Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of those holes in my 357 revolver collection is between the typical 2 " plus snub nose and the bigger, but more all around useful 4" barreled 357.

You see, I walk the dogs in our wild north woods every day with one eye out at all times for coyotes, wolves, fisher, black bears and other predators that might pose a danger for the dogs or even me. Oh, a snub nose 357 is fine for up close work, but the dogs tend to range out a bit and I may just need to take a shot out there at 25 yards or more on a smaller target, so I prefer something like our GP100 MC with its 4.2" barrel for more precision work out at a distance.

Love the MC, but wouldn't mind something a touch shorter and lighter without having to drop all the way down to a snub nose. I found such a gun in the Wiley Clapp 3" 1752 with its 3" barrel.

Love the matte stainless finish on the 1752, but I chose the WC 1752 because of its sights, particularly the front fiber optic sight. I need that brightness. Our coniferous forests are perennially dark and not a lot of bright sunny days, up here, either. The FO sight on this gun is just the ticket. Very well designed and because it is dovetailed in, I can always change it, if need be.

The rear sight is also excellent. It's large, blocky and leaves plenty of gap around the front sight for visibility. It's my idea of what a fixed sight should be.

Now, you might think that that extra inch or less over the typical snub nose doesn't count for much, but the full underdog on the Wiley Clapp gives the gun a much better overall balance and stability for accuracy work than a snubbie. Make no mistake, the WC shoots much more like the Match Champion.

From a rest at 25 yards, using factory bulk 357 158 grain PMC ammo, it was no problem keeping groups at 2" with the WC, with several in that inch and a half range, something I have not been able to do with our 686 Plus PC snubbie, even though the WC only weighs an ounce and a half more and has only an extra half inch of barrel. No sight adjustment needed, either. Just as it came, out of the box.

Love our 686 Smiths, I really do, but the trigger on this gun and our GP100 MC lose nothing to our best Smiths. In fact, I much prefer the DA feel of the Ruger GP100 to the 686 Smith. I'm definitely faster with the GP100 in DA. The 1752 WC is a very sweet shooter in DA.

Last, but not least for my use, the full grips on the WC make shooting even heavy bear loads a breeze, something I can not say for our snub nose 686 Plus PC snub nose with its thin wooden grips. To be sure, the Smith is the better gun for the sake of concealment, but I still don't think our neighborhood bears will notice the GP100 Wiley Clapp 1752 on my hip.

One session with the WC and it's already a contender for my favorite 357. Love this 357 mag revolver.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The WC GP100 is a great looking gun and looks like a handy carry size.
Good shooting, looks like it's working for you!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Congratulations on the WC! One of the best looking DA revolvers to ever come out of Newport, NH. And nice shooting as always.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Beautiful Wiley Clapp NCG! That particular model is high on my "need" list. Nice shooting as well. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, folks.

Still looking for a holster for the WC, Neon. Really eager to start carrying this gun out in the woods instead of my usual J frame Smiths, too. Really no comparison between what kind of accuracy I can squeeze out of the little J frames versus the WC at anything beyond up close and personal distances.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I am so jealous, we can not purchase these in California. I would really love to get one for most of the same reasons.

Enjoy that wonderful revolver.

Matt

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
All this thread did was to remind me how retarded Canadian Gun Laws are. Our 4.2 inch limit is just dumb!

Very nice revolver.

Bob

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
It's a goodun all right. Once I get the sights, grips, and action where I want them on my 1708 I'll probably be approaching where you started out of the box with the WC. But that's ok. Messing with stuff is part of the fun. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks, folks.

Still looking for a holster for the WC, Neon. Really eager to start carrying this gun out in the woods instead of my usual J frame Smiths, too. Really no comparison between what kind of accuracy I can squeeze out of the little J frames versus the WC at anything beyond up close and personal distances.
I have a Simply Rugged holster for my WC and it works great! I really tried to love the stock grips on the WC but while they work fine, they just didn't fit me as well as the Hogues so I switched the grip out. The 3inch 357 is a real winner with such a nice balance of power and concealabilty, yet it is still larger enough to shoot well.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks, again, folks.

As for legal restrictions, who ever knows the why of it. The logic of some of these laws escapes me.

As much as I love wood grips, I'll probably stay with the stock grips on my WC. Our climate is cold and often quite wet. Rubber grips do make more sense and I've always liked the looks of these traditional paneled wood GP grips, anyway. Hated to see them go on the standard GP line.

Yes, I keep hearing more and more about Simply Rugged, so time to take a look.

·
Registered
280 Posts
GP 100 3 inch are great guns. I was not a fan of short barrel revolvers but guys at the gun club sang their praises. As far as accuracy goes the gun is fine it's me that needs the work. I read that with the short barrel, a smooth trigger pull is more critical for accuracy. I reload so have put quit a few rounds down range an it has paid off. We also have ICORE matches and the guys are amazed at the accuracy. They always say "not bad for a 3 inch barrel" brings a smile to my face. Great choice for a woods gun. Stock grips are classy but, I tried the MC grips on mine and think I will stick with them. Your shooting looks dang good North country gal.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Jealous once again of the balance of the union and those 49 states that cool guns can be purchased in. However CA is slowly but surely seeing some of the other "distributor exclusives" show up at their door for inclusion on the CA Safety Roster. Sure, it costs the distributor some coin, however the CA market is a very large one if you can get your product into the state. This has been seen in of course most all of the single actions since they are expempt for the most part to CA's safety regs. But now some of the cooler double actions are making their way to the CA marketplace. The latest example was the TALO round butted snub nosed redhawk. Gobs are currently being sold in the state.

Hype a new exclusive for a year or so and the residents in CA are just pining for it so when It does make it to the list, lines are quickly formed at the local dealers to pick one up. So it would be with the Wiley Clapp series of exclusives including this model. I can't wait and certainly hope that it's in the plans to include this model as well. I too am a fixed sight and GP100 fan. Not too many examples have both let me tell you and the Wiley Clapp version is the best of both worlds as indicated. The premier fixed sighted revolver with it's barrel length choice and grips and sights being so easy to see through. Best of luck to you and your new shooter. Smithy.

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
Congratulations! I wish I had bought a 3 in GP vs a 3 in SP.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, again.

Smithy, I can't imagine what those California lawmakers have against a WC, but a bureaucrat is a bureaucrat. Hope things change for you folks.

Some of you know I am a big S&W revolver fan, but I have to say, the recent GP100s we've bought - an MC and this WC - have equally good SA triggers, but more importantly, better DA triggers than some of my 686 PC Smiths. Very important feature for the way I like to shoot these guns.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Very nice indeed one on my wish list. Though I'm partial to blued revolvers I believe your wc looks better than it's cousin in matte blue. I think yours shows off the nice wood panels well and with the rubber both give a good grip. Enjoy

·
Banned
365 Posts
After handling a WC recently at a LGS, I think I have my tax returns spent, as well as trading off extra federal reserve notes. There is just something about that little revolver that calls to me for CC/SD/HD.

BTW, I highly recommend the Simply Rugged holster. I have used various other holsters for years, but a Simply Rugged is the best leather holster I have ever used. They are well worth the money and wait to get.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Ditto's on the gun and on the leather. Simply Rugged is the best semi-custom non-SASS leather maker out there in my opinion. Kirkpatrick has them beat hands down on a full cowboy rig, but that is a very specialized set up and only a few need such a rig. Smithy

PS Simply Rugged also has a very classy dump pouch belt thingy that is made to specifically hold the Tuff speed strips for those that carry and like that form of reloading.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts