Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I’m sure you’ve all heard this story before. Dad on a budget lol. I’ve had the same cheapo belt from Ross for years but it’s on its last legs now. I’m planning on buying my first actual gun belt, however the most I can spend is in the $30 range.

I don’t carry much, just a regular size Security 9 in either a Vedder Lighttuck or a cheap Nylon holster both IWB at about 5 o’clock. I don’t carry anything else on my belt no knives, extra mags, pepper spray etc just my gun and my holster.

My clothes are slim fit for the most part, so a big super thick belt will probably print more than my gun.

Any recommendations for a decent/good gun belt at $30 or below? I didn’t notice any problems with my cheapo basic belt, so I don’t even know if an actual gun belt is even needed for what I carry. Then again I’ve never even held a gun belt in my hands so I don’t have anything to compare it to lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve been wearing one of these belts daily for a few years.

·
Exchequer
4,352 Posts
I've never worn a "gun belt" - just a regular ol' belt. Unless you are carrying a heavy piece and/or full compendium of equipment around your waist, I don't see why you would need anything else. If a regular belt works, stay with it.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,667 Posts
I just do not believe in cheap. Don’t do it. I spent about 45 for a Daltech Force Steel-core. Check eBay for sales and free shipping.

Do yourself a favor, and do not cheap out. Do you want to be disappointed? With just a little bit more money you will have a belt that will last you a lifetime and will hold up even a heavy firearm. My slacks will not sag even with my Blackhawk on my hip, and certainly not with one of my pocket guns.

A good belt can work for heavier guns you might carry another time, saving the expense of a second belt. I liked my Daltech belt so much that I bought a second one at full price, about 60, still a deal for good gunleather.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a single layer but fairly thick high quality embossed belt that I bought for $25 at a Mennonite saddle makers shop. The plain ones were $20 when I bought my belt. His belts run true to size. It is actually better than one of the gun belts I paid $60+ for several years ago. It is Jay's Custom Leather in Muddy Pond TN. His mailing address is Monterrey, TN. He only has a facebook page, but you might be able to contact him to see if he ships something small like a leather belt.

Of course shipping would add to the cost of the belt and I'm not sure what his prices are now, but it is an idea.

I also have a couple super thick, super heavy duty "real" gun belts that I wear at the range, but the one from Jay's does daily duty for me quite often.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Blue Alpha Gear Low Profile EDC Belt

I just purchased one, it is a simple, stiff nylon belt with velcro closure. I like not having a big buckle although the velcro isn't exactly "tactical" when you need to drop trou. Having the thing infinitely adjustable is a nice advantage of the velcro. That ripping velcro sound is a dead givaway that your are wearing something unusual. If you need to make a quick adjustment it's gonna draw attention so you have to pick your moment.

I have been wearing it for two weeks with a 9mm compact inside the waistband at 4 o'clock. It keeps everything right where I want it and easy to clip and unclip the holster. I was using a run of the mill leather belt, still do sometimes... it is a little thicker and a little more fiddling required to ensure the holster is fully locked on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input everyone! I’ve got a lot more research to do than I thought. So far I think I’m leaning more towards Nylon belts.

By all means correct me if I’m wrong here, but although I like the leather look a lot better I feel (from the pictures) like the leather belts are much thicker and I might end up with a belt printing my entire waistline. Looks like Nylon would be more appropriate for conceal carry considering my clothes are on the slimmer side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
A belt prints?????????????? o_O
YES, if you are thin and you wear non-baggy clothes, a thick leather belt actually can print, and the buckle can stick 'way out'. I wear my leather belts to the side of the first pants loop so that the buckle bulge balances the slight bulge of the gun on the other side of my body, just in front of my hip. And I do not wear tight clothes, nor do I wear oversize clothing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Jay's Saddles in TN should provide a picture of his belts. He does have a web site at Jayssaddles.com.
Perhaps that might happen if you contact him directly instead of posting here. He seems to be a pretty nice person from the one contact I had with him. (Well, 2 contacts, since I had to go back to get the holster when it was completed...)

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
I got a leather belt from Simply Rugged Holster x2 years ago and it has held up very good. Do not scrimp on a gun belt you will end up like me with a crate of un-used belts that did not support a firearm for carry or training. Shop around, you will glad you did. Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts