Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went looking for six series revolvers today. Saw two security and one service six. the 4" 51 series service six in stainless looked the nicest till I inspected the bore. It looked like there was the remains of steel wool in the barrel and I couldn't see the rifling. The exterior had some rub marks, probably from a holster. The usual BS from the dealer, "it was a friends who shot one cylinder and put it away". I get so tired of the same old sales pitch and told him so. The 2 3/4" blued security had rust in the barrel. The 4" security was so beat up I didn't bother to handle it. Came home empty handed, the search is still on for some nice ones.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Went looking for six series revolvers today. Saw two security and one service six. the 4" 51 series service six in stainless looked the nicest till I inspected the bore. It looked like there was the remains of steel wool in the barrel and I couldn't see the rifling. The exterior had some rub marks, probably from a holster. The usual BS from the dealer, "it was a friends who shot one cylinder and put it away". I get so tired of the same old sales pitch and told him so. The 2 3/4" blued security had rust in the barrel. The 4" security was so beat up I didn't bother to handle it. Came home empty handed, the search is still on for some nice ones.
If your tired of it, move on to the next table and keep your opinions to your self.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I've noticed a pattern at the gun shows lately. Higher prices and crappier products. Seems like they're pulling out the crap from the bargain bin and slapping a high price tag on it. Most of the new guns I've looked at are fairly priced, but the used stuff is pretty high. I find it hard to pay 10% less for an item that is only in 70% condition.

I'm with you on this one. I guess the days of hitting up a gun show and walking away with the deal of a lifetime are over.

Keep looking, though. They're out there. I missed out on a Service Six in 357 at my LGS. He was asking $325 out the door (or best offer as it was a consignment gun). Saw it on a Tuesday. Went back on Friday and it was long gone. Sigh...

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I've noticed a pattern at the gun shows lately. Higher prices and crappier products. Seems like they're pulling out the crap from the bargain bin and slapping a high price tag on it. Most of the new guns I've looked at are fairly priced, but the used stuff is pretty high. I find it hard to pay 10% less for an item that is only in 70% condition.

I'm with you on this one. I guess the days of hitting up a gun show and walking away with the deal of a lifetime are over.
Hmmmm... Sounds like supply and demand at work.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Hmmmm... Sounds like supply and demand at work.
Definitely supply and demand. I think anytime you are on the cusp of a particularly significant presidential election or the holiday season, or in this case, both with the election and Christmas just 6 weeks apart, you get a lot of people clamoring to buy. Either out of fear or paranoia or for gifting purposes. All of the above will apply over the next 3 months.

It's not a bad thing, it's just that when an item is at 70% condition, it's hard to pay 90% of the new value for it. Especially with a brand new option sitting next to it. But then again, I know plenty of people that would take a 70% firearm at 70% of the new price and with a little elbow grease and a couple hours time, restore it to 90% condition. Those are the times that it's a big win for the handymen in the business. :)

I personally don't buy when the market is up. I'm headed to a show next weekend with a couple of things in mind, but I'm not holding high hopes for catching a decent deal on anything in the used market.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Bvd1..I feel your pain, used to be two or three good gun shows here in Atlanta each year. Now there is a gun show here in the metro area every weekend! Not enough time for anyone to come with some new inventory and some better stories to go along with the guns. I have had better luck at pawn shops lately.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Love mine

Picked up a security six a while back at my LGS, it has been great, got it for $340 out the door. Dates back to 1978. Very clean and shoots great, pic in my avatar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts