Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to pick up my new 6" SS GP100 at the shop last night, and got a surprise when the box popped open. Instead of the wood inlay grips I thought I was getting, it had a Hogue grip on it. The grip had the Ruger emblem on it, even.

I was surprised, but pleasantly surprised. I've heard nothing but great things about the Hogue.

My question is, was this something my gunshop guy special ordered unintentially? Or is this the new standard grip for GP100s?

The beauty in question:

I can't wait to try it out.

·
Banned
723 Posts
Congrats on the new GP100. :)

I heard, could be wrong, that the company that made the rubber stocks for Ruger is no longer in business. If that's the case then all the new Rugers will be coming with Hogue Stocks.

Personally I like the older stocks with the wood inlay. I changed the inlays on my GP100 to give it a "custom" look. I don't like the plain black rubber stocks, and they tend to "stick" to my clothing more than the rubber stocks with the wood inlay. I also found that the original stocks fit my hand better than the stocks with finger grooves. I have to take a dremel tool to the few rubber stocks with finger grooves that I do own to make them fit my hand.

Biker

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,477 Posts
BikerRN, You're close ... Lett Co. made the wood grip inserts for the Ruger rubber grip. Lett is no longer in business ... don't know who made the rubber part. I'm sure Ruger is buying the Hogue grips much cheaper than the rubber grips with Lett inserts and locator pin. All new GP-100s and Super Redhawks will have the rubber Hogues. The good news is ... Hogue grips are excellent, even though I prefer the old style.

Anyone remember when S&W released the Mod 686-4? It was the first S&W to be factory equipped with Hogue rubber grips instead of the nice Goncalo Alves wood target grips. That was the first significant engineering change (dash number) that really had a big impact on manufacturing costs. Each additional dash number has made the gun cheaper to make yet S&W prices have still increased a lot.

All the Ruger single action revolvers now come with el cheapo plastic grips instead of rose wood. Not but a few years ago, Ruger was using walnut but switched to rosewood because they were half the price. My older 10/22 has a walnut stock ... now they are stained birtch. The Charger and 10/22 now have a plastic trigger guard assembly instead of metal. Anybody see a patern here? Maybe I'm just old fashoned but I like real metal and real wood in my guns and I'm willing to pay extra for it. I think it would be great if Ruger offered wood (or wood insert) grips as an option but that's not likely to happen.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wish they would keep the old style. The Hogues are well made grips, but they don't fit my hand as well. Nice gun by the way.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I like the option of replacing grips with Hogues and have them on 4 pistols. I've thought about trying Hogues on my GP100, but haven't since I like the Rosewood inlay. If I get a Blackhawk, I know part of the purchase price will include replacing the black rubber grips. Ruger's website still shows rosewood grips until you drill down a bit, then you find "discontinued."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm asking here because I haven't seen a single mention of the change on Ruger's site, or even on Gunbroker for NIB GP100s. Maybe I just got an early one.

>> I'm sure Ruger is buying the Hogue grips much cheaper than the rubber grips
Like, I said, it was a pleasant surprise as I'd thought about trying a Hogue rubber grip anyway, but the wood inlays were a little "classier". Now, I'm thinking about getting an all-wood Hogue grip for the gun's formal wear. :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Willybone,
Interesting thread.

Bought a stainless,6" full lug GP100.....
I own the same model.
JMHO, but ya great choice, mine is accurrate as hell!

As far as HOGUE VS factory grips......
I have used more than one HOGUE.

My GP wears factory grips and love em.....but.....

If like the feel of the HOGUE's....go for them.

You really can't go bad with either... ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
>> mfg in Jan 2008, came from Ruger w/ the Hogue, not special ordered...

Well alright, there's another. I wonder when the marketing material is going to catch up with the change. I don't mind, but I imagine there's got to be some guys who would be unhappy with the unexpected switch. Ruger should at least put a footnote on the GP100 info page.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Three weeks ago, I bought a GP100 with "old style with wood insert grip". Last week, the store had new stocks come in and they were fitted with Hogue grips.

My 686 has a Hogue but for the GP100, the old grips seem to fit better.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Appears to be standard equipment now

I just got back from the local shop. They had new Ruger GP100 in with the Hogue rubber grips on it. I actually like them much better than the old style. I think they will make the guns even more comfortable to shoot in extended range sessions.

Shooter429

·
Registered
13 Posts
ptblank,

What kind of wood grip is that on your 3" blued GP? I just bought a 3" stainless GP that came with the rubber Hogue. I was disappointed that it didn't have the traditional grip. But I do like the solid wood grip you have on your 3" GP.

Thanks,

mick101

·
Banned
108 Posts
You can find the factory grips on ebay fairly often. I am getting a new 4" GP100 and am glad I have a few sets of the Compact Ruger factory GP 100 grips to use for it. There are also lots of really nice wood inserts for the factory grips to be had on ebay. I tried the hogues on other GP100's and went back to the factory grips because they just feel right to me and I like the classic look. The wood hogues do look very nice too and offer great control and feel.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,477 Posts
Infantryman, All GP-100s and Super Redhawks have exactly the same grip frame so .... yes, the compact grips will fit the SRH ... might be a real handful to shoot with full power loads though.

Further, all SP-101s and GP-100 compact grips use the same inserts.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts