Ruger Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
What GP100 Hammer is that ? did you modify it yourself ?
Yes that was something I did to lighten the hammer to get a faster lock time. Theoretically it had to have some effect, but practically it has no noticeable effect that I can tell.

However if you can see in the picture where I slimmed down the neck of the spur I find that this really makes for a nice looking hammer. It no longer looks like a utilitarian slab of steel and transforms it into a nicely crafted piece of firearm art.

I used a milling machine with carbide end mill to do the work on the hammer because that is some very hard stainless Ruger uses. But I'm sure a Dremel took with some grinding stones could be used to neck down the spur followed by a buffing wheel and polish to finish it off.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Awesome, thanks ! I actually thought it was a wider than factory spur from the original pictures, I never even considered a milled original ! I always wished Ruger (or some aftermarket company) would offer a wide target hammer like S&W did. I have even considered tig welding a S&W spur to a Ruger Hammer !

You might have inspired me to take apart one of my revolvers and attack it with my mill...

41 - 43 of 43 Posts