Ruger Forum banner

Gun Safes

8K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  mi77915 
#1 ·
What type of gun safes and/or secured gun closets/rooms do you all have or are planning ?? And what are your suggestions and opinions regarding same.:D

#4 · (Edited)
Liberty safes are fireproof and have excellent service in the event of a fire. A liberty tech will come and retrieve your guns and replace the safe after a fire.

If you just want something to keep kids out and prevent smash and grab type burglars Sentry safes/cabinets from tractor supply do pretty good.

All you can do is take reasonable precautions. A professional thief will break into anything. A priceless diamond was on display in London. The case the diamond was in was supposed to be unbreakable. A thief stole a nearby bulldozer. Then the thief ran the bulldozer through the front of the auditorium where the diamond was on display and busted the case to remove the diamond. Alarms went off but the thief had a speed boat waiting and got away with the diamond.

You get $2,500 insurance for free when you join the NRA. Homeowners and renters insurance offers a certain amount of protection. If you need more coverage a extra coverage is pretty reasonable through both the NRA and your insurance company.

#5 · (Edited)
My thoughts on a safe where we live (San Diego with the constant fire danger) is that I stressed fire protection first. I went to a well known safe and vault company in the area and they had a great safe...used but in nice shape...that has a 2 hour fire rating and also is heavy and has suffecient burglary protection for my needs...it cost about the same as one of the "big box" stores smaller gun safes...it's bolted to the concrete slab in the garage and has the electric rod for dehumidifying...whole thing...safe, rod, delivery and installation ran just over $600...the safe is 50" hi, 31" wide and 28" deep (all outside dimensions) and is divided into 3 equal areas by 2 horizontal shelves....no rifle slots...I have no rifles or shotguns so the height was not an issue....all my handguns fit easily along with ammunition, etc. That safe new...installed, etc would have run well over $1800 so buying used from a reputable company was a real deal...got to do some looking but they are around. Also it had a combination deal lock and I had that replaced with an electonic lock...much easier to work with and I can change the combination witn no hassles if I want to.

#6 ·
I have a Liberty safe, and like it very much. Buy bigger than what you need, you will eventually need the space. Buy a safe with a good fire rating; bolt it to the floor. If I ever buy another house, I'll convert one of the rooms into a safe room with a vault door.

#7 ·
I have a Liberty Revere 30. Awesome safe, at a great price. Highly recommended!

Just buy one bigger than you think you'll need---They're never big enough!

#8 ·
for my handguns went with a mid sized bussiness safe that was water/fire proof. Had 3 shelves and with home built divider was able to fit 28 hand guns in it. got a winchester fire proof safe for the long guns . though am thinking about a pendalton the next time around. the idea of the lazy susan interior appeals to me. No banging around to get to the one in the back.

#10 ·
I've got a Winchester Silverado 22..... biggest one that would fit into my basement. Nice, solid with a good time/temp resistance rating.

My recommendation is get the biggest safe you can that will fit your budget and where you want to put it. I'd have gone bigger if I could have as the I've got now is pretty full. But anything bigger wouldn't have fit in my basement. Make sure what your buying will fit where you want to put it. Also, I opted to pay extra and have it delivered to my basement. It weights about 800lbs and for some reason none of my friends like me that much to help. LOL Truth be told I didn't want to mess with it either.

#12 ·
I have a Cannon Scout ,or whatever the newer model is called,fire safe...

#19 ·
I Highly reccomend the Pendelton Series!! they are the New kid on the block and here to take over the market. they are the high end safes but worth every penny.

#18 ·
Come bonus time next year im gonna get me one of dem Pendelton Knight series with the Rotary display. i got 33 guns crammed in a 24 gun safe, i had to cover all my guns with gun socks they kept on rubbing against each other. My russian Nagant hated when the German Mauser rubbed it the wrong way, they need more room LOL make sure you get a safe with an outlet inside of it, for dryer tubes and a cool LED rope light kit. it looks way cool!!

#22 ·
Warning: This may sound like a commercial, but it's the truth! :cool:

If you are wanting the best safe in the industry, I recommend a safe from Fort Knox. Best steel in the industry, guaranteed to last through two house fires, if it is involved in a house fire, or damaged in a break-in, they will replace it free. Best warranty as well. Don't pick out a safe that "fits what you are looking for," build the one you want!

#23 ·
Bought me. New Cannon Gun Safe

I have been wanting a gun safe for a long long time. With the onrush madness of the guns, ammo, and accessories being bought up because of Newtown shootings, & what we here & see what's going on......well it's been hard to also find a gun safe!! My neighbor works for Liberty Safe he's worked for them ever since I have known him. I called him about 10 days ago to see if he could get me a safe. I thought he had forgot about me he called me a few days ago & gave me some prices. I told him I wanted the Revere 20, I thought he got the message I wanted one ASAP! He quoted me a great price, but then told me he had to wait to talk to the person who could get me the price & safe I wanted. I could have ended up with a safe made here or one from China! I told him I just want a good safe! Well yesterday I went out and did some looking at about 3 stores. I found some listings on safe's at a building supply store. They carry Cannon Safe's I got such a good deal when I was given a discount if I paid cash I told the guy I will be back in 15 minutes with the cash! I now have a Cannon Scout 19 gun safe totally love it seems to me Cannon has the best warranty I they gave me really a good deal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.