Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anybody has a HiViz they didn't like or some other green front sight they wanted to get rid of for a fair price.

I have the Williams Fire Sights on my 1708, but the red front sight is not very easy to see at the indoor range. The green rear dots are much more visible. My eyes aren't great but I can't believe the extra 4" or so of sight radius is the cause.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
17,258 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any reason the hiViz front shouldn't work with the Fire Sight rear?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say "height adjustment", you mean just normal screw turning on the adjustable rear, not filing and fitting, right?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Red is probably the least visible color one could use for a sight. Years ago on the I'net somewhere there was an article on sight colors and I think it might have been
titled "Dead with Red". Yellow and Orange were preferred or for hunting a bright blue front sight. Lime green seems to stand out, too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Agree I see red far less easier than green. Order a green hi viz to replace the stock front sight. I have a hi viz front bead on my mossberg works very well

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Another endorsement for the green with original rear sight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Viz Green is the way to go. Lots of experimentation but the green lite pipes really "pop" in almost all conditions other than extremely low light. Front green with stock rear sight will work just fine. Enjoy your GP!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow, it's half the price I have here for the front green Hi Viz sight :eek:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Leaves are green - that's why people have used orange and more commonly red light pipes in fiber optics. There aren't many things in nature that are pure red - our MIND picks them up quickly because of that, even though our photoreception in our eyes doesn't favor it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My red ruger front sight on my gp100 was super easy to see today

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Leaves are green - that's why people have used orange and more commonly red light pipes in fiber optics. There aren't many things in nature that are pure red - our MIND picks them up quickly because of that, even though our photoreception in our eyes doesn't favor it.
Ah, interesting. Hadn't thought of that since most of my shooting is at an indoor range or would be (God forbid) in a semi-urban environment.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Red and Orange are good in this part of the US until October and then almost everything that bears leaves is either red or orange. This is when lime green really jumps!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I received my Meprolight front sights yesterday and installed one on the 5". It needed to be filed, no big deal. Fits great, now to shoot the revolver to see if the sights need adjusting. Just aiming it(empty) in the house was a huge improvement over the OEM and FO sight.
Slimjim9, did you get and/or shoot yours yet?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts