Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi all :)

I'm back with my foreigner questions about America :eek:

I was wondering about what are firearms-friendly states in the US?

I'm quiet sure that Texas, Montana and Tenessee are, and Cali is not at all. What about the other?
Are there conditions for you to get your weapons? exemples: no reccords, over 18/21 (majority is at 21 for all states?), US nationality, owning a safe, storage unloaded, ...
just talking for owning, carrying is another thing: if I have right understood, you have a permit to pass and you can loose it for dozen of reasons, if you're not enough responsible

May you have reasons to have to own'em? (I mean, if you leave close to big bears or gators or other wild and dangerous animals, or other reasons)

And because I know some will ask :p:

Here in France, rules are the same for everyone, and we're enough lucky to leave in a pretty friendly environment (reggarding wildlife).

But owning is a hard obstacle course :
You have to be over 18 (I wonder if it's not 21...) and to get your shooting licence, then you have to be diligent: you have a shootbook, and it has to be validated with 3 controlled shots a year, minimum 2 months between every controlled shot.
Then, when you're ready, you buy a safe or a locker, and do a lot of paperworks to send to the "préfecture" (the capital of the "département", there are 95 in metropolitan area including Corsica).
If your answer is positive, you can buy up to 12 class B weapons (to be short: any handgun, semi-auto rifles, bolt rifles shorter than 43cm and smooth-barrels shotguns) (Yeah, if you want a Savage MkII FV-SR .22lr bolt, you have to ask for a B autorization... nobody does for a bolt esspecially if it's a .22lr bolt, so you won't find it in France)

For hunters, they can get hunt rifles with their hunting licence. Sport-shooters can get those rifles too.
But these are just owning autorisations, for 5 years (you have to renew them before this delay is over or you'll have to bring'em to a gunsmith or police - class B, for the other class you can keep'em but you can't buy ammo nor go to a shooting range)

Of course, full-auto guns are prohibited, in class A (with gasmaks, nuke, bomber planes, tanks, over 30 rounds mags for rifles and over 20 for pistols). Those class are European standard.

That's the current law, some European representatives asked for a mod of the law, reggarding November 13th events. It wouldn't be in our favor (they want to ban full-auto look-a-like rifles and other stuff like that)

Carrying autorizations are extremely rare: you have to do a "dangerous" job, like jeweler or cross conveyor to ask for... and you can buy only 50 rounds a year (good for training <_<).

Currently, due to emergency status in France, policemen are allowed to carry their duty weapon off-duty (but they have to carry a police armlet). It's up to 2016 february. It's the SigPro 2022.

·
Premium Member
4,247 Posts
Because of my job I could live just about anywhere. I choose to live where I do in large part because Kentucky is a very gun friendly state. I can pretty much go any where I want with a gun and buy whatever I want gun related. For example, in Kentucky you don't need a CCW to have a loaded handgun in your unlocked glovebox or console. Gun ownership in your home is basically unrestricted. Do whatever you want.

Having a gun in Kentucky is about the same as owning a car. We all have them and most people just don't give them much thought.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Arizona appears to be the most gun-friendly state I'm aware of. No class for concealed carry, open carry ok, etc.

In North Carolina (and most states) rifles of any kind except full auto and short-barrel rifles (SBRs) are easy to purchase, pistols a little harder. Concealed Carry permit requires an 8-hour class with passing scores and proficiency test, then fingerprinting. But once you have CC permit, very few restrictions on buying pistols. Pistols can be purchased w/o CC permit but (at least where I am) requires one-time-use Pistol Purchase Permit and can only be open carried. CC is illegal in certain situations (parades) and locations (gov buildings, schools). Open Carry is legal in NC but rarely seen exc by police of course.

Suppressors (for anything) are hard, expensive, and time-consuming to get.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Florida is very gun-friendly. No registration, no limits, just the Federal laws apply. Concealed carry requires a State license, but there are no limits like some states where you can only carry a specific make/model of gun that's listed on the license. The person is licensed, not the weapon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for all the insight, who knew!!

·
Banned
365 Posts
Arizona IS one of the most gun friendly states in the U.S. As an Arizona citizen, you can OC or CC almost anywhere, getting any gun is a matter of one form and a phone call that takes all of 10 to 15 minutes, and we have great Stand Your Ground laws on the books.

All you need to purchase a firearm in Arizona is a valid photo ID with your current address, fill out a BATFE form, and pass a background check call that the LGS does. LIke I said, it takes all of 10 to 15 minutes to do.

If you want to check out other states, here is the website to do that with:
handgunlaws.us, and pick a state.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Funny how my state is supposedly so unfriendly to guns but yet we have more full autos in this state than the rest of the country. :D

·
Registered
785 Posts
Florida is very gun-friendly. No registration, no limits, just the Federal laws apply. Concealed carry requires a State license, but there are no limits like some states where you can only carry a specific make/model of gun that's listed on the license. The person is licensed, not the weapon.
Very similar in Alabama. The one exception is that the county sheriff's office is responsible for issuing CC permits. In addition, no class or test is required, just a clean record.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Very similar in Alabama. The one exception is that the county sheriff's office is responsible for issuing CC permits. In addition, no class or test is required, just a clean record.
It's the same here in Washington state.
No class, no test and the County Sheriff issues the permits.
Usually takes about 30 days or less.
We got our renewals in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Another thing about Florida, we have a state law that says if a county or municipality attempts to regulate firearms, they face actual penalties. It's gotten a lot of local gun hating towns to ease up. Only the State has the authority to regulate firearms.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Arizona you do not need a permit to carry a gun. If you are 18 or over, you can open carry a handgun or keep one in plain view in your vehicle. Once you are 21, you can carry open or concealed without a permit, although a permit will allow reciprocity with other states and clear you from background checks while buying fire arms from an FFL.

As a police officer, I can carry a firearm in any of the 50 states concealed. Some places here in Arizona do not allow firearms (sporting events due to rules set by the NFL, MLB, and NHL) but will allow officers with credentials in with a firearm. But I just assume not go to those places. I only go to sporting events when they pay me to go and work off duty.

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
Whoa, wait... after this event (which was tragic and makes me angry) this highly restrictive virtually no gun rights government thinks MORE guns on the streets is part of the answer?

"Currently, due to emergency status in France, policemen are allowed to carry their duty weapon off-duty"

Following the original logic that no one should have guns and everyone is safer when no one has guns... this seems backwards.

Compared to France, Georgia isn't just gun friendly it's gun nirvana. We actually have a few cities that REQUIRE residents to own guns.
Gun Ownership - It's The Law In Kennesaw

Last time I walked into out local Court House the officer on Duty asked "Do you have any weapons?" I said no. "He said, why the heck not? It's dangerous out there!" He told me rather than locking it on the car he'd prefer I bought it in, declared it and they would lock it in a steel locker while I conducted my business and I could collect it when leaving.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts