Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to my lgs today about the prices he was getting on new guns. He said his suppliers were raising the prices about $400 a day on AR15s. He said he made more profit a month ago on a rifle he sold for $1,000 then he makes today selling that same rifle today for $3,000. He said he isn't the one making the huge profit but rather the suppliers.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Which leaves them another dilemma - when they buy one at $3000 wholesale and then things return to normal - and the price is back to $1499 - and maybe why they are not anxious to restock the shelves - if the profit per unit is the same or less and the risk of losing $ on the "last" one ordered what would you do.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which leaves them another dilemma - when they buy one at $3000 wholesale and then things return to normal - and the price is back to $1499 - and maybe why they are not anxious to restock the shelves - if the profit per unit is the same or less and the risk of losing $ on the "last" one ordered what would you do.
He said he can't even order more because the middlemen are starting to run out. Now its in the manufacturers lap. They are building them as fast as they can and not shipping them.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I am sure all of those in the chain of supply have feeling that are somewhat like the way I feel about selling a couple of Saiga AK's a few weeks ago for @ $650-$700 each, and seeing similiar rifles go at an auction this week for $1400-$1800. The " If only I had held on for a couple of weeks,,,,etc" feelings could effect the willingness of any link in the chain to sit on inventory to drive the prices up even more. Like musical chairs, someone will be left holding property whose value has returned to 'sane', when the bubble bursts.

BTW- Just a sidebar comment. At last weeks auction they had a Barrett M-107 50 caliber semi-auto with all the factory extras, new in the box (or claimed to be). The pre-auction internet bidding had risen to $10,000 at auction time. Two bidders in the house took it up from there to a selling price of $13,000...and paid cash at the window for it and 100 rounds of 50 BMG ammo at about $4.00 a round.

·
The Shooterologist
3,992 Posts
I would imagine the suppliers believe that this is the end of the firearm market.
I am guessing that they figure the politicans trying to pass the gun control laws will succeed, and they won't be able to sell firearms anymore.

If it does not come to pass, they'll just re-stock to sell the gun stock at new prices, just a little higher than they were before the big rise.
A newer gunless generation will be coming up (they do every year). When they reach the age of being able to purchase a firearm, they will, regardless of price.

The shooting sport will suffer, of course.

One of the ranges I shoot at has enough ammo for about half of the season. After that...who knows?

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would imagine the suppliers believe that this is the end of the firearm market.
I am guessing that they figure the politicans trying to pass the gun control laws will succeed, and they won't be able to sell firearms anymore.

If it does not come to pass, they'll just re-stock to sell the gun stock at new prices, just a little higher than they were before the big rise.
A newer gunless generation will be coming up (they do every year). When they reach the age of being able to purchase a firearm, they will, regardless of price.

The shooting sport will suffer, of course.

One of the ranges I shoot at has enough ammo for about half of the season. After that...who knows?
I'm thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'm not totally convinced the maunfacturers have raised their prices that much. I'm going to get some feedback from my uncle when the Shot Show is over to see what the pulse is. They have a booth out there and deal with a lot of big maunfacturers.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not totally convinced the maunfacturers have raised their prices that much. I'm going to get some feedback from my uncle when the Shot Show is over to see what the pulse is. They have a booth out there and deal with a lot of big maunfacturers.
I believe the manufacturers have stopped shipping. If you don't ship prices don't matter. Since no one knows what is next they might be concentrating on making just the receivers and hoping that any existing firearm could be sold.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Could very well be 303. If you look at RRA's website they are selling bolt assemblies at the same regular price as before, hence my hesitation. My LGS is still selling Kimber Custom II's for $699 and are in stock. Of course most anything semi-auto related is out of stock and they won't do a waiting list.

I have about everything I need and have been stocking up for years so it doesn't worry me too much. Hopefully everything straightens out soon though. As stated earlier I'll get feedback from my Uncle after the Shot Show and see what his thoughts are after talking to people in the industry.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could very well be 303. If you look at RRA's website they are selling bolt assemblies at the same regular price as before, hence my hesitation. My LGS is still selling Kimber Custom II's for $699 and are in stock. Of course most anything semi-auto related is out of stock and they won't do a waiting list.

I have about everything I need and have been stocking up for years so it doesn't worry me too much. Hopefully everything straightens out soon though. As stated earlier I'll get feedback from my Uncle after the Shot Show and see what his thoughts are after talking to people in the industry.
Will be looking forward to your post.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I thought an AR-15 was NOT used in the shooting, as so many forum members here were pointing out and it was reported by the Chief of Police in the investigation that he left it in the car and used pistols. I thought it was the media's agenda to stir up efforts to ban the "black assault rifle". I must have missed something.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Walked into my LGS this week for the first time in about a month and asked if his store had been burglarized. The place looked like the grocery store bread and milk shelves when the forecast is "snow"...REALLY noticeable.

This is a fair sized store but ammo shelves were almost bare...no 22's at all. Half of his stock of rifles and shotguns, including all of his 22's, were gone. Revolver and pistol showcases almost bare. I think the only new revolver he had was a S&W 386 XL Hunter 6"....tag $850 + tax...over $900. The remaining 9 were lesser known worn out consignments. I didn't count but think his pistol stock was maybe 7-8. AR's and AK's had been sold out for months.

The owner said he has spent hours on the phone with distributors but has been unable to locate ANY with rifles, shotguns, revolvers or pistols to buy. He was also unable to locate ANY reloading supplies: powder, brass or bullets.

Glad my neighbors got them before the government did. I feel a little safer now from the bad guys...AND the government.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Walked into my LGS this week for the first time in about a month and asked if his store had been burglarized. The place looked like the grocery store bread and milk shelves when the forecast is "snow"...REALLY noticeable.

This is a fair sized store but ammo shelves were almost bare...no 22's at all. Half of his stock of rifles and shotguns, including all of his 22's, were gone. Revolver and pistol showcases almost bare. I think the only new revolver he had was a S&W 386 XL Hunter 6"....tag $850 + tax...over $900. The remaining 9 were lesser known worn out consignments. I didn't count but think his pistol stock was maybe 7-8. AR's and AK's had been sold out for months.

The owner said he has spent hours on the phone with distributors but has been unable to locate ANY with rifles, shotguns, revolvers or pistols to buy. He was also unable to locate ANY reloading supplies: powder, brass or bullets.

Glad my neighbors got them before the government did. I feel a little safer now from the bad guys...AND the government.
I finally stopped beating the bushes. There is almost nothing in the supply chain right now.

This is way worse than 1994 and 2009. Because it is really going to not end well for us shooters, even if we negotiate the ban down some.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
My LGS's shelves were nearly empty too. When I walked in he was on the phone, literally begging his distributor for inventory. The place was pretty empty but he had more customers than I've ever seen in there. No ar-15', only a few shotguns, and a fair amount of pistols. To his credit, his prices hadn't gone up any to speak of.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts