Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited a Single Six 22 flat top, serial number 47***. I think it was made in the mid 50's. It is in really good shape and I would like to get period correct grips for it since the ones on it now are cheap plastic and don't fit right.
Where can I get the proper grips and what should I expect to pay. Thx!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
The correct grips would be cheap plastic and may not fit right.....

Just kidding. But the correct grips would be a black hard "plastic" or rubber material. Often these old original grips take on a dark brown chocolate color from exposure to light over the past 60+ years. These pre-date the more common walnut wood grips that were used in the 1960s and beyond.

The correct grips have become a bit harder to locate and you may have to pay $100 to score a really nice set.

Are your grips black with black medallions? They may be original. Also the old Single Six is not really a flattop frame - doesn't the rear sight blade sit in a raised portion of top strap? Any pictures?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to work on getting some pics of it. You are right. The rear sight sits on a raised portion of the top strap. The current grips are poorly fitted, plastic-stag imitated with dark streaks. I would like to get wood grips if possible. Do you have any suggestions where to get some?

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
You have a Type 3 "Flat gate" Single six from 1956 which still has the small serrated ejector button.

If you want walnut, you need XR3 size old model walnut grips, and they will have Black Eagles and look like this:

The new model XR3 size grips do not fit exactly right and the locating pin hole is in the wrong location for your gun.

Check the other Ruger forum sale ads here:
RugerForum.com ? View forum - Classifieds Section and post a want ad also.

Or ebay and Gunbroker. Expect to pay $75 to $150 depending on condition.

Jim

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I like the looks of the walnut grips better but your gun would have shipped with black grips. Not sure exactly what they were made of - the RENE Reference says hard rubber - but they tend to turn brown and you'll often see them with a chocolate look. There are methods of re-dyeing the color back to black that have been posted here.

RENE Reference puts the serial number at 1956 and it would fall in the range of the Type 3 flatgate. Does yours in fact have a flat loading gate? Some guns were sent back to Ruger later for a round gate modification after the round gates came out as a lot people thought the round loading gate looked better and more "Colt-like".

Back to the grips - I believe the walnut grips did not start shipping until the round gate guns came out and then not until 1960. At that time they were shipping them both ways and the model numbers ended in either an R for rubber or a W for walnut. A 1956 Single Six would have been simply a model RSS, whereas a later gun could be something like an RSSMR or RSSMW or others.

Here's a photo of a 1959 unfired lookin-like-it-just-shipped Single-Six that belongs to Iowegan (stole the picture from another thread - hope he doesn't mind....) I think this is what your grips would have looked like when your gun was new.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Waveform,

Thank you for the year correction! Either I read it wrong or I typed it wrong. Fixed my post.

Ruger described their black hard rubber grips in a letter I requested from them for an early old model as:

"Black Butaprene-rubber checkered grips"

The new model black grips are of course made from something different and I don't know what that is.

Hope this helps,

Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx guys for the info. My single six has the flat gate. I will check out the places that you guys suggested to try to find grips. I also will contact Ruger to see what options I may have with them. The gun deserves a nice set of grips. It is such a cool gun.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Thx guys for the info. My single six has the flat gate. I will check out the places that you guys suggested to try to find grips. I also will contact Ruger to see what options I may have with them. The gun deserves a nice set of grips. It is such a cool gun.
Well you have all kinds of options if you want a nice set of grips including having a really nice set made for your gun by a custom grip maker. But if you want the same grips the gun would have shipped with, well that's not quite as easy but they are generally available from eBay or Gun Broker if you look.

When I bought my old flat gate it was sporting a set of plastic fake stags. I ended buying another round gate from the 1950s that had the correct grips on it for a good price just so I could get the grips for my flat gate.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Any original flatgate deserves to have a set of the proper "hard rubber" black grip panels.

As mentioned, these occasionally are found having faded to a dull brownish/greenish tint. Boiling them in a concentrated solution of RIT black dye fixes this right up.

Also as mentioned, the walnuts from a little later in the XR3 frame period are acceptable and perhaps not as fragile for actual shooting use.

In case you haven't discovered it, the grip frame itself will be marked XR3 on the left side under the grips. Later, post-1962 guns will have grip frames marked XR3RED (redesigned) and wear slightly different panels.

Welcome to the party. Good luck with your grip search.

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any original flatgate deserves to have a set of the proper "hard rubber" black grip panels.

As mentioned, these occasionally are found having faded to a dull brownish/greenish tint. Boiling them in a concentrated solution of RIT black dye fixes this right up.

Also as mentioned, the walnuts from a little later in the XR3 frame period are acceptable and perhaps not as fragile for actual shooting use.

In case you haven't discovered it, the grip frame itself will be marked XR3 on the left side under the grips. Later, post-1962 guns will have grip frames marked XR3RED (redesigned) and wear slightly different panels.

Welcome to the party. Good luck with your grip search.

You are right. XR3 is where you said it would be on the grip frame. Just from my limited search, it appears the black rubber grips are a bit spendy. I will probably opt for the wooden ones since I plan on shooting it. It will be a nice addition to my .22 Ruger duo, a 10/22 and Target auto. I believe my first firearm purchase as a youngster was a Ruger .22 auto with fixed sights-6 inch barrel back in the mid 70's.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Yeah, spendy indeed. ;)

I found a set for a price I could swallow, and they had a tiny chip gone off one corner and were somewhat faded. I black-boiled them and ignore the little chip and use them on my flatgate or on my .357 flattop.

Keep watch on the classifieds here. They show up occasionally.

Good luck.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
There's a real nice RSS sitting the used gun case at a LGS near me. Could be bought for $450 which is high in my book especially since it has been converted and the original parts are gone. BUT - it's wearing a nice set of genuine stags (not Ruger stags mind you but real stags nonetheless with a lot of nice bark) and it has the original box. I asked the clueless counter help if the original box held the old parts and he shrugged but agreed to fetch the box. Inside the box were the original black rubber grips in pristine condition.

Oh this tempts me. If it was unconverted it would already be in my safe. I would be buying it for the grips! I figure I could sell the RSS for maybe $300 (?) and get the stags and the black rubber grips for $150.

Dangerous thinking.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update--I opted to go with the wood grips by Ruger. I called them and Andy told me he needed pics of the gun to prove that the conversion was done before he would send me the rosewood grips. There was some delay with them receiving the pics which delayed my ordering of the grips. The quoted $40 price was waved for my inconvenience. I couldn't believe it. Kudos to Ruger and Andy for super customer service. They Rock.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Can you post a pic of the single-six?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts