Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at Gun safes for years. I love the shiny glossy high end models that are always on display at Cabela's, some Canon safes and of course Liberty. Buy bigger than you need, that's a very common saying. Well, this can be overwhelming!

Buying bigger than I need, to my knowledge they don't make a gun safe big enough to meet my current need, much less room to grow!

I knew I wanted/had to have an American made safe, but those prices. And if you get options like the door accessory add on and lighting and such, well, it adds up to allot!

Last week I went to my local gunsmith/ffl. Nice guy, Only time I chat is when I'm picking up a new purchase. Well I had my work done at the shop and thought I'd just head over there and shoot the breeze. His gunsmith shop is at his house, in a detached garage that he recently doubled in size. He's the type to sit out in a lawn chair having a beer when getting close to 5 o'clock. I arrive around 3 and while he wasn't in his chair yet, he'd cracked open his first beer. He's an older guy, retired form the state and seemed glad to see me, or at least someone to shoot the breeze with.

After awhile he says 'did you see my new gun safe?' He had purchased a Stack on Elite 48 gun safe. I have to say, I was impressed! The metal wasn't anywhere near the thickness of the safes I'd been looking at, but impressive none the less considering he'd just bought it from Orschelns Farm and Ranch for 999 + tax. The layout was one of the best I'd seen, and I loved the included scoped rifle stand offs. He left the pedestals installed on his to keep it off his shops concrete floor. As with any safe, no, you couldn't realistically put 48 long guns in this safe, or at least not unless they were bb guns or small 22 rifles or slim shotguns. But counting on using the scoped stand offs, I counted I could easily put in 18 scoped rifles and probably have room for smaller non scoped rifles/shotguns in there, maybe another half dozen or so. He had his arranged with two layers of shelves all the way across the top and had several pistols laying on them.

I was ready to go to Orschelns and buy, but I decided to scope them out on the internet. And that's when that feeling sets in, where am I going to put something that big and that HEAVY? At over 600 lbs. that's a lot of weight to be sitting on a wooden floor, and another 200 lbs worth of contents will add up quickly. I could put it in my garage, but I don't like the idea of having to go to the garage to grab a gun (not for security reasons as I won't lock up an HD gun. Then I got to thinking about moving it, with just me and my two high school aged boys (one bigger than me, and the other, well, not so much), rounding up help is always an issue.

I started thinking about what if I got two smaller safes? That one big on won't hold them all, two smaller safes will come closer to holding them all, easier to move etc.

I ended up going with one Stack On Buck Commander 40 gun safe, it's the same size as the 24 gun Elite series, only it's shorter by 4 inches, doesn't have the layout I like that is in the Elite, but I decided I should be able to get 20 scoped rifles in this gun safe the way the rifle storage is setup. It has the same fire rating, and same locking system, though it does appear to lose the top and bottom edge locking pin. It's around ~500 lbs, so it's still a bit heavy. What sold me on this particular case was For the past weekend I've been viewing the prices on line and this one went on a Roll Back at Wal-Mart on line to 599 last night, so I decided I'd give it a try. Having it shipped to my local store in hopes it arrives in better shape than some independent shipper shipping to my house, and if it doesn't, I don't have to load it up to return it, cause I'll inspect it at the store.

It's not the quality I envisioned. It's not American made, but I can live with the price and it seems well enough made to me.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Cool deal. But the problem is not that you need more safe - you need fewer guns. :eek: :D

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I have 3 Stack On safes. They work fine, and will keep neighborhood punks and bad people away from your guns,

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool deal. But the problem is not that you need more safe - you need fewer guns. :eek: :D
Are you a democrat? Regardless, please discard one man card for that comment;):D

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Are you a democrat? Regardless, please discard one man card for that comment;):D
Ouch! I guess I asked for it though. ;)

Ok, I got it. Instead of fewer guns or more safes, maybe what you really need is to convert a bedroom or walk in closet into one big "safe" - more room and don't have to worry about crashing through floors. Can I have my man card back? :D

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, you can have it back! I'd love to do that, and maybe some day I'll be able to!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Last fall, after years of trying to decide on the perfect vault, I also chose the Stack-On. I did get the 48 gun Elite you were describing for all the reasons you mentioned plus the fact it came in green and gold (WI born and raised, what else can I say:eek:). My father also chose Stack-On but went with the 36 gun total defense waterproof series. After a year of ownership, we are both still impressed by the vaults features, quality, and security.
Rest assured, you made a good decision.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last fall, after years of trying to decide on the perfect vault, I also chose the Stack-On. I did get the 48 gun Elite you were describing for all the reasons you mentioned plus the fact it came in green and gold (WI born and raised, what else can I say:eek:). My father also chose Stack-On but went with the 36 gun total defense waterproof series. After a year of ownership, we are both still impressed by the vaults features, quality, and security.
Rest assured, you made a good decision.
That's good to hear. 'After years', that is an all to common theme, for me I can remember looking at safes back in the 90's....

I haven't had a chance to see a Total Defense safe in person, I'd really like to just to see what they did for the door seal to make it water proof (up to two feet?) for 72 hours.

My next concern is what to do with my two wooden gun cabinets.... I have a huge two piece, solid oak, no glass, that my dad had a cabinet maker make. I use the base for ammo storage and magazine storage(gun, not reading...), the base is roughly 22"Dx60"Wx32"H, it's also serving as my computer desk;) The top is just under 5' wide, and when combined with the base it sits right at 7'6" tall. I don't keep it together as its upstairs and my ceilings are 7'5"... My other Gun cabinet is one my Mom bought me when I was 14, so no way is it going anywhere. It's an 8 gunner, glass door with a pull out drawer, nothing fancy, but has sentimental value.

I'd like to use the glass door cabinet to display the older rifles, but at the same time, it'd be nice to have the protection of the fire safe for those older rifles. Neither one of them really accommodate rifles with scopes.

I received the Oak cabinet from my dad after his house was broken in to and the doors pried open and all the guns stolen. That was years ago, he has now started acquiring more guns, might see if he wants it back, but I'd hate to lose that base cabinet storage.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I purchased the Elite model while on sale at WalMart some time ago. I had it delivered to my home. The comany that did the delivery was great. They backed the truck up to my garage door and unloaded it onto my dolly so that I could move it around. I tipped the guys $20 and think that I got a bargin because I surely couldn't have handled a curbside delivery. I have added the Stack-on 120v outlet, some lights and a Golden Rod dehumidifier. I have been very satisfied with this safe and consider it an excellent value. I am certain the crracer712 will just a pleased with his new safe. Granted, it isn't bank vault quality but, will deter anyone but the most determined and well equipped thief.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Picked up my safe today, came in in pretty good shape. Only found a chip in the finish at the lower left door jamb opening. Got a few friends lined up for tomorrow to help move it in the house.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the safe home and mounted to the floor, it's been 'inspect' as has everything that has ever entered my house and apparently this safe meets some very stringent standards.

Reactions: Knucklehead46

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Turns out to not be too bad of a safe. Electronic lock is easy to operate, set my own code. Door locks up tight, unlike some others I tried that had a little play when closed. Only two mounting points in the floor, wish it woulda been drilled for 4 mounting points.

I was surprised those pistol holders holding the pistols with loaded mags, they seem to come off easy when pulling out, but the downward pressure is secure.

I was hoping I could get ten rifles to a side (there are twenty barrel rests on each side), but that just isn't possible when you have a several AR style rifles. The back row doesn't have a single rifle installed, I couldn't even get my open sight only Remington 597 to stay back there because the butt stock is cut at such and angle that the rifle tilts forward, and doesn't reside in it's own notch, some rifles, such as shotguns could go back there OK, or even possible lay a piece of screen molding across the bottom to make the gun lean back, but I'm not out of space, so didn't go that far. An AR with a scope on a riser and a combo bipod/grip takes up an entire row depth wise, not enough room behind or in front.

I was able to arrange 9 guns on the left side. With the shelves setup at the bottom to elevate the short barrels, that pretty much eliminated putting my shotguns in there, but was able to easily get my Remington 700 in.

And yes, Norman had a great time pawing at the barrels that were being put in place...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thought I'd give an update about this safe now that I've had it for awhile. I installed the motion sensor Stack on light, saw many mixed reviews, but I love mine. Have had it on motion sensor setting and it's still on original batteries and works great.

The safe, while not big enough (nothing would ever be big enough though) has been great. Last week I was in an out of the safe six times on Wednesday evening. Thursday morning I go to get in it and nothing.... My code wasn't working!!

After a couple of attempts, I realized keys 1-6 were functioning, but 7-# were. Called Stack on, they asked for my serial number and shipped out parts to fix it.

Friday still nothing. Had been reduced to using the backup key.

Saturday morning, pressed the #1 key and the light flashes acknowledging the key press, hmmm.... continue with code and it worked like nothing had happened. Was in an out a lot over the weekend using the keypad and worked fine.

Replacement parts haven't arrived yet, but it's back to working as it should, so when they arrive, i'll just set them aside until the time comes when it's acting up again. Just though it odd that for two days keys 1-6 weren't being acknowledged, but suddenly they are again.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a wall safe with an electronic push key pads that acts up once in a while, seems like a key may be stuck partially and drains the batteries so I have to resort to using the back up key when that happened. I decided to buy a mechanical combination lock on the gun safe that I purchased. It takes longer to open but is more dependable in the long run and I don't have to worry about the batteries going dead.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought another safe, smaller, that has the combination lock on it. I'd still prefer it had the electric combination, just like the convenience of it. Especially the speed of it. Of course it isn't real fast when it malfunctions and I have to use a key...

·
Registered
265 Posts
crracer 712: you have to worry about your inspectors getting locked inside.

Once I had to figure out where that thumping noise in the drier came from... Fortunately, no harm done.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I have the same safe and I have well over 50 firearms in it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts