Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe even just a tad compulsive, but led to the bad guy getting a life sentence. And the seller an appearance on Dateline.
This, folks, is why the smart people on this forum keep telling you to do it this way.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Ppogz
(Looks long but it's a quick read.)

Viceroy 馃煩馃煩馃煩
Can't go wrong keeping as much paperwork and evidence as possible for guns you've sold. Keeping some old spent brass was a good idea. Bills of sale, copy of valid state purchase permit, etc. Make multiple digital copies and keep them in various places. Even send them to your own gmail account. After all this is not your gun anymore so it's not your privacy concern. If the Chinese back your gmail account to find out that Billy Bob Jones bought a used gun from you... who cares?

If you don't meet in a public place with video cameras (as this guy did) then Go Pro cameras are as cheap as $125 now. The private sales I've always done have been in my workshop / garage with the doors open so it's not too public but also not too secluded, but it occurs to me that a Go Pro hanging on the wall would have captured the whole event in ultra-high definition and probably without the buyer's noticing it.

Banned
I would never keep old brass, especially from a pistol caliber carbine. The brass would just get thrown in a bucket for resale. But I do keep a copy of the buyers ID. Here in NC we have a pistol purchase permit. I want to see a either a valid purchase permit or concealed carry permit, even when I am selling a long gun. I have lost a couple sales because I am so curious. But I am not going to the crossbar hotel for a couple hundred bucks. If someone doesn't want to go get a $5 pistol purchase permit that is good for five years they probably are not able to buy a gun legally.

Registered
Although I only sell guns to people I know, Illinois now requires a phoned in background check to the Illinois State Police prior to a private gun sale in the state of Illinois.
Just one more way to CYA.
Just bought the new Xfinity home package.
It just so happen to come with a wireless remote camera that's recorded thru the xfinity system as part of the alarm system.
Can't think of a better use for it than what is mentioned above. It's a little bit smaller than a Go Pro. Doesn't even look like a camera. Looks like a little 2" flat screen tv.
Excellent resolution, though.

Good on you. That's a chapter you will not soon forget.
My condolences to the family that lost a loved one.
However, one less POS walking around in public.
Sleepy juice and a dirt nap is in order.

Ruger Tinkerer
I only do FTF with friends and even then I've maybe done 2 or 3 at most. I'm just not interested in taking on the moral obligation to vet anybody. I prefer to sell on GunBroker and have my FFL ship the gun to other guy's FFL where he has to fill out the 4473 and get properly vetted on that end. My gun is logged into my FFL's logbook and shows going out. I'm done.

Registered
I'm OK doing FTF here in OH as long as the person buying has valid CCW permit and is willing to meet in parking lot of local shooting supply stores. Not interested enough to bother with anyone not having CCW permit and photo ID such as driver license.

Banned
I only do FTF with friends and even then I've maybe done 2 or 3 at most. I'm just not interested in taking on the moral obligation to vet anybody. I prefer to sell on GunBroker and have my FFL ship the gun to other guy's FFL where he has to fill out the 4473 and get properly vetted on that end. My gun is logged into my FFL's logbook and shows going out. I'm done.
I would prefer to have an FFL vet the buyer. Every gun I have sold has been by word of mouth. I tell a few friends I am interested in selling a gun. In a week or so someone is in my driveway with a friend who wants the gun. I am not going to get upset because someone brings a man with money in his hand to my house. Most of the time the gun sells itself. I just go out back and shoot the gun a few times. They see golf balls bouncing or a target spinning....The gun is sold.

Spellign Bee Champ
CYA at its finest.

Banned
I rarely sell a gun. That's a lot of reason I meet them at the LGS. (A) I don't want dirt bags coming to my house. (B). The guys at the shop, including me when Im in there, are all armed. (C) If they know ahead of time, you are doing it legit, and they have to produce ID at the shop, you are much less likely to get some low life wanting to deal with you. AND Less likely for someone to try and pull something.
I did have one guy refuse to meet me there, so I refused to sell it to him.

And also, our LGS will sell them for you for 10% commission. That right there is enough to just let them take care of it and deal with buyers. .

Same goes for buying them. We have had rare guns come up on the local internet ads. But they don't have the gun. They plan on robbing you when you meet them at their destination. with the requested cash. This happened enough the LEO's put out a warning.

You cant be too safe these days.

Banned
I've never had a private sale, but the limited ones that I have sold or traded have always been to and through a recognized and local FFL dealer with receipt etc always on hand. I might mention though, I sure regret selling a mint unfired Colt SAA .45 2nd Gen I once had.

Registered
I've done a couple private sales. I keep the emails, and ask to see ccw, but no bill of sale or copy of ccw. Cash and handshake and goodbye.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts