Ruger Forum banner

GP100

879 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ERSisk 
#1 ·
Picked up a seven shot GP100. In order to get close to point of aim, I have the rear sight jacked all the way to the right. What are my options? I can not live with it like that. My OCD requires rear sights to be centered or at least close to it.

#3 ·
Check the rear sight itself. Is it centered in the top strap? I bought a used red hawk years ago off gunbroker and was experiencing the same issues you are describing. After some careful examination I discovered the recess for the body of the rear sight is machined slightly off center in the top strap. I can see no fix for this other than complete replacement of the firearm. I was really bummed but the gun does shoot to point of aim with the sight blade set all the way to the right and is good to go in every other way so I just chalked it up to Rugers typical hit or miss quality control and tried to forget about it. Perhaps I should contact Ruger and see if they would stand behind it now after all these years, but I’m a little afraid if they did the replacement would have some other issue that would be more serious and it would just start a huge chain of frustration for me. Taught me a lesson about buying online though.

#4 ·
A more likely issue is .... the barrel was not screwed in quite far enough. This makes the front sight "lean " to the right and of course the gun will shoot to the left when the rear sight is centered. The fix is to unscrew the barrel, remove a few thousandths of metal from the front of the frame that contacts the barrel, then screw the barrel back on. This is not a "kitchen table gunsmith" job .... it requires a special barrel wrench and other special tools. The best solution is to send the gun back to Ruger with a letter explaining the problem. This is a fairly common problem with revolvers so Ruger will know exactly what to do.

#6 ·
Believe you are right, using machinist vise and square top of rib seems a couple or three degrees off plumb when compared to frame and grip extension. Like it needs to be a squeak tighter. Going to call Ruger, but I may just put a Weigand rail and red dot on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.