Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I have an old model 44 mag. Super Blackhawk made in 1969. It has the square trigger guard that bangs my knuckle unmercifully when I shoot it. .

Question: Will Pachmyr rubber grips fit the old model Super Blackhawk? Or do they fit the new models only? Is there something like a T-Grip adapter made for Super Blackhawks?

Thank you in advance.

Ben

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
My old model smith 29 8&3/8's 44 mag does the same thing, but I cannot bring myself to remove the factory wood grips on it. So I use a pair of mechanics gloves when shooting it, and tamed down my reloads to minimum levels to reduce recoil.
I have a hogue overmold rubber on my gp100 In 357 magnum, and my alaskan 454 casull which does a great job at reducing recoil better than a plastic or wood grip wood, even though rosewoods do look real nice. Might check those out. I find those grips super comfortable, but they are not traditional.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the new model super blackhawk with 5 1/2" barrel (round trigger guard) and also the new model super blackhawk hunter with 7 1/2" barrel (round trigger guard). Both of these revolvers skinned my knuckle wen shooting hot magnum loads with the factory grips.
I have put Pachmayr grips on both revolvers. Not particularly fond of the appearance but my knuckle is very pleased.

The hunter model has a larger grip frame but I found Pachmayr grips that fit both revolvers but not sure about the old model super blackhawk.

I also tried the Hogue rubber on the 5 1/2" Super Blackhawk and they worked fine but personally I like the Pachmayr a little better.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,169 Posts
Benzapped, Grips for the Old Model and New Model Dragoon style grip frames (squared trigger guard) are the same.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
They do make padded gloves to reduce vibration to your hands for chainsaws and other vibrating hand equipment. You can get some fingerless or just modify them yourself. Just a thought.

·
Registered
458 Posts
For this, I try gloves & wrist wrap etc before changing grips. Hope to start making my own this winter.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
The old dragoon guard looked good but was a problem I put pachymers on my first super blackhawk in 1979 and have not looked back.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I first looked for rubber grips when I bought my Dan Wesson 44 mag. Check out the Hogue brand. I prefer Hogue over the others. Better feel.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Years ago I purchased some Pachmyer’s for my SBH.......they bit the back of my hand, (the web between the thumb and index finger). I went back to the original wood grips which really weren’t that bad to start with, just a little harder to hang on to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Before adding an accessory or new grip, try rolling your elbows and wrists in a little bit. You will feel the additional side to side pressure in your hands and this may tame the recoil enough to suit you. I was having the exact same issue with a little 9 mm pocket gun. About 15 rounds and my knuckle was saying “time to quit”. With my elbows and wrists rolled slightly inward I can shoot that same gun all day without issue.

Good Luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts