Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some other posts detailing the mount I made for the Burris FF3 and the reshaping of the Hogue grip and the milling I did on the hammer.

But today I did something that I had been contemplating for a while. I milled some .250 x .937 slots in the barrel lug

I love the look of the full barrel lug on this 6" GP, but I wasn't happy with how muzzle heavy it was. With these cuts in the lug it now feels a bit better balanced to me and still retains the great looks of that full lug, and I think it looks even better.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
I like that look. GP Fan's comment about the upside down Python was a good one! Man, now you got me thinkin'.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,543 Posts
That is a great custom touch on your GP! I think that it looks good. If it balances better for you then well done Sir.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think that looks outstanding, excellent work! And even better if it improves the handling for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry, no weight before or after, the only scales I have are bathroom scales and they are no where near sensitive enough for this. But using a weight calculator formula I get about 1.6 ounces.

But I'd do it for the looks even without the weight shift.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,501 Posts
Nice job, looks completely custom. Great work!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Looks like a nice symmetrical job, unique looking and nobody else has one, I like it, Hmm wonder why Ruger never thought of that?

·
Registered
110 Posts
That is a terrific venting job! See, this is why I love revolvers so much. They're just so cool.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Great work and result! Maybe I will do that to my SW617-6 some day.

How long did it take to accomplish?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great work and result! Maybe I will do that to my SW617-6 some day.

How long did it take to accomplish?
I probably spent about 30-45 minutes doing this. It could probably be done in 10-15 minutes, but I took extra steps to insure that I got no deflection from my end mill so I would have nice straight slots with no hooked ends. This included drilling start and stop holes at each end of the slots and pre milling the slots with a 3/16" end mill. Then I used a radius cutter to lightly round the edges.

Now that it's done, that top rib looks a little plain, I might take a 1/8" or 3 /16" ball mill and put some flutes down each side of it later.

Go ahead and get your SW617-6 done, I'm pretty sure you'll like it!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nice mod! I like it. MountainHunter, I like the idea of slotting the 617-6. I have one, and it's crazy accurate and nose heavy. Anything to shift the center of gravity back a little makes me a better shooter with it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice mod! I like it. MountainHunter, I like the idea of slotting the 617-6. I have one, and it's crazy accurate and nose heavy. Anything to shift the center of gravity back a little makes me a better shooter with it.
I love my 617-6 accuracy too. Going to see who can slot mine in my area and at least get a quote. Reducing front-end weight would really be welcomed!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I probably spent about 30-45 minutes doing this. It could probably be done in 10-15 minutes, but I took extra steps to insure that I got no deflection from my end mill so I would have nice straight slots with no hooked ends. This included drilling start and stop holes at each end of the slots and pre milling the slots with a 3/16" end mill. Then I used a radius cutter to lightly round the edges.

Now that it's done, that top rib looks a little plain, I might take a 1/8" or 3 /16" ball mill and put some flutes down each side of it later.

Go ahead and get your SW617-6 done, I'm pretty sure you'll like it!
The underlug on the SW617-6 doesn’t have as much room to make three slots like you made. I think the extractor rod is longer. So a different arrangement will be needed it appears. To be continued! Thank you for listing the details and time it took. If you make any more changes please post the pics/results!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts