Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range shooting my new RAR and I noticed the grouping for the 130 grain ammo was all over the place. Granted, I'm a new shooter, minimal knowledge on adjusting my scope properly, and probably don't know the nuances yet to be asking this question.

I was using Federal 130 grain. My first group was about 2 inches, from center, down two inches and one inch to the left. I tried to compensate on my scope (mildot) for this group. I shot 20 rounds of the 130 grain and it seemed like my shots were everywhere.

Before I left, I tried some of the Monarch (Academy's brand) 150 grain. I only shot 4 rounds of it but every shot went exactly where I was aiming. Literally the group was within a inch size.

Yes, I'm a novice but I know enough that it seemed like the 150 grain worked better for me. Any advice?

·
Banned
402 Posts
Who installed the scope, was lock tite used ??
What do you mean compensate with the scope,?
do you know how to use a mill dot scope ?
Was the scope put on correctly ?
IE. up down turret on top, wind-age turret on the side.
Were the screws that hold the action to the stock evenly locked down ?
Did you shoot from a rest ?
what distance ?
You might say the 270 was made for 130 grain bullets, never saw one that didn't like them. The 150 grain will shoot to a different point of aim.
Clean out the copper from the barrel and give it another try.
Mill dot scopes are very specialized scopes and take some learning to use them properly, the dots are not holdover dots.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have been more specific. The scope is 3x9 50mm. Installed by the shop I bought it. Bore sighted at 25 yards at the gun range. Everything was tightened and locked down. Gun range tech made a few tweaks to make sure. Windage dial is on the right hand side. I shot from a bench rest. Used at target at 100 yards.

What I meant by "compensating" is that my first group, aiming at the bullseye, went down two inches and one inch to the left; I aimed two inches up and one inch to the right when I tried the 150 grain rounds. Using the 150s, they went exactly where I was aiming, two inches up and one inch to the right.

I have a family friend, who is an expert marksman, who is going to show me the ropes over Christmas. He said if I thought 150 grain works better, use 150 grain.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
No need for kentucky windage with a scope thats what the adjustment knobs are for. What matters is group size. Each rifle will handle different bullets and bullet weights differently. Once you find a load that gives you the groups you are looking for then stick with it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I went out shooting my .243 RAR and used a 95 gr, 100gr, and another 100gr. All three boxes shot pretty close to identical.

It took me a minute to understand that let the rest do all the work. Hold the stoc down in the sled to keep it from kicking up. Also, when sighting at 100, take your shot, have a spotter with a better scope track it. say it goes down 1" and left 1". Put your cross hair dead center of the bullseye, and have your spotter turn your dials and move your cross hair over to where that bullet went. you stay holding the gun tight and let them adjust it. we had mine hitting shotgun shells at 100 yards with ease.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.