Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a used "plain Jane" 10/22. It was my first 10/22 ever. It has the old hardwood stock and aluminum trigger guard and was in near-perfect condition. I mounted a Tasco Pronghorn 3-9x32 scope on it and took it to a nearby indoor range.

After sighting-in, I was able to put 9 out of 10 rounds (rapid fire) into a 1" Shoot-N-C target at 25 yards. A few moments later, I put 3 rounds into a dime-sized target at the same distance! I could have shot like that all afternoon. The rifle seemed to shoot just as well with four different brands, weights, and configurations of ammo. I am quite happy with the results so far.

I haven't been to a good outdoor range yet, but I will report results as soon as I can! :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
"rapid fire" is what we called wasting ammunition....you can throw lead or you can hit a target....Remember 1" at 25 yards means 2" at 50 yards...which means you just missed your target....Learn to walk before you try to run.....Have fun...shoot straight....shoot often

·
Registered
74 Posts
You call it wasting ammo, some of us call it fun. That's why we are shooting a rifle/pistol that costs pennies a shot. Plenty of different reasons to shoot, enough for all of us to have fun. No need to condone anyone else since the OP doesn't appear to be shooting unsafely.

·
Registered
784 Posts
It really is a good rifle. Love it. It is a have fun rifle. My oldest daughter loves shooting it. Yiogo

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
That's fine accuracy for a little carbine. We sometimes forget, in our mad rush to turn a 10/22 into a target rifle, that it is a little carbine with a lightweight barrel and barrel band and that it began life as a fun gun, way back in '64, not a target gun. My stock 10/22s shoot about the same at 25 yards and I also love shooting them that way.

As to rapid fire, that's a matter of definition. It is not necessarily throwing ammunition, away. I get in a groove shooting my Mark pistols, for instance, and can shoot what some folks might observe as shooting "rapidly" , but I can do it with with great accuracy and so can a lot of experienced shooters when working a semi-auto. Just a matter of timing your trigger pull,sight picture and the muzzle jump, which can be done, quickly, because you don't have to change your grip to cycle an action. Shooting, rapidly, and disciplined shooting are not mutually exclusive. Any action shooter will attest to that. if you're putting 9 out of 10 rounds into a 1" circle at 25 yards, rapid-fire, you are not wasting ammo. That's good shooting, in my book.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I recently bought a used "plain Jane" 10/22. It was my first 10/22 ever. It has the old hardwood stock and aluminum trigger guard and was in near-perfect condition. I mounted a Tasco Pronghorn 3-9x32 scope on it and took it to a nearby indoor range.

After sighting-in, I was able to put 9 out of 10 rounds (rapid fire) into a 1" Shoot-N-C target at 25 yards. A few moments later, I put 3 rounds into a dime-sized target at the same distance! I could have shot like that all afternoon. The rifle seemed to shoot just as well with four different brands, weights, and configurations of ammo. I am quite happy with the results so far.

I haven't been to a good outdoor range yet, but I will report results as soon as I can! :D
I agree the plain jane 10/22 is capable of great accuracy.I have two that are tack drivers.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Congratulations! You have just discovered what the owners of some six million of this little rifle have. It is a lot of fun to shoot. Don't get put off by the "that's not accuracy" group. We all have opinions and you know what they say about opinions.
You will find that these some of these little carbines can be capable of fine accuracy. I hope you and you family enjoy your trips to the range. The main thing is to have fun and be safe.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Why put the fella down ? if he shoots fast ( call it what you may )
Stays on target, does it safely, can pay for the ammo, makes it home for dinner Yada,yada,
What's the harm ? what did I miss ?
I don't see any willy nilly disregard going on.
Just saying.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Nice Shootin' Cowpoke! Now slow it down and put 10 shots in the same hole. I think You can do it Buddy. Concentrate and breath easily. I say within one week you can plug 'em all into the same hole. I think You can outshoot Pmoper.

·
Registered
127 Posts

That untouched little RB carbine will give you many years of fun shooting. The last time my son and I went to the range we took 2 factory untouched RB carbines. We both had a lot of fun just blazing away with no expectations. I hated when we had to pack up and head for home. This weekend at the gun show I'm going to pick up 2 BX 25s from one of the vendors that sells them for 20 out the door so that next time we can really fill the air with lead. He's 38 Im 65 and we have spent years tring to put one hole on top of another which is also fun but for now this is just pure kid again fun.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I love blasting away with mine...but not at paper...especially from a rest...much prefer to do that at targets that move when hit standing up shooting off hand...outdoors...not at an organized range...

It is only a waste if you didn't think you got your moneys worth out of the 500 bullets you fired off for $20...

If you think that was fun just wait till you get to go thru a box of bulk ammo shooting at reactive targets (plinking if you will) outdoors somewhere... :)

I would rather hang with old hickok 45 than go try to be a sniper at 50 yards shooting at a sheet of paper with a 22...but that is just my opinion...

This guy knows how to have a good day... :)

Ruger 10/22 - YouTube

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was in one of my favorite gunshops today and found a 10/22 plain Jane manufactured in 1975. It is in beautiful condition and the price was right so I bought it. It is just me, but I like the plain carbine model. I plan to shoot it Thursday and hopfully will have pics by then too.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You call it wasting ammo, some of us call it fun.
I put a GM Fluted Target barrel, and souped up the trigger on mine, just so I could place a large volume of fire on a spot, with precision. It does that with ease, offhand.

On the flip, head shots on tree rats at 75yds+ can easily be had. The original barrel/trigger, not so easy.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Still no pics, but I did shoot my new 10/22. I used open sights and think I am going to put a red dot sight on it. I am trying to find the best way to shoot a rifle with my aging eyes. I checked the serial number for the mfg date and this rifle was made in 1975. I have another 10/22 that I bought as a truck gun about 20 years ago. It was rough when I got it but since I have started shooting it again, I think I will make a project gun out of it. It had a checkered stock but the checkering is very worn. I wish I could checker as I think that adds to a gun.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Still no pics, but I did shoot my new 10/22. I used open sights and think I am going to put a red dot sight on it. I am trying to find the best way to shoot a rifle with my aging eyes. I checked the serial number for the mfg date and this rifle was made in 1975. I have another 10/22 that I bought as a truck gun about 20 years ago. It was rough when I got it but since I have started shooting it again, I think I will make a project gun out of it. It had a checkered stock but the checkering is very worn. I wish I could checker as I think that adds to a gun.
Here's a red dot, a Bushnell TRS-25, on my vintage '66 carbine. Totally preserves the great handling of the carbine and makes shooting so much easier with these old eyes of mine. Can't recommend a small red dot enough on these little rifles. You'll love it.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
"rapid fire" is what we called wasting ammunition....you can throw lead or you can hit a target....Remember 1" at 25 yards means 2" at 50 yards...which means you just missed your target....Learn to walk before you try to run.....Have fun...shoot straight....shoot often
You sound like a "fun guy" :rolleyes:....why would you berate someone for having fun at the range? that's a real friendly way to respond to what is the OPs only second post....you imply that the OP is some how inexperienced because he strummed his 10/22....i have been shooting my entire life and on occasion love "dumping a mag" down range...10/22s are fun guns,made to shoot cheaply and enjoy.... good on you Campacj enjoy that 10/22.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts