Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a NM Vaquero in 44-40. I am looking for grips. I have tried Altimont and do not like them. Who makes grips that you guys recommend? Thank you for your advice/input.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Just FYI:

Be careful when you order grips for your Vaquero. You don't have a NM Vaquero, you have a large frame original Vaquero. And you don't want to confuse someone into thinking that you want grips for a New Vaquero, because they take different size grips.

Your grip frame measures 1/2" thick and uses XR3-RED size grips, and you can measure it to confirm.

The mid-frame New Vaquero grip frame measures only 7/16" thick and uses XR3 size grips, which will not fit your gun.

It's a good thing you don't like Altamont grips, they usually do not fit well. I also recommend Carl of Private's Custom Grips as a good way to go.

NOTE: if you follow Private's instructions and photos for assembling the grip frame, recognize that the hammer spring and strut assembly is shown backwards; do not install as shown.

Hope this is helpful,
Jim

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim, thank you for the heads up. You are correct I do not have a NM. I have been talking with Chad at Chigs Grips and he helped me figure this out. I placed and order for English Walnut Satin finish grips with Chad at Chigs Grips. He was great to talk to and was very responsive to my questions.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts

These came from Esmeralda's Custom Grips. They fit very well, and feel great. She makes grips for both size frames, so be careful about what you order.

P.S. I didn't like the Altamonts, either. Ruger should be more careful about the fit on those grips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts