Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Got a Nikon Prostaff from Dicks Sporting Goods on line for $50.00 a couple of years ago.
Put it on my tactical 10/22 - its absolutely dead on. It's a 4x only with standard reticle but it was cheap. I have not seen that price since. Nikon is a great underpriced scope.
Enjoy it!

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a Nikon Prostaff from Dicks Sporting Goods on line for $50.00 a couple of years ago.
Put it on my tactical 10/22 - its absolutely dead on. It's a 4x only with standard reticle but it was cheap. I have not seen that price since. Nikon is a great underpriced scope.
Enjoy it!
I have the 4x Prostaff Rimfire on my Ruger Charger (new model) & you are correct sir, they are great glass. I love the simplicity of the 4x.

I also enjoy playing with their "Spot-On" software program. It's free online

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the 3-9x40 Nikon on my .22 Magnum bolt rifle nice scopes!!!
$89.99 is a pretty nice price & it was nice of Cabela's to send me a card for $20 off of a $150 purchase, forcing me to buy 2!:cool:

I got the 3x9 & the 4x12 & I have been in this vicious circle before of buying the scopes & then having to buy a rifle to put under it.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,703 Posts
moakes58, I'm really fond of Nikon rimfire scopes ... I have several but the one you referenced is an exception. I bought a Prostaff 3~9x and tested it out ... the zoom range just didn't track with the factory parallax correction (50 yards) so at anything 7x and above wouldn't correct parallax at closer distances. I ended up returning the scope and bought a Nikon Rimfire 3~9X EFR, which has an adjustable objective lens for parallax correction from 10 yards to infinity. I also have a couple 2~7X and a 4x Nikon Rimfire scopes that are super for 22 LR plinkers.

·
Cat Herder
1,656 Posts
I have a Nikon Prostaff rimfire 4x on my 77/357. It seems to be the perfect scope for the rifle, gives good groups at 100 yards and provides enough magnification to max out the rifle for most game.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I picked up one last year when cabela's had them and a 300+ box of Winchester. 22 for $120 for my 10/22 tatical target it has the 150 reticle the one with the little bubbles, and I must admit that I really like it and that is saying something for I typically don't like nikon. Went for the price but have been completely satisfied.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Got the latest MidwayUSA flyer in the mail today. Looks like they're offering select Prostaff Rimfire models at $89 and free shipping. Must be some sort of spring blowout from Nikon.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the latest MidwayUSA flyer in the mail today. Looks like they're offering select Prostaff Rimfire models at $89 and free shipping. Must be some sort of spring blowout from Nikon.
They usually do it a little earlier in the year at Cabela's, but I always find them this time of year. I guess they are last years models. :cool:

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Nikon makes some excellent optics for sure. I have several binos that are the clearest and brightest Ive ever seen. I like their scopes too.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Look at opticsplanet.com. Same price, no sales tax, free shipping.
I have purchased from them before with no problems

·
Registered
464 Posts
moakes58, I'm really fond of Nikon rimfire scopes ... I have several but the one you referenced is an exception. I bought a Prostaff 3~9x and tested it out ... the zoom range just didn't track with the factory parallax correction (50 yards) so at anything 7x and above wouldn't correct parallax at closer distances. I ended up returning the scope and bought a Nikon Rimfire 3~9X EFR, which has an adjustable objective lens for parallax correction from 10 yards to infinity. I also have a couple 2~7X and a 4x Nikon Rimfire scopes that are super for 22 LR plinkers.
I have the BDC scope you sent back thinking the BDC feature would be handy and it really isn't for me. After playing with it a bunch had a little buyers remorse wishing I went with the EFR. Oh well still a nice scope and shoot mostly at 50 yards so no big deal.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have the BDC scope you sent back thinking the BDC feature would be handy and it really isn't for me. After playing with it a bunch had a little buyers remorse wishing I went with the EFR. Oh well still a nice scope and shoot mostly at 50 yards so no big deal.
Having experimented with fixed focus scopes, I no longer have any. Correction for parallax at any distance is just to critical to the results I demand from my firearms and me.

Now the bad news. The range numbers on scopes are never accurate. I do not know why. As an example, I have a Weaver T-36. If I dial out parallax at 100 yards, the range number on the bell reads halfway between 100 and 75 yards. Many of my serious competition friends simply put masking tape over the numbers. Then they do the basic parallax test at different distances and mark the tape at the ranges where they usually shoot.

Here is that test:

1. Set your rifle in a rest, on a sand bag or any way the rifle can be placed where it cannot move, with it aimed at a target that is at 50 yards.

2. While looking through the scope and moving your head a bit up and down or side to side, slowly turn the focus (parallax ring or knob). The crosshairs will seem to move against the target until proper parallax adjustment has been set. When it is set, the crosshairs will not appear to move as your head moves.

3. Look at the focus ring. It will most likely be a bit off the 50 yard mark.

4. Now aim the rifle at a target 100 yards away and do the same test.

You will be surprised to see how far off the range numbers are. Oh and one more thing, you first need to have your crosshairs in sharp focus. To do that, you aim your rifle at a blank surface and turn the rear lens assembly until you find the sharpest possible looking crosshairs. Be sure to be wearing the glasses you wear when shooting during the test.

·
Registered
6 Posts
good prices but the EFR model is on sale as well. A bit more $$ (about $140) but for that price it's hard to beat. I just bought a second one to put on a 77/22. I have one on a magnum research and really like it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Have a Prostaff II rimfire 3-9 x 40 150 BDC on order. Ordered 3/14 and won't get it until June. Most of the Nikons on sale are backordered. Worth waiting for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts