Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i was just posting on another thread about what i've bought in the last 48 hours (firearms related) and it brought to mind my small purchases yesterday at the crossroads of the west gun show here in vegas. i was floored by the prices!! i've only gone to a few other gun shows in my life, but usually they have some screaming deals, some fair deals, some ok, and some stay away. yesterday virtually all the big ticket items (ie., guns themselves and huge bulk quantities of ammo, etc.) were ridiculously high-priced. i priced the firearms i already own against what some vendors had, and EVEN ASSUMING THESE WERE NEW GUNS FOR THE SAKE OF ARGUMENT, their prices were higher than what i could go to sportsmans warehouse or wallyworld right now. who would buy a new but possibly used gun at a gun show for as much or more than you could NIB at a reputable store????? same thing on mags-- same or higher prices than what i could get right now at those same two stores. craziness!!! you could make the election cycle argument, but that doesn't really cut it, since those stores aren't raising their prices, and if they're not raising their prices, these vendors aren't competitive. thoughts on the insanity? (mind you, i still had fun going and buying a couple small items that i couldn't have gotten anywhere else and just browsing around, but i would have been disappointed if i'd gone in with the idea of making a big purchase).

·
Registered
947 Posts
I don't know if it's my imagination, but it seems every time the Prez opens his trap about some new gun control measure, the dealers crank the prices skyward, and we have sudden "shortages" in ammo. I sometimes wonder who's side these guys are on? Sorry for the sour grapes!:mad:

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's the thing, though-- WAY stupid prices at the show, but my main stores i buy from haven't changed. heck they've even had some nice sales prices recently. so why the gun show hype?? or maybe that's the answer right there-- vendors just figuring they can bamboozle people at gun shows. i seriously almost laughed out loud when i looked at some of the price tags, 'cuz i go to my favorite store enough to know what they're pricing my current stock and my wish list at. stuff at the show was anywhere from $20 to $80 higher than the store(s), and again that's ASSUMING that these were new items, and not hard to get either. i had a heck of a time finding a P95 early in the summer, but then the market around here got flooded with them and sportsmans warehouse has had them in stock and at the same price for three or four months now. the gun show prices on the P95s i saw were AT LEAST $40 higher-- they were acting like there was still some sort of shortage. it was weird. same thing on 380s i looked at. same thing even on 10/22 takedowns i saw around. UNIFORMLY higher prices than regular stores. call me crazy but i don't get the math on that.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I like to shop' auctions rather than the gun shows. The price winds up being 'What the market decides'. Sometimes the 'Market' is unrealistic, and I back out and wait for the right combination, rather than overpay for a gun.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
A "dealer" at the Bloomsburg, PA gun show yesterday had an SR1911 bearing a $825 price tag. I asked him if he was serious, and he just shrugged in that GTF-away-from-me manner that I love so much. As other posters have mentioned, bulk ammo prices are a joke. I'm mad at myself for continuing to go to these things.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Browse the Gun Shows and you will find a great disparity in the prices and that goes for any State,Its what the consumer is willing to spend,and not be taken advantage of.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Browse the Gun Shows and you will find a great disparity in the prices and that goes for any State,Its what the consumer is willing to spend,and not be taken advantage of.
that would seem to = a bunch of goobers buying guns here in vegas. since they could go to the same stores i go to, i can only account for their gun show purchases with being ignorant of the local market and/or being so gung-ho they weren't deterred by high prices.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
The last gun show my wife and I attended, we bought more non gun items than gun items. I bought a wallet, a tee shirt and some ammo that was reasonably priced. My wife bought some jewelry and a soft case for her GP100.

Parts and magazines for my project gun were double I expected to pay and all the new guns no matter what brand or caliber were right at or slightly above full blown retail. It seems like the only deals to be had at a gun show are the private owner looking to sell his used gun for a reasonable price.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I posted about this several months ago. The gun show prices have been exorbitant. I was at a local show a couple of weekends ago and saw some decent guns but the prices were just way out of reach. One dealer actually had 2 SR1911's and he was asking $789 each for them. Bulk .223 ammo was around 40 cents per round and there weren't even any name-brand optics. The only table at the show with a decent optics selection were all AIM Sports and off-brand Chinese crap.

I think some of the bigger cities around me have decent stuff at the shows, but my small town leaves a lot to be desired at the shows. I actually stopped by my LGS the other night after work and they said the guy that puts on the shows around here isn't coming back. He said the turnout is too small and no product is moving.

With the prices I saw, I can't say I'm surprised. I figure after the election and Christmas, prices will go back to normal. The holidays and fear of gun control tend to make people buy things on a whim or in a frenzy so they can get away with higher prices, especially for first-time or uneducated buyers just looking for a piece to take home.

If you find something you really want and the price is too high, make an offer. Otherwise, it's best just to move on. I don't haggle for the most part. Typically if there's a 20% difference in the asking price and what you're willing to pay, there's "no getting there from here" so to speak and it's probably unlikely that you'll convince the seller otherwise. It can't hurt to ask, I guess...

·
Banned
650 Posts
I have never purchased a gun at a gun show. Lots of people go to the shows but I don't know why. One friend who seldom misses a gun show has bought guns on a fair deal from individuals but never from a vendor. If his gas, time and entry fees are worth anything he could have bought the guns he did get a deal on new.

High prices at the gun show are nothing new. I usually go to one or two shows a year just because all my friends are going. I have so little confidence I am going to buy something I never bring over $50. There is an ATM that costs $6 to use at the fairgrounds. In once in a lifetime chance I find a deal I will pay the $6.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have never purchased a gun at a gun show. Lots of people go to the shows but I don't know why. One friend who seldom misses a gun show has bought guns on a fair deal from individuals but never from a vendor. If his gas, time and entry fees are worth anything he could have bought the guns he did get a deal on new.

High prices at the gun show are nothing new. I usually go to one or two shows a year just because all my friends are going. I have so little confidence I am going to buy something I never bring over $50. There is an ATM that costs $6 to use at the fairgrounds. In once in a lifetime chance I find a deal I will pay the $6.
that's about where i'm at-- before even going in and being appalled, i only got $60 out. i do enjoy looking around, but there was really nothing there for me firearms related. i'll probably go again in the future because this is a big city and we do get fairly big shows, but i view it more as entertainment now than anything else. if a screaming deal lands in my lap, great, but i'm not going to hold my breath. and in spite of my wish list on that other thread, i don't desperately need anything right now anyway.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I was actually at the CADA gun show in Grayslake, IL, just today, with my neighbor. This was my first time at a gun show and I went for the experience and the hope of finding some bargains. I knew what I wanted and I also knew a fair price. We both brought our money and ready to buy but, I was sorely disappointed in the ridiculous prices on ammo and used guns. Worst of all every time we found something to buy they weren't even trying to negotiate. It was upsetting and after a couple hours I realized that for me, its a waste of time and won't bother with them any more and it cost me $10 to learn this. Better off supporting your local gun shops.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Usually I go to gun shows to look for rare and unusual caliber ammo for several of my guns that gun shops don't carry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Usually I go to gun shows to look for rare and unusual caliber ammo for several of my guns that gun shops don't carry.
That is my reason for the one in a few weeks. I need 32 special for a ~50 year old lever marlin I just inherited.

I will also be looking into a SR22 and LCR 357. My local shop has them for $306 and $458 respectively before taxes etc. Using cash do you think I could get 30 to 40 dollars under those prices?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
It's called shopping. Some of the dealers at gun shows will ask what the market will bear and are looking for the impulse buyer with money burning a hole in his/her pocket. Within the last year I made two purchases that were good deals, a Ruger LCR .38 and most recently Ruger MKIII 22/45 target Bull Barrel at two different shows.

Before I go to the gun shows I research prices of what I might want. I then walk through the show and compare prices. If I find a deal, I buy. If not, I move on. A month ago I saw a SR 1911 $800+. The dealer saw me looking and came over. I shook my head, said " too high" and moved on. This was the same dealer in the Dallas area I got the good deal on the LCR several months previously.

I really don't have a problem with Gun Shows and dealers. They typically have their BATF License which means they have to follow the requirements of storage and paperwork. They have the travel costs to the shows, hotel, tables. They have family or friends helping. Costs of a secure trailer for travel. Costs of com devices to BATF or credit devices for credit sales. The dealer small or large at gun shows have to include in their prices, the cost of business. In saying that ther are a few that will take your money and smile when, on impulse and a roll of money, you decide that you have to have the newest toy.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Crow,

I guess that I am somewhat like you. I go to a gun show mostly for the SHOW part. While I have bought accessories, or ammo, a few times, I have never bought a gun at a gun show.

Duane

·
Registered
74 Posts
Same here when it's in San Diego. I really haven't seen any spectacular deals on anything. By the time I pay entry fee and parking I'm already 20 bucks in the hole. But I continue going just for the atmosphere and hope that I may stumble acroos something that catches my eye.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts