Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For use on a P-95, Browning BDA and Blackhawk, what is a good/the best alternative to Birchwood Casey gun scrubber? Do not want to use brake cleaner, and WD-40 doesn't look like it scrubs and leaves an oily residue that I am not sure is helpful. Thanks, John

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I have used cheap carb cleaner for years with no problems whatsoever. Can buy the generic Wally-World brand for about a buck, or name brand Gum-Out for about two! Heck of a lot cheaper than the 5 to 6 bucks for gun scrubber!

·
Registered
842 Posts
I can't really tell any difference in Gun scrubber and some off brand carb cleaner I bought at Big Lots for 99 cents. I've heard not to use either on a polymer frame. I'm another great believer in Breakfree CLP. I've found that most times just running a saturated patch through the bore and let sit for 5 or 10 minutes will clean the bore pretty good. I use it with an old toothbrush to clean the innards of my P97 and also on revolvers. Most of my shooting is with cast lead bullets and if any leading an old bore brush wrapped with a few strands of most any cooper scrub pad will get it out pretty quickly. Occasionally use Hoppes No.9 or Butch's Bore Shine after shooting jacketed bullets in .357 and .44 mag but Breakfree after sitting a while takes most stuff out for me. Some barrels are a bit rougher that others though and may take more work.
Baker

·
Registered
122 Posts
gun scrubber is just overpriced carb cleaner imo, it all melts plastics so remove plastic parts from what ever your blasting clean, then be sure to oil/lube everything afterwords they all degrease while they clean.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I use some unchlorinate brake cleaner on my guns sometimes. Cost about $3.50 for two cans at WW. Carb cleaner is OK too as long as it don't have chlorine in it. Gun smith said chlorine will cause rubber,teflon, and plastic parts to deteriorate and damage the gun over time. I have gone back to just doing it the old way.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I use the cheap brake cleaner also. Works good. When I detail strip a firearm, I put the metal pieces in my ultra sonic cleaner. I use about 1/2 Simple Green & 1/2 water. Cleans things pretty good, then I rinse everything with hot water & blow dry with my little air compressor that I got @ WW for under $100 just for that purpose. Then, I clean the barrell in the normal way w/Hoppes just to be sure, & lube & assemble as normal.;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts