Ruger Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There are a lot of gun mags out there. I'm not looking for perfection, all are influenced by advertisements in some way, but which ones have the better writers and are generally considered to be more trustworthy?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I mostly just look at the pictures..... :D

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I would agree that the most honest gun reviews I rely on are from the owners themselves. I based a big part of my decision to buy my SR9 by just watching videos. From there its off to the gun shop for some hands on.
I would agree with the above too, with the exception of folks in SASS. The cowboy shooters have a habit when a newbie asks "What gear should I get" of never answering the question. They always say "Go to several shoots and borrow guns until you find one's that you like". I on the other hand knew I was going to end up shooting Ruger's and actually Ruger's are some of the cheapest choices for SASS as well. I already had a Rossi lever gun in 45 so I knew what caliber I was going to shoot as well. Go to suggest a Rossi lever and you'll get called every sort of term for Stupid. Unless you shoot an original Colt SA or a very close clone and a Winchester model 1873 or very close clone, you are deemed an idiot.

I got along just fine with my inferior Ruger's and Rossi, thank you very much. Even owners are moron's. Smithy.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Most gun mags are just print versions of the infomercials you see on TV. The only two I subscribe to now are American Handgunner and Guns. They seem to be pretty straightforward. For the real skinny, though, just Google the firearm you're interested in and read actual user reports. Warts and all.
+1 on this. I'm a long-time subscriber to both magazines, and in both, I have seen reviews over the years where the test gun at hand gave reliability issues...and they reported it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Gun mags are not the place to learn whether a gun is good or bad. You can learn some stuff about them, but not how they really are or what the average Joe thinks.

So, one place is forums like ours. I search for the particular gun and then go look at the other forums to see what people are saying. You can learn a ton there, but not all you need to know.

I also like GunBlast.com. Those guys know what they're talking about and will largely tell it like it is.

And then YouTube and other places. So, I'm pretty much in agreement with the rest of you.

And yet, I still read gun mags. There are lots of interesting articles and I'm even more tired of hunting mags, because those are all the same. The hunts are always guided and they always succeed. Not like a single hunt I've ever been on. I've never been able to afford a guided hunt (not opposed to them per se, just can't afford one) and I've also come back empty-handed more often than not.

Oh, I've learned a lot about reloading from gun mags, too.

·
Super Moderator
21,090 Posts
I used to get a few mags but with travelling I would only get about half the issues so why bother. I was getting American Handgunner and Guns free on line but that has ended. I did enjoy those two in the print editions plus Handloader was excellent.

I am a life member of the NRA and NAHC so I get their mags and that is it.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
It's all subjective, there's people over on the taurusarmed.net forum that will tell you point blank that they believe a Taurus is a better gun and a better value than a Ruger.........

Just google the gun you're looking for and you'll likely just get both good and bad reviews. I have a piece of crap Armscor M200 revolver and you'll get the guy who just got one new for $200, fired 12 rounds through it and thinks it's the best value out there because it went bang 12 times. Rarely do we get reviews from people who have run 1,000's of rounds through a gun, except for shooters on forums like this who actually shoot the Rugers, S&W's, Colts they own and a lot of us have actually tried other brands like Taurus, etc.

The internet is also subjective, you'll get the guy who got a good Taurus 85 and has 1,000's of flawless rounds through it, and then there will be the guy who got a bad GP100 that slipped by QC and says it's a piece of junk........99% of gun buyers who bought a gun and were satisfied with it don't bother to post on gun forums, but if a new buyer gets a lemon he/she will be all over the net letting everyone know:) How many new "members" do we get here, at post #1 come on like "problem with my new SP101".......it's human nature, you're more likely to try to communicate with other gun owners when there's a problem, then when you get a gun and it works.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There was one Taurus revolver in particular I was mildly interested in that I read positive reviews about in a gun mag, and when I finally got to examine one personally in a LGS, I was appalled by the obvious lack of quality.
QUOTE]

I just ordered a new Taurus 627. Hope I have no regrets. :confused:

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
I subscribe to a few magazines that I enjoy pretty much...I do get some useful info from each...

NRA's "American Rifleman", (of course)
"American Handgunner"
Guns & Ammo's "Handguns"

·
Registered
396 Posts
I like American Rifleman and especially Gun Tests. GT takes no advertising, so they are not beholden to their supporters. If a gun malfs, they will tell you about it and retest it after repair/replacement. I like Gunblast too, but Jeff never saw a gun he didn't like. And although Hickok45 is an admitted Glock fan, he'll give a gun like a Springfield XD or Ruger a fair shake, something a lot of Glock fanbois won't do.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Gun Mags

I agree that American Rifleman has about the most unbiased reviews. They recently reviewed a new Bersa model, and were not very complimentary. I also read and respect as many articles ( American Handgunner and Guns) by Clint Smith and Massad Ayoob as I can. Those two guys are reasonably unbiased at least to the point where they don't crap themselves with joy and amazment over every piece of metal and plastic with a barrel that comes in for review. I think the magazine and author you're referring to in the Taurus test is in Gun World:D

·
Republican!!!
11,411 Posts
I think one of the things I like about Hickok45 and Jeff Quinn is that they're both good ol' southern boys. I'm southern by genetics. My mom was born in Arkansas and my dad was from Texas.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I take all reviews with a grain of salt. There are reviewers who gush over everything and reviewers who trash everything made by certain manufacturers. The truth is all manufacturers make lemons but even unpopular manufacturers have made some exceptional firearms. Even Taurus.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts