Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides paying some bills with (hope) tax rebate, i am thinking of picking up a security cabinet/safe.

been looking at those "sentry" ones at academy. Advertised as a safe but weight is around 300 lbs and light enough to not damage the house floor. Anybody got one of them and care to comment?

I'd like to keep it under $400.00.

Anything else out there worth the money?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I've seen a couple of post on other forums from people who seem to like them. Don't know myself.....I really like my Browning.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I can't comment on the Sentry, as I don't own one, but IMHO gun "cabinets" are good only for keeping the kids out of your guns. You really need a safe if you want to keep the crooks from getting your guns, and even with a safe some of these jokers that know what they are doing can defeat it if given enough time. But most of the metal cabinets can be defeated with a crowbar in about 5 minutes.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I caught Atwoods running a sale on Sentry Safes. I got a large one and am glad I did. It has both a combination lock and a key. I'd recommend spending the extra and getting a good Safe instead of a cabinet unless you have a Home security alarm system. :)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I've looked recently too. I have a pit bull in the house while I'm gone so I'm thinking about a heavy duty cabinet instead of the safe. It'll be on the 2nd floor and I'd like to keep the weight down.

·
Banned
282 Posts
I have three. My first one was/is a heavy guage steel storage cabinet (Can't remember the brand), that holds 8 long guns. No fire proofing, two barrel locks, I'd call it medium security. It now holds mostly gun parts and guns in various stages of repair / modification, and my two cheap-o C&R rifles.

As my collection expanded, I upgraded to a real safe, combo lock, steel locking pins, fire protection, holds up to 14 long guns, etc. In this one, I put all of my working / valuable long guns and some pistols. Both of the long gun safes are securely bolted to both the floor and wall studs.

My third is a pistol safe, securely bolted to the top of the steel cabinet. It holds my pistols when I'm not carrying them.

I acquired the pistol safe when my alma mater police dept. decided to issue gun safes to all officers who wanted one. What prompted that was an officer from another area department who left his pistol out, where his son was able to get it and shoot his sister.

Get a good one. They are worth the peace of mind.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
Here's the best concept in safes that I have ever seen. I have the ZA-II on order. My old safe is full ... actually way over full. I really like the idea of being able to take it apart to negotiate stairs or if you move. http://www.zanottiarmor.com/

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
that does look heavy and well made too.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i've seen a rather different home made job some years back. A feller took a large up-right coke vending machine and gutted it and layed velvet and home made racks in it and made it his gun safe. Kind of made good security i think as it was definately low key as it looked like an unplugged non-working coke machine and of course it takes that special key and a lot of turning on that handle un-screwing it to get it to open. Probably air-tight as well.

Only problem there is me thinks the wife would never go for it in the house.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Aw, c'mon, man...hang a pretty shower curtain in front of it and she'll tell all her friends how you remodeled the bedroom.....:)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I have always been a fan of the hidden wall safe. It doesn't have any fire protection, but if you can't find it, you can't steal it. I admit it doesn't work if you’re renting though. The land lord would probably be a little P.O.ed if you started cutting drywall.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Metal?????I have a Browning 32 gun safe. I needed the fire protection as well as the security. The primary heat for the house is a woodstove in the basement, and our house has been broken into 3 times in the past 10 years.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The fireproofing used in most safes is a cementious product made from cement, gypsum and aggregates. That’s one of the things that makes them so heavy too. I chose an American Security Safe after looking around for a couple months. We live right in the woods in a log home and all we have is a volunteer fire department about 15 miles away. So I got the AMSEC with a high fire rating but is was around $2000. It’s pretty good size but it’s on the concrete floor downstairs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Drummer,
Thanks for the info. I decided to build a safe and wasn't sure about the insulation/fire resistant material.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts