Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was not sure where to place this post but here. For the new gun guys you may want to consider typing out a list of your guns so you will have this information on one sheet of paper should you have a thieft. I imagin a lot of guys do this but thought I would recommend this record for people that may have not thought of it or taken the time to put one together.

Let's say you have a couple of family guns that are handed down to you, plus you have that first 22 cal rifle, then the hunting rifle or shotgun, and finally the Ruger pistols (maybe even other brands) and there is no record of their serial numbers for LEO's. You might find your self looking for the original boxes that are in closets or the attic. Some older guns may have no box or manuel for them due to the age of the gun and you may have no clue what the serial number is.

It is so simple to list each gun you own of a single piece of paper listing the guns description, serial number, accessories, etc. so you will have this information convienently available for you without the fuss of trying to find something in an already emotional time. This record should be kept with your other important papers like a safe. When I get a new gun, I just add to the list. I myself have decided not to leave this data on my computer hard drive. One day this computer will be sold for about nothing or just thrown away. Even though I may remember to deleat this information it seems
some knowledgeable computer person might find it hidden back elsewhere as computers seem to save stuff in various places "just in case".

This is just a suggestion for those that have not started a record of their firearms yet. Sometimes simple things are over looked or forgotten.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Exactly what I hve done over 25 plus years....
You can use this detiled list for many things:
Reporting as stolen to police
Reporting as stolen to you insurnace comapny
Quick reference when you decide to sell a gun

The only other suggestions I would offer is to make TWO list and keep them in totally seperate locations in case you have a house fire/burglary and loose it all...

Another suggeston is to take at least TWO good close up pictures of each weapon and keep the pictures with your list...This will help to establish condition with your homeowner's insurance company adjuster...

BTW...You do not need any of this stuff....Until you need it....;)

·
Banned
700 Posts
Great post stoble!
I have mine laminated and in three different places including the gun safe. Also on CD.
Fortunately I update mine annually with new acquistions.:) including photos!

The key, as you mentioned is the emotional state that a theft or other disaster can cause.
Being prepared makes sense for all prudent gun owners!

SD

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SD, I too have copies at different places. I keep one at work in a secret file, one at home and one copy is at my parents.

I didn't know a CD could hold information large enough to hold the data about all your guns. Impressive. LOL

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I keep scanned copies of all important papers, titles, deeds, anything important. All my accounting data. An extensive data file of phone #'s, addresses, e-mail addresses, passwords. anything important, and that might lose if my house or office was to burn or get blown away. I keep all this in computers, but I also have in on a little USB Flash drive that I can plug into any computer that has a USB port and see and print the information. I carry the Flash drive in my pocket with me everywhere. It is a part of my EDC. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts