Ruger Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a new gp100 that I’ve spent this morning trying to get the trigger assembly out of with no luck. I have changed springs in several Rugers and never had this problem before. The release pin will push in but I cannot get the assembly to release from the frame. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
It can be a woollybugger to remove when they are new. The first couple of times I removed the trigger assembly from my Match Champ, I depressed the pin, then used two hands, while my wife hammered (gently) on the grip mounting mainspring housing stub. Worked just fine. 🙂

·
Registered
6 Posts
It can be a woollybugger to remove when they are new. The first couple of times I removed the trigger assembly from my Match Champ, I depressed the pin, then used two hands, while my wife hammered (gently) on the grip mounting mainspring housing stub. Worked just fine. 🙂
I'm having the same problem. I can depress the detente, though it doesn't always look quite straight. The top of it has some rotational play. Either that is my issue or, more likely, the trigger assembly is wedged against the tang pretty hard. There are scrape lines where it originally slid into place like maybe the rough surfaces galled together.

When you say "the grip mounting mainspring housing stub" Does that mean using an oversized punch on the indent/hole through the frame where the hammer was on the top of the trigger assembly? That's my current plan once I grow a second pair of hands. I'll make more than sure it won't happen again once I have it apart.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,311 Posts
Here's a photo that might help. I've seen many GP-100s where the rear surface of the trigger group is too long. At the factory, rather than take a few seconds to file the surface down, they just slam the assembly into the frame. This causes a major bind when you try to remove the trigger group. Once you do get it unlatched (pushing the plunger in and prying down on the rear of the trigger group), unpopulate the assembly until only the trigger and remains (as shown in the photo). Try installing the trigger group and you will see it is slightly too long to fit. Take a file and dress the rear surface (just behind where the arrow points to the "Latch Retainer Pin Hole"). When the trigger group fits snug without having to be forced, it will come apart much easier the next time.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Here's a photo that might help. I've seen many GP-100s where the rear surface of the trigger group is too long. At the factory, rather than take a few seconds to file the surface down, they just slam the assembly into the frame. This causes a major bind when you try to remove the trigger group. Once you do get it unlatched (pushing the plunger in and prying down on the rear of the trigger group), unpopulate the assembly until only the trigger and remains (as shown in the photo). Try installing the trigger group and you will see it is slightly too long to fit. Take a file and dress the rear surface (just behind where the arrow points to the "Latch Retainer Pin Hole"). When the trigger group fits snug without having to be forced, it will come apart much easier the next time.

Just from my memory of attempting to reassemble my trigger group...AVOID disassembling the Cylinder Latch Plunger and spring! It is 2 1/2 Wollyboogers to reassemble😱...don't ask how I know this! Disassembly of these parts isn't strictly necessary for working on anything in the trigger group! The Trigger guard latch spring is one of the things necessary to replace, if you want a lighter trigger pull...both double action and single action. Mine was staked into the Latch Retainer Pin Hole, which caused difficulty removing it the first time. Smoothing up the Trigger Guard Latch helps dis and reassembly which should get easier the more you take it apart. Mine isn't going to get taken apart all that much...maybe for a once a year deep cleaning. YMMV. Good luck! 🙂

·
Registered
308 Posts

Great post, Iowegan! I'm going to try that part of the trigger assembly the next time I have my Match Champ apart! Thank you!🙂

·
Registered
308 Posts
Great post, Iowegan! I'm going to try that part of the trigger assembly the next time I have my Match Champ apart! Thank you!🙂
I'm having the same problem.
When you say "the grip mounting mainspring housing stub" Does that mean using an oversized punch on the indent/hole through the frame where the hammer was on the top of the trigger assembly? That's my current plan once I grow a second pair of hands. I'll make more than sure it won't happen again once I have it apart.
It sounds like we do the same thing...I use a punch big enough that it doesn't mark the trigger guard latch. I didn't notice any galling or gouging, but I did smooth the surfaces...except the rear of the trigger assembly as suggested by Iowegan. I will check the next time I have it apart, and may take just a smidge off, and see what happens. Good luck with yours.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts