Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my Ruger letter confirming my GPNY as a KGPFNY-841 .38 Special shipped in February 1991. I'm thinking mine is one of the rare 500 or less as its DA/SA with a spurred hammer, target gray finish and wood grips with rubber inserts. Anyway to confirm? Thanks!

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have a GPNY, it came with the compact Letts with SP101 Delrin inserts, spurless hammer and matte finish i.e. "Target Grey" .....from what I understand Ruger sold "over runs" marked GPNY but those did not have the Matte TG finish, had compact Letts with wood inserts, and did have spurred hammers.

You have full size Letts on your gun, the TG finish and a spurred hammer....I'm stuck thinking either someone bought a GPNY (maybe an NYPD officer) or some regular person just bought it used, and later added the spurred hammer and large Lett grips.....or Ruger sold it as a TG finished over run. It would not likely have left the factory with large Letts, the Ruger letter should give the configuration it left the factory in.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Either way you have a real neat gun, and all GPNY GP's are rare, as not many were purchased by NYPD officers since they weren't on the "approved for sale" list very long, and the NYPD went to semi autos shortly after (S&W 5946, etc)

Here is mine, the Letts were falling apart so I put Pachmayr Grippers on it, which are the only "alternate" grip approved by the NYPD, so I could keep it "right" :) My GPNY came to me very well used, I think mine was actually purchased by an NYPD officer.

I had read that some were also sold/given to the NYSP but like a lot of Ruger info it's shrouded in mystery.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Army11B - thanks so much for the information. Interesting observation on the Lett grips as I'm not familiar with the different sizes ( this is my first Ruger revolver). The Ruger letter was very general in only specifying model # and year shipped.

Your GPNY looks nice and has me thinking I may want to collect more Ruger NYPD variants.

Thanks again and I'll add a few more pics to see if anything jumps out to you.

Attachments

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I'll only add what I read in my copy of the RENE Reference of Ruger Firearms - the KGPFNY-831 (3") and KGPFNY-841 (4") were double action only (spurless hammer), matte stainless finish and all-rubber grip. "GPNY" rollmarked on one side of cylinder frame. "A total of at least 2,561 of both models were purchased by the New York City Police Department. Both are extremely scarce."

The overrun GPs are the KGPFNY-841 with regular production brushed stainless finish, a spur hammer and Lett grip with goncalo alves grip inserts. "Probably not over 500 produced." RENE doesn't comment on the size of the Lett grip - compact or full size. It seems the general practice in that era was the fixed sight GPs got the compact Letts, others got the full size. But who knows what the factory put on the overruns - it could even be a mix of the two. I don't think Ruger ever sweats the details like this and if the guy on the line putting these together ran out of compacts he would likely slap on a full size and ship it.

As a note, neither are finished in the Target Gray finish. Target Gray was a tumbled finish with a distinctive soft gray color and finish. Old, well used GPs take on a distinctive patina all their own.

I would guess that the OP's example is from the overrun batch. The factory letter is an example of how minimal factory info is and why Ruger collecting is not an easy task. The letter is lacking in details and Ruger never discloses any production numbers on anything so there's always an element of the unknown. Sources like the RENE Reference have to use words like probably, likely, approximately, etc. when discussing numbers.

Regardless, any GPNY is certainly uncommon and a nice find, especially for those who have an interest in duty guns.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just did a quick search on Lett grips /GPNY and found some information around a "Medium" size shipped on GPNYs vs the Compact or Full. Old posts so the pictures were not there...not sure if anyone has heard of these...

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Just did a quick search on Lett grips /GPNY and found some information around a "Medium" size shipped on GPNYs vs the Compact or Full. Old posts so the pictures were not there...not sure if anyone has heard of these...
Hmmmm.....been messing about with the GP for a few years now and have never heard of any other size Lett besides the full and compact. I'm skeptical but with Ruger never say never. It's kinda hard to see the need for a size between the two given that the full size and compacts are not dramatically different in size as it is.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I'll add to the excellent information provided by Army11B and Waveform:

First and foremost, you have a really cool gun!

Additionally, I think that the hammer may have been replaced at some time but it could be an original hammer fitted to one of the overrun GPNY's. The fact that you have a factory letter tends to support that you have real GPNY and not a fake.

When talking about NYPD's revolver era, the GPNY came very late to that party. NYPD was solidly into the DAO guns by the late 1980's and the GPNY's were the last of the NYPD revolvers. I've never seen a NYPD GPNY that had a hammer with a spur or single action capability but as Army11B stated, there were overruns marked GPNY.

The fact that yours is finished with a brighter polish and not the target grey is also an indication that it may have been one of the rare overrun guns.

From a historical viewpoint the GPNY's hold a very special place. They were the last of the line of NYPD revolvers. Those guns marked the end of an era. Not only were the GPNY's the last of the revolvers for the NYPD, they were some of the very best revolvers used by the NYPD. Those GP-100 based guns are incredibly tough. Like all NYPD revolvers they were chambered in 38 Special (NYPD never sanctioned the .357 magnum) and that resulted in a gun that was seriously overbuilt for that cartridge. The stainless steel construction was also a plus in terms of durability.

ENJOY !!

·
Registered
345 Posts
You also might want to find the .38 DAO Service Six, marked with a star under the crane. I have one, I also had a S&W 64-5 DAO but I sold it. Both of these are much more common then the GPNY.

I saw a 3" GPNY GP100 go for over $1,000 on GunBroker, these are extremely scarce. There's also the SPNY, the SP101 version approved by the NYPD as off duty guns.

Here's a pic of my NYPD Service Six and the NYPD S&W 64-5 I used to have. Both shot the exact same, I let the S&W go, probably should have just kept it.

I had these blue Kirinite insert grips on the GPNY for a picture I took as an "NYPD tribute", those grips ended up on another GP I have and the Pachmayrs went on, I like the Pachs, they give it an "all business" look:)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.