Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i had said before, i am back home where i grew up. Well, my aunt had passed a few years earlier and i got a call the other day from her son who lives 3 hours away. He asked me to go check on the old house and put the word out it is for sale. Got the key and checked on it. Everything was ok as expected. I called him and talked a while about the house and what to do with some of the items left in it. He wound up giving my daughter his old wood and glass 6 gun cabinet. Actually made out of real wood and glass instead of particle board and plexyglass. No lock on the door--just a nice old piece of work. We hauled it home and she now has it in her bedroom with some guns in it. Would not allow her to put her rem 1100 in it. Just some low end .22's and h&r. Paranoid about gun displays and burglary---even though there has not been a house burglary reported in this town yet this year. Gave her the lecture about being paticular about who she has over and all it takes is one innocent friend to open her mouth to the wrong set of ears and have something bad happen.
Still--it sure put those h&r's and old marlin .22's in a different light/setting and made them look-----just plain right.
I still remember my Daddy's yellow pine gun cabinet. My brother got it after Daddy passed. My brother passed last December and now his boy has it. Think i'll go and visit and remember..........

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
yes they are nice to have. I set in the room with mine turn the lights out lite a candle to watch the flame dance on the walls remember the camp fire the hunts the stories. I was young in those days and didn't have any stories to share but I listen to their stories.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I'm just too paranoid to have my stuff out in plain view. Been in many a house with all sorts of gun cabinets, even one guy who proudly dislayed his original tommygun in one. I've lost one shotgun from theft, don't want to lose anymore.
Now Snuffy, you do need to get more time out of the house when not working. Maybe that little lady came along at the right time-----

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am afraid to say that gun cabinets have gone the way of pickup truck gun racks........jeez those were the days you could leave your 30-30 or 12 gauge in plain view on Main St with the windows down and leave it there for a whole day with no problem, I guess it was called back then "morally correct"........

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
diffrent people out there these days.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
My dad used to have a huge gun cabinet made out of real cherry. It was beautiful. Held 32 long guns if I remember correctly. He ended up worrying about getting all his guns stolen and sold most of them and the cabinet too.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I don't have a lot of guns, but half of them are both hanging on the wall in the room I'm in right now. I just love to look at 'em!

I was at a gun show recently and saw some really nice safes and cabinets, not display cabinets but secure ones. Actually Dick's sporting goods has some nice ones too.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When i was way young, i remember my dad taking me to a house to visit a man who owned the drilling company he worked for. i still remember all the guns as they were built flush into the livingroom wall and behind glass. Impressed my young mind to say the least.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I love to look at and fondle Guns. Gun Cabinets would be nice but I'd be afraid to trust my guns in one. I keep all of mine locked in a Safe except my CCW, which I look at and fondle every night when I go to bed. I do take mine out of the Safe and Shoot, fondle, and clean them quite often. Nowadays its not like it used to be. When we lived in the country when I was a kid, the guns were hung on the wall in a rack made with a split piece of a tree with a limb cut sticking out for the fork for the gun to fit into. The house was never locked when we were gone, and never anything bothered. How long would that last now? [V]
I can remember like it was yesterday, over my Dad's bed was a rack with two forks on each side for two long guns. He kept a 12 Ga. double-barrel Ithaca shotgun on the bottom, and a Winchester pump .22 on the top rack fully loaded all the time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EddieF

I don't have a lot of guns, but half of them are both hanging on the wall in the room I'm in right now. I just love to look at 'em!
I'm with you. I understand the need for gunsafes, especially where the house is habitated by anyone other than the gun owner, or in areas where break-ins occur (not that that can't happen anywhere) - but- 90% of the enjoyment I get from firearms is just by having them accessible for viewing and fiddling with. All of my guns are wall or glass cabinet hangers. I put trigger locks on 'em, and the ammo is in lockdown - except for my anti-zombie Winchester 12 ga which I keep hidden but handy. I do have two of the 8 gun Stack On lockers. Know what I keep in them? The empty gun boxes [:I][B)]

When I plan on going away for more than a day I will swap the boxes out and put the guns away, but those lockers are just that...lockers. Not a gun safe by any stretch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Before my wife and I married, I had a neighbor who was a cabinet maker build me a 4-gun, wall mounted cabinet out of walnut. It has a full length/width mirror in the back, velvet lined rests and double glass doors with key lock. A beautiful piece of furniture and he only charged me $75 to make it!!
Alas, because of current conditions, I will only keep 2 low-end long guns in it. Everything else is hidden away in deep, dark recesses only to be seen when I retrieve them.

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
It's really sad that a beautiful gun is nothing more than a means to get money to put poison in your body nowadays.[V]

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quote:Originally posted by rman

It's really sad that a beautiful gun is nothing more than a means to get money to put poison in your body nowadays.[V]
Yep, tracked down a few before and i remember one was a mint winchester mdl 12 that was sold for $35.
Another was a browning citori that was sold for $90.

·
Banned
723 Posts
When I was growing up long guns were kept behind the door to various rooms and handguns were on the person or in the bedroom closet in a box on the shelf.

A friend's Dad, who was a "big time" hunter had a room that was armored, with a safe door. When the door was open it was a sight to see. Long guns on racks, like in a gun store. I was there the other day to visit, he still has unboxed S&W Revolvers from the 1970's.

He really could be a one man gunstore if he wanted to be. When my wife complains that I have an "Armory" to describe my very meager collection I take her over there and show her what a real armory is. :) It kind of "blows her mind" and gets her back on track.

Biker

1 - 14 of 14 Posts