Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have located what appears to be an unfired ss 2 3/4" security six. No ring on cylinder, hard pressed to say it has ever saw leather.
Adj sights, square butt, tight. About the only negative i see is the ruger medallion wood grips appear to be over-size kind of like smith magma grips. Slot cut in bottom of grips to view serial#.
Serial prefix puts it made in 1986. No box or manual.

Its on an extended lay-a-way with plans to have it out by Christmas I'd have it sooner but the kids want to eat!:D[:eek:)]

Anyone had a ruger grounded down to round butt configuration before?
Will it lend itself to be convirted to a smith rb and use grips designed for a smith or stay with ruger rb?

I always had a perference for rb but i just couldn't pass this one up. I was like a dumb bass hitting a lure when i saw this one. I might try to locate some smaller wood grips 1st and give the square butt a try but i'm just thinking ahead. Preference is wood as this will be a cc piece.

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
I had my stainless 4" security six rounded to match the speed six grips. I carried both on and off duty for quite a fews years. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
As rmans picture shows, it can be done and does come out quite nicely... we've done a few over the years....
I'd go with the Ruger 'roundbutt' grip
myself,like his picture shows. Just get a pair of them from the Speed Six model and use them as a "pattern" and trace the outline.(Scribe or a black marker, whatever works for you and that you can "see"). Unless you are good with power tools, I'd advise NOT to as one can get "carried away", but it would be "faster"......I use the grinder and rough it in , almost down to this "scribed mark/line" then go by hand, files and emery paper, go slow and take your time and like the one we saw some-one "screwed up the job" themselves, they covered it over with a pair of Pachmayr rubber baby buggy bumpers....:D

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the replies. Good lookin six there!

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
quote:Originally posted by deputy125

Appreciate the replies. Good lookin six there!
Thanks! (That's a terrible picture, by the way. It's been carried a lot, but looks better than that) This works out really good for me. I've got medium sized hands so I don't need or use oversize grips. Just that little bit of rounding makes it hide under a light jacket or loose shirt a lot better.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Here's a picture of what the Speed-Six looks like from the factory. I can tell you for a fact if you like revolvers you are going to love this little beauty. Swallows .357's like there is no tomorrow. Now if I could just get Rman to sell me his?

Best,Baldy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts