Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thought i'd pass this along, a project i ran last spring... needed to get all my guns in one spot, needed them "locked" but convenient.

its not a "gun safe" or fireproof by any means, but it serves my purposes.

Tractor Supply - 48" steel truck box, some hd spray adhesive, commercial carpeting, a small piece of lumber and some minor carpentry skills, a 3 LED battery powered puck tap-light.

holds 7 long guns, i have 3 handguns in there now, one in a carry box... with some room for magazines and miscellaneous.

plus you can hang anything that has the loop side velcro on the carpeted walls...

i think i have maybe $275 total in materials, took about 1 hr to put together.

Attachments

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,544 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I'll borrow that carpeting idea.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine all sit in corners in the bedroom, I like your idea and may do the same.
i think i may have kept the measurement markup diagram i made to cut the carpet.. if i can find it, i'll scan and post it in here.

the 48" box is perfect

·
Registered
760 Posts
Pretty cool idea, might work pretty good as a secondary storage for me, thanks for posting.

·
Exalted One
1,803 Posts
Great job! I love ingenuity and expedients. You may want to get something for humidity control - an easy add-on. It really looks great! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
found my scribble sheet with the carpet dimensions,

not sure what my 32" dimension on the "back" piece is, the back, the two sides, the top and bottom are just simple rectangles or squares,

the front is cut around the lock mechanism and "slotted" around the door retention cables.

at the bottom is a diagram of how i cut the v notches for the barrel rests across the middle of the back, this was a 1/2" x 4" piece of poplar, as was the bottom stock rest

may want to make that v notch piece 17-1/8" overall, mine's just a touch loose and i'm only using the compression between the carpet on the sides to hold it in place. that allows me to slide it up and down as needed.

the other piece of wood at the bottom is just to keep the stocks from kicking out toward the door, 17-1/8" here too, does not need to be as tall as the one in my case.

RJF, good call. - humidity control, i found a "can" style dehumidifier at Tractor Supply as well, think it was up near their gun cases... its "rechargeable" too, keeps things nice and dry. its the silver thing at the bottom in about the middle on the first couple pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
i've got most of my stuff out, will post some pics on Sunday...

found the construction pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
930 Posts
Very nice. I was looking at a small Berska safe for the bedroom this might work. Need to work on the other half to find the location and get agreement for the bedroom addition.

Great idea and very nice work.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very interesting, how did you attach the cross piece where the barrels/forearms sit?
friction / compression between the carpeted walls... see notes in my prior posts, need to cut it a tad longer than what i did...

thanks for the compliments - i've almost got it filled, a nice Mini-30 or Mini-14 would do the job nicely. (black and stainless..) hopefully Santa-Me-Clause can make it appear.

·
Super Moderator
22,120 Posts
I was in TS yesterday and they had some huge gun safes for sale for reasonable money.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
DTC, I see, now after re-reading your notes, perhaps a small strip of adhesive along the edge of the fore piece would resolve the looseness.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts