Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 20 minutes of gun safety points (as much as I thought he could retain) it was time for my 7 year old grandsons first shots. My old Remington 514 single shot 22 lr was what he used. Tin can was approximately 20 yards away. Can I say the little fella had a blast.

Not sure why it turned it portrait.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,761 Posts
Great day for the family. Your grandson will always remember this day. You did a good thing here and I wish you many more.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow! Great shot!

Reactions: jredwar

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Well done! Safe firearm handling, swinging a hammer, turning a wrench, doing electrical & plumbing, are all great lessons to be taught. These lessons will pay off through out a persons life. Keep up the good work OP.

Reactions: jredwar

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Ya better save that 1st target can, put the date on it set it up on a shelf. That's a happy grandson right there. Taking him shooting is good for both of you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly what I told him to do. It's on the shelf with his baseball trophies. (c:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Congrats on getting him started right. Did my oldest grandson at 8mand now he wants to go into competition and I am supporting him all the way. Now you have someone that will treasure the memories and the guns you share.

·
Registered
10 Posts
jCan I say the little fella had a blast.[/QUOTE said:
I'm 72 and still remember clear as a bell when my dad let me first shoot his Stevens 22. When he is 72, he will remember. Give him the gun when he is old enough, I have the Stevens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A Remington 514, You must be older than dirt?

Just kidding. When I was in Jr. High School in 1961& 62 I was on the NRA Shooting Team. We practiced in the basement of the gym. I carried my 514 with Williams Peep Sight with me on the bus every Tuesday and Thursday. Never a complaint from the bus driver, or the school, or other kids parents. I once forgot my ammo and had to walk from the school about 6 blocks to the local gun store with the rifle slung across my shoulder. Went in the store bought a box and walked back to practice. No one in town said a word, and the clerk didn't hesitate to sell me the ammo. Fond memories of that 514. My grandson's now use it. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice, very nice! Picked up a wood stocked savage rascal for my grandson last year at age 6. He got so good with that I let him shoot the S&W 15-22 this month. Living in a rural area we get to shoot together a couple times a month. Such fun. A life time of memories for us both

·
Registered
227 Posts
Next session take a sixpack of V8 or tomato juice in the can and let him shoot those. Or just put water in a tin can. The flying watertomato juice adds to the entertainment factor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
my first .22 also

I am 58, and shot my brother's Remington for the first time when I was five.
He gave me the gun and I still have it. Still hits sparrows at 100 yards?? Thank you for introducing a kid to the shooting sports. We ALL need to do this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts