Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a SR1911 Commander stainless and need to change the grip bushings. One on them got a little funny after removing the grips. I called Ruger and they do not have the grip bushings/screws in stock and don't know when they will be available. So my question is if Ruger uses the same grip bushings/screws as Colt, Remington and the whole host of other 1911 manufactures or are they unique in some way??
If they are all the same, I can order a set from someone else.
Thanks in advance and any enlightenment will be appreciated as well as a recommendation to order from.

The Zebra

·
Registered
134 Posts
What does a little funny mean ? did the bushing come out of the gun ?
Is it striped ? I mean if it works you don't really see it with the grips on.

A screw driver is not the tool of choice to use on grip bushing.
I know it's temping and it looks like there is this giant screw driver slot but the bushings are soft as to be sacrificial and strip first instead of messing up the frame. Many times a screw driver will bugger up the bushing if your not terribly careful.

Also depends on if they are the lock tight kind, or have been staked on from the back.

A special tool is available as a screw driver bit that goes over the bushing and captures it
while fitting into the slot on the bushing.

If they just screw in a thread locker is needed, I use Red permanent, yes I know blue is removable. The bushing are not such that you should have to fiddle with on off so use the red lock tight. You can always heat the bushing with a hot Iron to remove them,
No the iron will not hurt the frame. I think the bushings call for 24" pounds of torque,
Don't quote me on that.

What I recommend is to go to the hardware store and find the smallest rubber O ring that just fits over the grip screws, when you tighten the grip screws they tighten on the O ring and will not over stress the bushings. They are also a great remedy for grip screw that tend to loosen while shooting. Grip screw should not have to be over tightened.

I know, long answer but why shouldn't you know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I ordered a new set of bushings and screws tonight as well as a new set of grips. Should not be an issue to replace and install the new bushings. I am going to get the proper bushing bit to screw the new bushings in. I probably will never use the tool again, but one never knows!
Thanks again for the great info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts