Ruger Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 25-year-old GP100 has a round barrel end. So maybe the flats are a new manufacturing process. I agree with everyone else, contact Ruger.
I'm happy to say that my GP100 is still rock solid after many thousands of rounds sent downrange.
And I just installed a new 9-lb hammer spring from Wilson Combat that feels great.
But I'm debating whether or not to replace the trigger spring with either a 9-lb or 10-lb one. Any comments on doing that?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Lighter hammer and trigger return springs will reduce trigger pull weight, but it takes some testing to make sure you don't get any light strikes and also that the trigger return spring is strong enough to reliably reset the trigger after each shot. My 5 inch bbl GP100 has an 8 lb trigger return spring in it and it will reset with no problem, but I had another GP100 that would not. This is all good for range and target shooting, but for personal protection I would stick with stock springs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The nice Ruger Customer Service lady I spoke with was unaware of what I was describing. I did send photos. I suspect this is, as Boxwalker indicated, normal now. I'm sure curious, as I've never seen anything like this on any firearm before....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Maybe it will help Ruger reduce the number of handguns it sends out with front sights that don't 'point up'. A machine might well be able to orient the barrel to the frame better with a hex or octagonal shank machined on it. Certainly Quality Control has had issues recognizing barrel orientation as an issue in the past.

Bruce

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,844 Posts
Following with interest only because these kinds of subtle changes are classic Ruger. They’re minor changes to facilitate some sequence of operation in assembly or part manufacture and are adopted without alerting the armchair forum experts who view everything with suspicion and mistrust. Like the threaded insert firing pin assembly. Or the use of MIM parts. Over at S&W such changes usually require a new dash number to the model number and you can associate small changes with when they were adopted and it’s all pretty well documented Things don’t work that way in Rugerland. If we could see the fixtures and process used by Ruger to assemble the barrel into the frame we would likely all go “ahhh....I get it.”

·
Registered
445 Posts
I bought my 10mm in April and noticed that the barrel end was hexagonal instead of round. I just chalked it up to a small change in design and didn't think about it again - until now I don't consider it an issue.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I’ll bet it is a design change to help index the barrel during assembly resulting in fewer “canted” barrels.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yea, I agree, just an engineering change to somehow facilitate production. I don't consider it an "issue", just a curiosity I'd never encountered before.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts