Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some guidance from the forum after I didn't find much of anything on the topic of whether the top and sides of the charging handle should be (lightly) greased/oiled as it's metal-on-metal?

I ask this question for three reasons because:
  • I'm one of those engineer types who RTFM that came w the MPR, and neither p. 39 of said manual nor Ruger's TechTips videos address this particular topic
  • I've always lightly greased the rails of my pistol's (Sig P320's) grip module to reduce/eliminate friction points so that the slide moves freely. The same can be said for almost any two parts where metal-on-metal exists
  • when I pull back on the MPR's charging handle, it sounds like the rails on an old fashioned snow sled that's being dragged over bare asphalt/concrete (okay... it's not quite that bad, but you get my point as it just doesn't sound healthy)

Lastly, I haven't fired a single round yet, so I'm just trying to cover some bases w folks who know the MPR.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
You should lightly oil the charging handle on the top and sides. It will probably still be rough sounding tho until it gets some use. After a while you will see some shiny spots on it and that is where the rub is. Some of the noise and grit you are feeling is the bolt carrier group wearing in the receiver. After it is broken in, it may quiet down and smooth out some. I have some ARs that are smooth as butter and some that are rough and grindy like that. After a while, there is some improvement on the rough ones, but it has not completely gone away. A better quality charging handle from BCM or one of the other premium manufacturers may help. Also, several hundred rounds through the rifle will help. Sometimes it's the CH and sometimes it's the receiver itself.

I don't remember if my MPR was rough when it was new, but I installed a BCM enhanced charging handle. Just now checked it and it is smooth and quiet. I have replaced all the charging handles on my ARs with after market handles. I also replaced the entire bolt carrier group in my Ruger MPR, so that may have made a difference too. I did not like the design of the Ruger OEM carrier group with the exposed firing pin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Bozz48
Thank you very much for the detailed reply as it gave me some additional insights re: the BCG that I would not have known otherwise.

If you don't mind a related follow-up question... can provide some additional details on the replacement BCG and the design issue(s) of the OEM BCG?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Replacing the OEM BCG is as simple as buying a new one and installing it. I like the Palmetto State Armory premium BCG because of the price and quality. It comes complete with the bolt and has the full auto profile. Doesn't make your AR full auto. A full auto BCG has more mass, which cold contribute to reliability. Also, the exposed firing pin of a semi-auto could possibly lead to a bent firing pin. Ruger is the only firearms manufacturer that I know of that still installs the semi-auto version in their ARs. Well, my MPR came with the semi-auto version, but that was a couple years ago. Maybe they have recently made the change to full auto.

At any rate, it is not a necessity to change out the BCG. It is just something I wanted to do. But here is a short video explaining how to identify semi vs full auto.

·
Registered
617 Posts
@Bozz48
Thank you very much for the detailed reply as it gave me some additional insights re: the BCG that I would not have known otherwise.

If you don't mind a related follow-up question... can provide some additional details on the replacement BCG and the design issue(s) of the OEM BCG?

Thank you in advance!
Google "shrouded firing pin vs exposed firing pin ar-15". Long story short is that Colt produced a BCG where the firing pin was unshrouded and the collar on the firing pin cocked the hammer back vs the ramp on the BCG with the shrouded firing pin. This design was a result anti gunners and Colt wanting to ensure that the rifle could not be modified from semi auto to full auto. The design is no longer used by Colt or most other manufacturers. I read somewhere that the Ruger MPR now has a shrouded firing pin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Bozz48

Your reading is confirmed!

I just purchased my rifle on Sep 21, 2021 from Dunham's, and the good news is that I can put those upgrade $ somewhere else on the MPR 😉

Thanks again!!

Automotive lighting Hood Grille Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
I put in my extra PSA fa bolt carrier with my Ruger bolt in my MPR. Runs fine and the Ruger bolt carrier is now the spare. Just seems to me a full auto bolt is going to be easier on the firing pin. jmho

Reactions: Tacky and trbo046

·
Registered
99 Posts
I always grease the parts that slide, including the charging handle. A decent film of grease stays in place and lubes longer than oil. Oil will always run off too quick.

·
"The Real Deal"
9,108 Posts
Bozz hit the nail on the head, oil the crap out of it until the parts break in, they are gonna feel gritty. Thats just it wearing in. You will get less malfunctions that way. It should settle down when you get a couple hundred rounds through it. Still run the bolt wet.

Im with the other guys im not much on the ruger bcg, perfer the m16 heavier version. Tool craft, spikes, all make great bolt carriers.

But if your using the rifle as a defensive carbine, run the bolt wet, but do not insert a round in the chamber, or insert the magazine, that way you wont get oil migrating into the round and making it not go bang. Just keep a loaded mag handy.

A good chamber brush will be needed as well to keep the barrel extension clean where the bolt locks in. Cleaning the gas tube is not required, it has between 19k and 50k psi going through it depending on its length, never cleaned any of mine, never an issue. Keep in mind the jaws of life i use on vehicle accidents is around 20k psi, as a comparison. I cut cars in half with them.

Just a little additions to consider.

Reactions: trbo046 and Sr40ken

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Tacky
Tyvm for the additional insights… I really appreciate everyone on this forum who has been willing to share their knowledge!

·
"The Real Deal"
9,108 Posts
@Tacky
Tyvm for the additional insights… I really appreciate everyone on this forum who has been willing to share their knowledge!
No problem, always glad to help. Im known for my affection to the ar style guns, built many from scratch, and have been shooting them for over 20 years. So if you run into any other questions feel free to PM me, ill help if i can.

Reactions: trbo046
1 - 12 of 12 Posts