Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a KP 89 Ruger today at local gun show. It has quite a bit of finish wear and scratches, and had no magazine. Serial no. is 309-23xxx. Price was $200 out the door. Considering the finish wear on the pistol, and no magazine, I don't think I got a real steal of a price, but I could not resist another P series.

I have noticed that P series guns are getting scarce to see at gun shows. I can remember 3 or 4 years ago, a P series or two was just about on every gun show table.......Not anymore!

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
Be careful. The P series are addictive. Once you have one you'll want more. I have 5 now and 2 PC9 carbines to go along with them.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
A couple of MecGar P89 magazines and you'll be all set.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
$200 is a great price, it's likely a security trade in with 300 rounds through it.

Mags are easy to get, like was said Mec Gar makes the best mags out there, I just got a nickel one for $25.
The mags fit every 9mm P-series from the 89 to the 95, which is good, because my P89 and P94 can share mags.

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
That's strange because I have a P94 in 9mm that doesn't like the mec gar mags, but they fit in my P95 pistols. The P94 seems to only like the Ruger factory mags. The mec gar ones don't seem to catch the internal latch to lock in place.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The Mec Gar I got fits in both my P89 and P94, if it fits in the P95 I'd just roll with it.

That said the LE only marked magazine that came with my P94 .40 fits like crap......another reason why I love wheelguns I guess, no fooling around with oddball fitting magazines.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I never see the Ruger P guns like I use to see . They are going up as they get older ,I have some and all are flawless. My boy works Fed Prison system and he still uses P95 Ruger when out and about on job . I just traded my P 94 in 40 cal for a new Ruger American 9mm .

·
Registered
9 Posts
As a matter of fact, I picked up a 310-40XXX stainless P89 this past weekend.
It was our local gun show as well. It cost me $344 out the door. It came with
the box, 2 magazines ( 10rd and 15rd), speed-loader. It was rather dirty when
I picked it up. I brought it home and immediately gave it a good cleaning.
I am afraid that I have also gotten bit by the P series but myself. This is my
second P series pistol that I have added to my pistol inventory.
If the weather holds out, I'm going to give them both a go at the range this
weekend.

J

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
As a matter of fact, I picked up a 310-40XXX stainless P89 this past weekend.
It was our local gun show as well. It cost me $344 out the door. It came with
the box, 2 magazines ( 10rd and 15rd), speed-loader. It was rather dirty when
I picked it up. I brought it home and immediately gave it a good cleaning.
I am afraid that I have also gotten bit by the P series but myself. This is my
second P series pistol that I have added to my pistol inventory.
If the weather holds out, I'm going to give them both a go at the range this
weekend.

J
Welcome to the P-series addiction! :D

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Bought a KP 89 Ruger today at local gun show. It has quite a bit of finish wear and scratches, and had no magazine. Serial no. is 309-23xxx. Price was $200 out the door. Considering the finish wear on the pistol, and no magazine, I don't think I got a real steal of a price, but I could not resist another P series.

I have noticed that P series guns are getting scarce to see at gun shows. I can remember 3 or 4 years ago, a P series or two was just about on every gun show table.......Not anymore!
Very nice pick up ... I don't see to many deals like that at my local gun shows.

Be careful. The P series are addictive. Once you have one you'll want more. I have 5 now and 2 PC9 carbines to go along with them.
You just stated what every other P series owner is thinking ... they are like Lays potato chips ... "you just can't have one" ... :):):):):):):):):):):)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$200 KP 89 gun show buy first time at range

Took it to range a few days ago and fired approx. 150 rds. of my reloads (mixed cases, Berrys plated 115 gr. RN, IMR PB powder, and S & B primers). These reloads work fine in my couple of other P series pistols.
Had several light firing pin strikes when firing double action, all went bang when firing single action. I suspect a weak hammer spring. Have a new one (standard factory weight) on order from Wolff, as well as a new standard weight recoil spring.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Nice grab. Once you revamp the springs, she'll run just fine. The last used P series gun I saw was a consignment sale P95 and that was a couple years ago.

·
Registered
410 Posts
My LGS had a P85 with 4 mags for $380 when I was in there last week. I didn't check it out to closely though, I was busy picking up a new SR45

·
Registered
548 Posts
It's not that they're scarce per se, as over a million were made throughout their 22+ year production cycle, but that I suspect that owners are realizing just how foundationally good they are, and are more assiduously hanging on to them. While relatively inexpensive to own and manufacture, they are hardly cheap in construction, performance, or value.

I very much consider my 2007-vintage P89 to be an exceptionally viable, accurate, reliable, and durable pistol-and very much competitive with more expensive, more modern, "high speed/low drag" niche pistols. And the ergonomics, especially with a Hogue rubber fingergroove grip added, are just short of superb (points are lost only due to the lack of slide grasping grooves on the non-DAO models).

Mine will routinely turn 1" to 1.5" groups; that may be a bit of an exception, but hey, it sure works for me. And that's with a very nice DA/SA triggerpull.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Installed new Wolff standard weight hammer spring today and fired 50 rds. double action. All fired , so I think it is safe to say that the original factory hammer spring may have been weak, thus resulting in light firing pin strikes when firing in double action mode.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts