Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the black/silver laminate materials for gun stocks, grips, and bows. (Especially when it's mated with stainless steel.) In fact, it's the only "man made" material that I can tolerate, for such things. (I'm an old school, walnut kind of guy.)
Having said that, and as nice as the factory grips are, I would like to customize my 45colt, polished stainless, Birdshead Vaquero (Avatar) a little bit with aftermarket grips...
Thoughts and suggestions appreciated. Pictures would be awesome. ;)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys.
I do have the ability and equipment to make my own... Which leaves me with the problem of too many choices.
We have one vote for maple. What about antler, horn, or bone... and a source for material?
I've looked at several knife making suppliers but most of their blanks look to small for revolver grips.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I use Ebony on some of my stainless handguns/pistols.

·
Registered
308 Posts
In general, I prefer natural materials==non plywood wood, antler, horn, etc.

On my Blackhawks/Vaqueros/Colts, I have Ivory, Tru-Ivory, rams horn, buffalo horn, elk antler (various amounts of bark), moose antler. Most of mine were made by Patrick Grashorn (aka Executioner). He's excellent but his website is down. for construction. He did rams horn, elk antler and moose for me. Boone Trading did my ivory but there are inter-state restrictions now; Tru Ivory appears not to be in business any more. There are many websites with exotic woods, buffalo horn, etc. Supposedly Altamount does first class "bonded ivory". I've some old bonded ivory that is aging just like the real stuff.

I understand Patrick also does knife scales now, so he can make you a real nice matching set.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can't really afford antler and all we have around here are whitetail and not too many get big enough for grips and if they did they would get mounted. Wood is easy to come by and affordable for me. I would like to try some micarta. Any one have any experience using micarta?

·
Registered
308 Posts
I can't really afford antler and all we have around here are whitetail and not too many get big enough for grips and if they did they would get mounted. Wood is easy to come by and affordable for me. I would like to try some micarta. Any one have any experience using micarta?
I've used it for knives. The white can be very hard to work with in that buffing compound fills the pores. Good micarta is expensive=really good is more expensive than horn or antler. Poor micarta just looks like plastic.

·
Banned
576 Posts
For wood try these folks Arizona Ironwood LLC They always have sizes that will work for birdshead grips.

Blanks need to be at least 2" x 4" x 1/2 " for each side. Even if you can't find a scale set you can try a block. These stabilized woods in block form are easy to saw in half. I use a fine tooth hand saw. The burl woods do not have a grain direction to worry about.

Look at the Ironwood. It's not stabilized ...it doesn't need to be.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I get my exotic woods from Rocklers. I don't know if they are a chain or not. They sell woodworking tools and have wood. I bought a piece of scrap curly maple for $4,enough to make at least 3 sets of grip panels. I've also bought rosewood and they have burl.

·
Registered
308 Posts
So, I'm guessing the micarta I've seen on ebay is not good micarta?
Takes your chances...I would spend a few dollars more and buy from Jantz or someone recommended here. Better than buying a pig-in-a poke.

I had some "almost real" Eagle faux stags (I may have a set around here buried in the basement if so, I'll let you have them for the shipping)

·
Registered
308 Posts
So, I'm guessing the micarta I've seen on ebay is not good micarta?
Takes your chances...I would spend a few dollars more and buy from Jantz or someone recommended here. Better than buying a pig-in-a poke.

I had some "almost real" faux stags (I may have a set around here buried in the basement if so, I'll let you have them for the shipping)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts