Ruger Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
About the only deals I've ever seen at a gun show were from individuals that brought in guns they wanted to sell. Scratch me out for wanting to pay $8 to see the same dealer stock and prices I can see at their stores for free.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
In the end the folks that set up at the gun shows are trying to get the most bang for their buck. This show I went to cost $50 per table as I recall so they need to make a profit on each gun just to cover the daily table rental. Also the folks setting up shop there are never in close proximity to where I live so being able to look, feel and talk about new stuff makes it somewhat worth while ...

But finding a deal is few and far in between ...

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Gun shows, even if it is at the Legion Hall or something similar, well, the building still has to be paid for. Like everything else, those rental prices have gone up. If table sales don't get it done, parking or entry has to make it up. The club, or whoever is putting it on are out to make some money, or they wouldn't be doing it.

As far as pricing, with the internet, REAL gun guys know what everything costs, be they sellers or buyers. So the days of going in and seeing tables full of smoking deals, just isn't going to happen, especially if the displays are mostly from retail places. Plus, if just the average guy has a table with decent bargains, the other dealers will buy all that stuff up before the show even opens to the public. The guys selling, they sure don't care if the public or a dealer buys, they just want to move it. So by the time it's open to the public, the only thing left on Billy Joes table is the stuff dealers didn't want.

And believe it or not, those shows are still full of people who have decided to go to the gun show and are not real savvy. They will pay what we think are high prices. You guys who talk about the same old dealers at same old prices are selling enough, or they would lower their prices. It's really that simple.

What I DO find decent prices on at shows at times, is parts and used optics. Seldom do I find a screaming deal on a used gun and you will NEVER find that on a new gun. You have to be realistic on your expectations.

My best deals have been found on used guns as of late at the local flea markets, where the guys just walk around with guns for sale and don't have a table. BUT if it's a Sat, Sun flea market, you better be there at daybreak on Sat if you expect a deal. The guy still walking around with that rifle on his shoulder at 10 or 11am has it priced too high. Yeah, it's usually just cheap or beat up stuff at these markets, but I have found really nice stuff at times. You don't know, unless you go. You can't really complain about no deals to be found unless you get out and scrounge for them.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Since we have waiting periods on firearm purchases here in the DPRI, the only ones worth buying at a gun show here are the C&R eligible items.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts