Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In was re-watching an episode of Band Of Brothers, a mini-series I enjoy and that is generally very well made.

In this episode, though, Pvt. Blithe is firing his Garand from his fox hole. He fires 8 shots, and we hear the obligatory "ping" that Hollywood has come to love. They go to slow motion, and instead of seeing the clip eject, the camera watches the trajectory of a spent round as the brass tumbles out of the rifle. Hmmm...

They switch back to Blithe in normal speed, and he continues to fire, despite having never reloaded. Next there's a bit of dialogue, and the camera goes back to Blithe, who inexplicably pulls back on the charging handle to chamber a round. He fires one shot and "ping!" A clip rejects. Huh?

The producers of the show went through a lot of trouble to get the uniforms and weapons right. After all that trouble, then they just go ahead and do stuff that makes no sense.

Oh, well. I guess that wasn't nearly as goofy as in the first episode of The Walking Dead, when the guy flips off the "safety" right before firing a Glock.

·
Registered
655 Posts
One of my favorite movies to watch is Open Range. But, one part that really gets on my nerves is the 16 (I think) shots that Charlie Weight (Kevin Costner) gets out of his Colt SAA at the beginning of the gunfight before reloading. Still fun to watch though.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
In was re-watching an episode of Band Of Brothers, a mini-series I enjoy and that is generally very well made.

In this episode, though, Pvt. Blithe is firing his Garand from his fox hole. He fires 8 shots, and we hear the obligatory "ping" that Hollywood has come to love. They go to slow motion, and instead of seeing the clip eject, the camera watches the trajectory of a spent round as the brass tumbles out of the rifle. Hmmm...

They switch back to Blithe in normal speed, and he continues to fire, despite having never reloaded. Next there's a bit of dialogue, and the camera goes back to Blithe, who inexplicably pulls back on the charging handle to chamber a round. He fires one shot and "ping!" A clip rejects. Huh?

The producers of the show went through a lot of trouble to get the uniforms and weapons right. After all that trouble, then they just go ahead and do stuff that makes no sense.

Oh, well. I guess that wasn't nearly as goofy as in the first episode of The Walking Dead, when the guy flips off the "safety" right before firing a Glock.
My guess is they weren't willing to spend $100,000 on a retake to satisfy the 1% who were going to watch the series anyway....

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I don't remember the name of the movie but Lance Henrikson played the bad guy and had a TC contender 45/70.
In one scene he is aiming at something with the camera shooting from his point of view and the firing pin selector is in the safety position.

Lots of flaws in movies. Directors and producers work in a fantasy world. Real world facts are of little concern to them.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I think that was "Hard Target".......with Lance Henriksen with the 45/70 Contender....he tells that chick "Load Me" lol gotta laugh at that stuff.....besides the fact that a single shot pistol is probably THE worst choice for a combat weapon....I wouldn't look too deep into everything being right in an early 90's Van Damme movie lol I love those films, I grew up watching that stuff. In 20-30 years the stuff we watch now will seem cheesy:)

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
I wish the "infinitimags" used in Hollywood were available to the general public.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
The new release " John Wick" he fires about 20 rounds out of one mag. Musta been a "triple" stack. LOL. And he also shoots everyone in the head,,, TWICE. :confused: What a waste of ammo.

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
I love the fact that in the early Westerns everybody has an 1873 Colt SAA that was made as early as 1820. :D

Or the 1892 made as early as 1860. :D :D

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I love the fact that in the early Westerns everybody has an 1873 Colt SAA that was made as early as 1820. :D

Or the 1892 made as early as 1860. :D :D
The movie, " The good, bad & ugly", they are all using pistols that were not made yet ! :D

·
Banned
551 Posts
The new release " John Wick" he fires about 20 rounds out of one mag. Musta been a "triple" stack. LOL. And he also shoots everyone in the head,,, TWICE. :confused: What a waste of ammo.
I noticed that in that movie (which I thoroughly enjoyed). I don't often notice how many times they fire these days. I think you get used to the endless round cylinders but 'John Wick' set the bar higher than I had become used to.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,556 Posts
I was watching The Prince (a poor man's Taken) and couldn't help but get distracted by poor gun handling.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You have to wonder who they hire for "technical advisors" when it comes to firearms related scenes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Lets not forget Rambo.

Blanks from an "M60", & firing a LAW from cockpit thru broken windscreen of helicopter. Probably others too.

Tech advisor on set? who knows for sure.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,556 Posts
You have to wonder who they hire for "technical advisors" when it comes to firearms related scenes.
Here's one.
From American Sniper:
Many of the rank-and-file Marines depicted in the movie are actually Moroccans dressed to look like Americans, said the movie’s top technical military adviser, retired Sgt. Maj. James Dever. A former Force Reconnaissance Marine, he trained them to move like U.S. infantrymen, and made sure the right weapons were used in filming.

Moroccan tanks were used in some of the combat scenes, and dressed up with special effects to look like American Abrams tanks, Dever said. The Moroccans involved wanted to do the job right, and were good about taking direction, he said. In other scenes, former U.S. Marines played Navy SEALs. The weapons for Kyle and his fellow service members in the movie change just as they would in real life based on the situations they faced.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...stwoods-staff-weighs-in-on-what-they-changed/

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
842 Posts
One of my favorite movies to watch is Open Range. But, one part that really gets on my nerves is the 16 (I think) shots that Charlie Weight (Kevin Costner) gets out of his Colt SAA at the beginning of the gunfight before reloading. Still fun to watch though.
This is through editing. In the deleted scenes, there's a scene where he's reloading. It got cut from the final cut...

Great film.

Aqualung

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
John Wayne always had a 45/70 round in his gun belt, but never carried a 45/70. I had somebody ask me about this last week as I have a loop for 45/70 on my gun belt. They mentioned John Wayne but the purpose of the oversize loop was for cap, and ball cylinder wedge tool.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Watched a couple of early James Bond movies last weekend. Always a good variety of nice guns in those movies. I Like the scene where they take his beretta away and he tries to sneak it off the desk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts