Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the load development with the Hornady 168 grain A-Max is going well. I have 500 rounds of new Lake City brass ( bagged and sold as American Eagle 7.62x51) that I sized, and chamfered on Saturday. Thankfully I did not need to trim all those, every case was right at 2.007", just a little over trim-to length.
I tried Varget powder, which has been the best I've tried in my heavy barrel Remington, and got the load of 40.4 grains to group 3/4" inch out of the GSR for 5 shots at 100 yards. This load is several grains less than the ones I previously worked up, because I'm now using thicker Military brass, instead of Nosler brass.
I had bought several boxes of A-Max bullets and had high hopes for them as they are advertised to be an expanding hunting bullet suitable for deer, but made with a Match jacket. I never got them to shoot satisfactory out of my Rem 700 Varmint, but it seems the GSR likes them. I also tried the SST's out of the Remington and did not get good results, but my Mini-30's shoot great with the .311 diameter SST's. I will stick with Hornady and Sierra H.P. Match bullets for the Remington.
And as my stash of Varget is getting low with no more to be had as of late, next I'll try some 4895, as it seems to be in stock in every store around here. Last pic is the view from my range back towards town.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have also experimented with the Hornady 168 gr A-MAX. Many reloads. Lots of data. Didn't really care for it and didn't get the grouping I thought it was capable of.
I now reload a Remington 165 gr. BTSP projectile, crimped on the cannelure in front of either 45.2 or 46.0 gr of Varget in my 18" Stainless GSR.
At work right now, so don't have the part number of the projectile.
Sub-minute groups all day long with a 2~7X EER Leatherwood out to 400yds.
A little more than that out to about 600. I attribute some of that to old eyes and the 7x scope. Need to swap out to 12x for me to poke 600 consistently with the GSR.

Personal preference, But I try to stay away from military brass in anything other than my Springfield 30-06.
Even then, I only use it for range work.
Seems to be a lot of inconsistencies in wall and web thickness between mfg. to be consistent in long range shooting. Inconsistent chamber pressures.
Not too much, but a bit more work getting the crimped primer pockets ready for reload.
As much shooting as I do, it's easier to just push the military brass off to the side.

I also no longer go to the LGS for Go Fast powders. Go online and buy it by the #8 jugs.
Try Grice's in Penn. Those guys are the best. And cheaper than most others.
Bought two #8 jugs. With the Hazmat and shipping, still saved $200 over traveling an hour and a half both ways to buy it at an LGS outside of Joliet, Ill.
Brown brought it to me in 2 days. :D
Now have enough powder for couple thousand .308 rounds. And.....no driving around settling for whatever is on the shelves.
Varget does exactly what I need it to do. Very stable and consistent at all temperatures. Smokin' hot at the range in Illinois, to freezing in a treestand in Mossouri. Bullets shoot the same.
And I don't need to spend countless hours AGAIN working up a 'satisfactory' load recipe with some propellant that I may not be able to find next time.

Personally, I'm hangin' with the Hodgdon Varget.
Barnes makes some interesting HP hunting projectiles I'm experimenting with, too. Makes big holes in stuff.
I've also loaded up 50 with the Hornady GMX. Supposed to be a good gilded hunting round.
We will see what we will see.

Enjoy it. Great rifle. For the range or in the field. :cool:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Is that your buddy out there in the truck?
Tell him to zig-zag a bit?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that your buddy out there in the truck?
Tell him to zig-zag a bit?
No, yesterday I was at the range alone. I went up the hill to re-spray the steel gongs, and on the way back down, I thought I'd take a pic of the valley below.
This Lake City brass had never had a primer in it, so no crimp to remove. They were very consistent in length, and didn't need reaming above the flash hole with my Lyman tool. Some new brass has a ragged edge of material above the flash hole where the hole was punched through. Only brass I've bought that didn't need a lot of trimming and other prep work was my Nosler .308 ( pricey though at $1 a piece for unprimed brass) and the PPU that I bought for my 7.62x39.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
No, yesterday I was at the range alone. I went up the hill to re-spray the steel gongs, and on the way back down, I thought I'd take a pic of the valley below.
This Lake City brass had never had a primer in it, so no crimp to remove. They were very consistent in length, and didn't need reaming above the flash hole with my Lyman tool. Some new brass has a ragged edge of material above the flash hole where the hole was punched through. Only brass I've bought that didn't need a lot of trimming and other prep work was my Nosler .308 ( pricey though at $1 a piece for unprimed brass) and the PPU that I bought for my 7.62x39.
Just jokin' about the truck. I send my daughters out to change the targets when we're shooting the compound bows. On the way out, I suggest they zig-zag a bit.
Always draws a weary chuckle and a slight glance over the shoulder.
Nice view of the area, though. Looks like a great place to shoot.
Never bought any new mil brass. Just picked up used empty brass at the range (always a little iffy) or already loaded.
Some of the range brass is in pretty poor shape. Filthy, nasty, corroded stuff.
I'm actually surprised people put some of that crap in their guns.
Some of it cleans up pretty good after a day or so in the tumbler. The rest I give to my daughters to make jewelry or knick-knacks out of.
Depending on the type of crimp, some of them can be a pain to remove. Bent or broken pins.
Sometimes the brass can be a little harder to work. Needs lotsa case lube.
Nosler does put some out premium brass and is pretty pricey. But, like you said, no prep required. Already annealed. Load and go.
From sampling tons of different factory ammo to see what the GSR liked to eat best when I first got it, I ended up with tons of Hornady and Remington brass.
A little thinner than mil brass, but I have only tossed a couple due to neck splits. Pretty rare so far.
But, I've also seen a few split necks on some of the mil brass. Maybe age. Maybe actually the brass make up.
The thicker brass may be more prone to splits after multiple reloads if not annealed.
Also bought a couple bags of unprimed Hornady brass so I had enough.
Or so I thought I had enough. :rolleyes:
Keeps all my reloads fairly consistent.
Although the McMillan TAC-50 is the flagship in my vault, sends 750 gr A-MAX out to 1500yds, and makes hole big enough to throw a cat through, the GSR is my go-to rifle whenever I open the safe.
Wouldn't even think of taking anything else on a hunt.
Love that rifle.
Excellent choice, If I do say so myself. :cool:

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Nice looking rifle Sandog, I didn't know Ruger offered them in left hand.
They are a very handy rifle & as much as we are in & out of vehicles these days handy is nice. That sling looks pretty handy too!
Have you tried the Hornaday 165gr Spire point or the 150gr Spire point? I've had very pleasing groups with the Hornaday bullets in several rifles over the years.
Good shooting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts