1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gun Shops Under Closer Scrutiny

Jul 13, 1:55 AM (ET)

By DAVID B. CARUSO

NEW YORK (AP) - When criminals need guns, they have plenty of options in a country with nearly 100,000 licensed gun stores. But drug dealers and other crooks don't shop just anywhere. They have their favorites. In Compton, Calif., gangsters preferred Boulevard Sales & Service, a shop police said was so felon-friendly, some salesmen offered tips on how to buy a gun despite a criminal record. In Philadelphia, shady gun buyers sent girlfriends to a suburban pawn shop, Lou's Loan, where the staff wouldn't raise a fuss if a young woman came by a few times a month to purchase cheap handguns. And on the outskirts of New Orleans, killers-to-be armed themselves at Elliot's Gun Shop. Over the past five years, the store was the source of 2,300 weapons later linked to crime, including an astonishing 125 homicides, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. In fact, government figures show that an extremely small number of gun shops account for a spectacularly large number of weapons used in crimes.

FULL STORY: http://apnews.excite.com/article/20070713/D8QBH84G0.html

·
Registered
2,437 Posts

A representative of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms holds guns that were removed from Elliot's Gun Shop in Jefferson, La., in this May 16, 2007, file photo. According to the ATF, on the outskirts of New Orleans, murderers-to-be armed themselves at Elliot's Gun Shop. Over the past five years, the store was the source of 2,300 weapons later linked to crime, including an astonishing 125 homicides. (AP Photo/Bill Haber, File)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well then those Guys are the ones that need to be busted-- they are giving us all bad names. THEN leave the legitimate sellers and owners alone!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Makdaddy

Well then those Guys are the ones that need to be busted-- they are giving us all bad names. THEN leave the legitimate sellers and owners alone!!
Well said, Makdaddy![^]

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
And the caption was "Now let me see, do I give my Uncle Jasper's boy the 6" or the snub for graduation...he always buys me somethin' big for Christmas...." The ATF is the prime example of sneezing at a gnat and swallowing a camel...they make biggies out of little things then let a major criminal go because he might be snitchin' to the FBI or DEA or whatever...I recently had a pawn shop owner friend lose his license for about two months...his crime was that he had his FFL in his personal name at the address of his pawn shop and had had it that way since he opened...he did well enough in the shop that he incorporated under the shop name....and did not change the name on his FFL to the inc. name........same him, same store...same location...the agent that that checked his annual could have said "Now that you are inc., you need to make this change...his response would have been "Sure, no problem..."...instead, he and his family went through 2 months of crap and lost who knows how many customers...that kind of officious nut-cutting is why we've lost respect for them...for one....when I was a cop, I had enough sense to know when to cut someone slack and warn them and when to crucify them over what I had them for because we couldn't get the goods on for something much worse...even the perps said "I'm gettin' off light" and took it like a man....those days are gone.....

·
Registered
302 Posts
This is sad for sure. The ATF is more adept at taking guns away from those of us that won't be a problem.

Where is the surprise in a criminal selling guns to another? Every town has one or two.

If it weren't that way I woldn't need to be armed.

tk

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have no doubt that store is a thug-serving store-I guarantee you I could pull an audit of their books and shut them down...and I'm not trained...just been through three while I was in pawn...but they won't shut them down...and continue to nit-pick honest folks just trying to comply...bunch of glory-hogging hypocrites...I've only known one agent I respected...an old man in the Dallas office who was as real and reasonable as could be asked...died of cancer-sure miss him...the rest I've seen with exception of 2 auditors had their heads up their ... or in the clouds...do we need them...yeah....do we need to revamp them top to bottom-yeah, baby!!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Being near New Orleans, I'd like to match the list of confiscated guns against the list of guns bought/sold through that store-guess it's just the cynic in me...or knowing how rotten a majority of N.O. cops were...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I lost all repect for the atf after they had their shoot out at mt carmal. I have also had a friend that, was a dealer and just let it go as he didn't want to put up with the mess from them. I have had several friends that won't deal in their homes any more. more and more folks are buyiong guns from private person so as not to have to deal with the paper work in buying one from the store.
They were suppose to be shut down once from what I have heard. Remember the bombing of the federal builting in Ok. I have heard that there wasn't one person in that building that worked for atf. Not one, if that is true it sure sounds fishy to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts