Ruger Forum banner

Guns In TV And Movies

567 views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  dV8r 
#1 · (Edited)
In was re-watching an episode of Band Of Brothers, a mini-series I enjoy and that is generally very well made.

In this episode, though, Pvt. Blithe is firing his Garand from his fox hole. He fires 8 shots, and we hear the obligatory "ping" that Hollywood has come to love. They go to slow motion, and instead of seeing the clip eject, the camera watches the trajectory of a spent round as the brass tumbles out of the rifle. Hmmm...

They switch back to Blithe in normal speed, and he continues to fire, despite having never reloaded. Next there's a bit of dialogue, and the camera goes back to Blithe, who inexplicably pulls back on the charging handle to chamber a round. He fires one shot and "ping!" A clip rejects. Huh?

The producers of the show went through a lot of trouble to get the uniforms and weapons right. After all that trouble, then they just go ahead and do stuff that makes no sense.

Oh, well. I guess that wasn't nearly as goofy as in the first episode of The Walking Dead, when the guy flips off the "safety" right before firing a Glock.

#18 ·
This is through editing. In the deleted scenes, there's a scene where he's reloading. It got cut from the final cut...

Great film.

Aqualung

#5 ·
My guess is they weren't willing to spend $100,000 on a retake to satisfy the 1% who were going to watch the series anyway....

#6 ·
I don't remember the name of the movie but Lance Henrikson played the bad guy and had a TC contender 45/70.
In one scene he is aiming at something with the camera shooting from his point of view and the firing pin selector is in the safety position.

Lots of flaws in movies. Directors and producers work in a fantasy world. Real world facts are of little concern to them.

#7 ·
I think that was "Hard Target".......with Lance Henriksen with the 45/70 Contender....he tells that chick "Load Me" lol gotta laugh at that stuff.....besides the fact that a single shot pistol is probably THE worst choice for a combat weapon....I wouldn't look too deep into everything being right in an early 90's Van Damme movie lol I love those films, I grew up watching that stuff. In 20-30 years the stuff we watch now will seem cheesy:)

#10 ·
The new release " John Wick" he fires about 20 rounds out of one mag. Musta been a "triple" stack. LOL. And he also shoots everyone in the head,,, TWICE. :confused: What a waste of ammo.

#13 ·
I noticed that in that movie (which I thoroughly enjoyed). I don't often notice how many times they fire these days. I think you get used to the endless round cylinders but 'John Wick' set the bar higher than I had become used to.

#12 ·
The movie, " The good, bad & ugly", they are all using pistols that were not made yet ! :D

#14 ·
I was watching The Prince (a poor man's Taken) and couldn't help but get distracted by poor gun handling.

#17 ·
Here's one.
From American Sniper:
Many of the rank-and-file Marines depicted in the movie are actually Moroccans dressed to look like Americans, said the movie’s top technical military adviser, retired Sgt. Maj. James Dever. A former Force Reconnaissance Marine, he trained them to move like U.S. infantrymen, and made sure the right weapons were used in filming.

Moroccan tanks were used in some of the combat scenes, and dressed up with special effects to look like American Abrams tanks, Dever said. The Moroccans involved wanted to do the job right, and were good about taking direction, he said. In other scenes, former U.S. Marines played Navy SEALs. The weapons for Kyle and his fellow service members in the movie change just as they would in real life based on the situations they faced.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...stwoods-staff-weighs-in-on-what-they-changed/

#24 ·
probably mentioned before, but if really interested there is a great movie / tv database called : imfdb.org lots of great detail stuff on thousands of movies and tv shows with good links on wikipedia to many firearms. Just thought i'd mention it.

#26 · (Edited)
If you look real close at some of the movies about the Marines fighting on Guadalcanal you can usually spot someone with an M1 Garand when in fact I think they were only issued Springfields. I think I red that the Marines were issued the M1 in November of 1942 except for Carlson's Raiders who had them earlier.

#28 ·
I'm not sure when the Marines were officially issued the Garand. Even when they were officially adopted, the Marines were more resistant to switching than were the army infantrymen. In the mini-series "The Pacific," which was generally pretty accurate, they did not have Garands. They had 1903's, and they even lugged around heavy water-cooled machine guns. Later on when the army got there, there's a scene where some of the beleaguered Marines are astounded by the riches in the army supply dumps, and they sneak in to liberate a bunch of goodies.

#29 ·
It's only TV.....

#30 ·
Love this shot from "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"....Lee Van Cleef's gun belt...cartridges in the loops and percussion caps on the revolver???...:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.