Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is the right place to ask this question.. My grandmother passed away and I inherited her H&R .32 magnum, my question is how do I get it registered to me.. I live in MI, I'm going to contact LE but any info first would be great... Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Depends on a few things. Do you have a Michigan CPL? If you do, then simply fill out the RI-60 with you as buyer and have Grandmother's next of kin or personal representative sign as seller, and send it in. If no CPL, you will have to get a License to Purchase first, then follow the instructions.

IANAL and here is a link to MSP.

Under Pistol Registration, Purchase, and Transfer for Michigan Residents see questions #8 and #13.

MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs

Here is a link to the RI-60
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-060_6454_7.pdf

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
I bought a gun for my sister last year. She lives in Texas and I live in Oklahoma. I executed a bill of sale to her and she went to a FFL in her home town and paid $20 to have it registered in her name so she would be legal when she went for her CCL.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Your sheriff's office should be able to help with everything you need, mine has been pretty helpful, anyways. Now, under new laws, you can go to any law enforcement agency for a purchase permit, good for thirty days. It should be no problem as there are specific rules for inherited firearms.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I should have asked if the gun and Grandmother were both in Michigan.
When I moved from out of state to Michigan it was very easy to register my ten handguns (other than writer's cramp). I just had to have the serial numbers and fill out the forms. Two of them were inherited from my uncle in Tennessee.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I.W.
Unless to plan to get a concealed carry permit for it, I wouldn't do anything. The State cannot track the fire arm to you if they at some later date decide to out law them or levy a yearly fee to keep it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
He asked what to do to have the gun registered, which is required by law in the state of Michigan. Whether you agree with the law or not is not the issue. Encouraging someone to break the law, on an open forum no less, is at the very least unwise.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Make no mistake, I am no fan of registration. We are working, within the system, to try and get rid of these ineffectual and infringing laws we currently are living under in Michigan. Unfortunately it is going to be a long slog, but we are seeing some results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts