Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gun show today disappoints again. More plastic than one could ask for and big tickets to boot. Did find (4) P series a P85, P95 and two P89's. The P85 was the best priced at $325 ...

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,291 Posts
I'll have my first post-POS presidency gun show in two weeks and hoping for better deals than before.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I drove 70 miles to a stinker of a show last weekend. Not many tables and not many bargains to be found. One guy did have a beautiful S&W Model 24 with target stocks, but the $795 price tag was too steep for me. I recognize the vendor and have seen him at other shows. If he's still got it in a month or two maybe we'll negotiate a better deal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm possibly going to one tomorrow, if the weather holds out and doesn't get icy like the forecast says. If the weather is crappy, maybe the sellers will work some deals, but I'm not holding my breath.

Eh, it's still more fun to wander a gun show than to do what I had planned, which is go work out and then clean the apartment. :D

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm possibly going to one tomorrow, if the weather holds out and doesn't get icy like the forecast says. If the weather is crappy, maybe the sellers will work some deals, but I'm not holding my breath.

Eh, it's still more fun to wander a gun show than to do what I had planned, which is go work out and then clean the apartment. :D
Word ...

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,812 Posts
The one and only gun show we have here is the same ol recurring show every two months - same vendors with the same stuff. The big gun shops bring their inventory and you get to pay to park and pay to get in to see the same inventory you can see in their stores for free. It's a great show if you're in the market for cheap jewelry, kitchen gadgets, jerky, etc. Guns not so much.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Gun shows are suffering the same effect that many other small retailers are, which is that everybody knows the national (i.e. Gunbroker, Buds, etc.) values of things now so the vendors have little incentive to discount much beyond that. You occasionally find someone who is just dumping inventory and doesn't want the hassle of ecommerce but I don't think it's realistic to expect bargains anymore at gun shows, just like they are rare in pawn shops now days as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
856 Posts
Gun shows are like any other "Goods and Services" event. If people go, continue to purchase stuff unrelated to guns the exhibitors will continue to offer their wares. I think the gun shows promoters could not care less who exhibits.

The answer is much like merchants that do not allow guns. Don't go and don't buy. That is the best response -- no support.

I attend some Roanoke and Salem Va shows for the simple reason -- the VCDL needs people to man their booth -- so I volunteer. However, admission for exhibitors is free.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The one and only gun show we have here is the same ol recurring show every two months - same vendors with the same stuff. The big gun shops bring their inventory and you get to pay to park and pay to get in to see the same inventory you can see in their stores for free.
Same story around here. Same vendors, same inflated prices. The first two times were fun when it was "new" to me. Now not really sure if a $2-3 admission would lure me in.:( Its $7-8 at most shows here.

·
Premium Member
13,876 Posts
Have been to both kinds. The kind where you would swear it is a Ginzoo knife show and a real live gun show. Best display of Colt snake guns I saw early last year and cheapest knives I swear were made out of old soda cans was at a local one. They are still fun if you go for the entertainment factor alone.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I haven't been to a show in quite awhile. The last few I attended didn't have what I was looking for and the prices on everything were generally high. If you're not going to find a good deal at a show, then there is no point on attending them except but to meet new people.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I didn't see much at the show Sunday that I was looking for except for a Kel Tec PMR 30 but it would have cost me $500 even with the small discount the guy offered since the show was ending. I passed, as I knew I could find some cheaper online. My buddy grabbed a couple of items for his AR but otherwise there weren't any great deals to snag.

·
Exchequer
4,425 Posts
Been to a few in the past couple of years but don't go to the shows anymore.

Why would I pay $12 entry fee to see what is essentially the same vendors. Yes, I can usually find good prices on ammo -and some ammo in calibers that are hard to find - but I'd rather spend my day at the range or out with my wife.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
We have a Dixie show coming up this weekend in Raleigh NC. I thought about going but probably won't. I have gotten some decent buys before but you definitely need to know your prices.
Gun shows aren't what they once were. Then getting in the shows for a couple bucks are a thing of the past.
I do better going to the local dealers not to mention not having to deal with the crowds.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The prices for the big show here that is up by the airport is $12 per adult, but we try and get the $2 off coupons. I just hate getting up there late and having to run through the show after dropping $10 a person and not getting to really take my time and check it out. The next show, I want to take my time and really see what's there for my ticket money.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
The prices for the big show here that is up by the airport is $12 per adult, but we try and get the $2 off coupons. I just hate getting up there late and having to run through the show after dropping $10 a person and not getting to really take my time and check it out. The next show, I want to take my time and really see what's there for my ticket money.
I haven't been to one since one of our late members was tragically killed in a auto accident. We met him there at the show. That was the first Dixie show I went to so it's been a couple years or so since I've been to one. I want to say getting your tickets early it was something like 8.00 to get in. That may have changed by now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts