Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come across something on my new GP100 that I've never seen before, but maybe some of our more Ruger knowledgeable members have. The barrel stub/forcing cone area of my GP100 is faceted where it screws into the frame. Appears to have had 6 easily visible flats machined into it. I've owned lots of revolvers, and my share of Rugers, but have not encountered this before. But this is the first GP100 I've owned, so perhaps this feature is common knowledge to some of you guys. Is it?
GP100 (1).JPG
GP100 (5).JPG

·
Registered
88 Posts
Your example looks a little different than mine. I did my best to capture a good comparison. This one shipped in 2014.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
I currently have 3 gp100’s and none look like that. I have never seen that before.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Anybody that ever stayed at a Holiday Inn would know , that can't be a good idea.
Never seen that ,,,,on any gun.
I say send that picture to Ruger.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
My GP100 was made in 2010, and it looks like the pictures given by flgolfer29. I have never seen one looking like the OP pictures.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I've owned a few GP100's and yours is the first I have seen with a forcing cone like that. That is really strange. Did you purchase it new or used? I get the feeling that someone rebarreled and bubba'd that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks like a few places for powder crud to hide, but I suppose it should shoot OK. Yeah, like said up above, send pics to Ruger & see what they say. But, beware, if they say send it back but it shoots ok, you may want to just keep it as is. It could possibly be on a volley ball court going back & forth from Ruger to you. Now I have to go look at mine, but I don't think either has that...I'd notice when I cleaned after shooting.

·
Premium Member
13,953 Posts
My GP100 does not have the hex barrel. I would be on Ruger about that one.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I’ve bought 2 new GP100’s (1705’s) in the last month and neither has that barrel breach configuration. Ruger hasn’t gone to a two-piece barrel for the GP100 have they?

I like mine. No factory flaws, good lock up, decent trigger pulls, nice and accurate. I replaced the Hogue finger groove grips with the Hogue no-finger groove style, added a high factory rear sight blade so the sight body didn’t ride so high in the frame, and replaced the mainspring with an ISMI Silicon spring. I’m going to see how I like a fiber optic front sight the next time I hit the range.

Best Regards,
ADP3

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm. I bought my GP100 new and it's a 2018 model. Mine isn't quite an octagon, but it's definitely not round either. Hard to get clear pics, but here's a couple...

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I really hope that the OP sends photos to Ruger and asks for an explanation. I would be most interested in hearing Ruger's reply.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FWIW, Mine is a Lipseys 5" 10MM half lug gun I ordered and purchased new from a LGS within the last couple weeks. Thanks for the pictures sholxgt. From what I can see, your gun is like mine. Ruger's serial number look up indicates my gun was manufactured in 2018 like yours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's a video on Hickock and his 10mm has that same thing. Maybe they did that to cut down on weight. I'm guessing 10mm is a larger barrel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too have a GP100 and mine does not look like that! I have never seen this before! I would send those pictures to Ruger and ask them about this!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts