Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am looking for a ccw weapon and I had it narrowed down to ruger sp101 or glock 27 4os&w I was in the glock forum and I seen several posts where guys have had there guns blow up on them, there were two in there today talking about it, and they said they were using factory ammo. Man this kind of scares me abit, thinking that the gun can go bang and pieces fly everywhere, so I am going to go with the ruger sp101 in 357 mag, I know that a revolver can do that too but they are made of steel, and I think will hold up better.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
no arguments from me concerning ruger products.
And i am not a fan of the 40 s&w cal in about any format.

But glocks are still probably considered a top notch handgun in most circles and i must admit a durable proven design. I know that there was some issues in the early glock models that some argue was design----others argue it was the ammo. And then there is the reported issue of not using cast lead bullets in a glock. That purty much axed it off my list. should i ever go the glock route, it will probably be a 9mm as i don't reload for that caliber---but then again i might if ammo costs keep going up!

Still, a revolver such as the sp101 offers tremondous versatility in ammo and power choices.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I'm not familiar with Glocks, but the sp101 is a great revolver. I have a 3" and love it. You can't go wrong with a Ruger revolver imo.

·
Super Moderator
21,405 Posts
My SP-101 2 1/2" is my principal CCW. It is a great gun and bulit like a tank. I can't speak to the Glocks but had never heard any issues until now.

Hey deputy what are your issues with the 40 S&W? I have a P94 in 40 and its is totally reliable and very accurate. I have been fortunate enough to have never fired a shot at a BG so I only know results on paper. I keep it as my nightstand gun so you have made me curious.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
i consider the 40 s&w to be inaccurate---i may be wrong, but 9mm, 45 acp, and 38 spl guns in my hands generally will out-shoot any service 40 in the accuracy dept from a steady rest. May be just me, but in my experience with service sidearms, the 40 is where i believe the famous statement "combat accurate" came from. A term to describe 4" to 5" groups at 25 yds to be acceptable. There are exceptions and i am aware of that----it just seems to be a general consensus. Vast majority of all defensive shootings are inside 5 yards so it may not matter to most--but it bugs me so that is my baggage to carry...... sometimes the defensive handgun has to become an offensive weapon.

I also believe the 40 has been put into too many 9mm format weapons. The 40 is a higher pressure round and is both harder on the gun and on the shooter as well. Think "K" frame smith revolver here. 38's and it will last forever and easy to shoot. Steady diet of .357's and the recoil/kick from that "K" frame starts to take a toll on the gun and the shooter compared to a "L" frame smith or gp100 frame revolver. Most in le that i know can make faster, more controled shooting with a 9mm or a 45 than compared to the 40.

Yes, it is a training issue, but most of today's leo's are not from a handgun culture and getting them to practice--more or less pass qualifcation---is a problem.

I compare the 40 in the semi-auto to the .357 mag revolver in terms of shootability for a lot of officers. A round that most people have trouble controling as it is above their threshold. Yes they can shoot a semi-auto 40 better than a 357 revolver, but they can shoot a 9mm or 45 (depending on hand size) better yet.

And yes, i do carry a 40 as required by my department. If i had my choice, it would be the 45. Which is what i do carry off duty.

The 40 s&w is an excellent defensive round---if a person is willing to master it. But i would rather have someone make a solid hit with a 9 or a 45 than a miss or poor shot placement with the 40 because of claims of kick, too sharp of a rap, or can't control in rapid fire or double taps. This may seem to be an exagurated problem--sounds like the old 44spl vs 44 mag or 357 vs 38 spl debate of years past-but i see it on the lines at public and police ranges----especially as the semi-auto is continung in a direction of lighter materials and smaller size. Today's prefered duty gun was yester-year's colt officer or colt commander in size---but one third less weight which means more kick. . The comparisons have merely been moved to the auto-pistol format as far as controlability.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,413 Posts
The only reason Kabooms are more common in Glocks is there are a hell of a lot more Glocks out there in 40 S&W than any other brand. The primary issue comes from 40 S&Ws with a feed ramp built into the barrel (nearly all brands). This allows a small area where the wall of the cartridge is not supported by the chamber (called non-fully supported chamber). The 40 S&W is a high pressure round .... about 35k psi, just like a 9mm or 38 Super. When the larger bullet gets pushed deeper into the case from repeated feeding then finally fired, the pressure will skyrocket and blow up the gun. This can happen with virtually any 40 S&W pistol, not just Glocks.

I'm with deputy125 on 40 S&Ws. I've owned a couple and have fired several different brands. I've yet to find a single 40 S&W pistol that was as accurate or as controllable as my good old Colt Commander in 45 ACP.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys for the info, I guess I will stay away from the 40s&w and go with either the 9mm or 45acp now another question, I know this is not a glock forum but in 45acp do you think glock is better or springfield xd is better I see the new 2008 model of xd has a thumg safety on it. thanks again for the comments they really help and I am going to get the sp101 also lol.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I am another that does not like the 40 S&W round. The recoil is harsh, for me. I like .45 and 9mm. I carried an SP101 for several years. Of all the rounds to shoot, 9mm is my favorite. Today's sd loads are way ahead for years past. I shoot 9mm best, therefore, 9mm is my carry choice....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Let me ring in on the side of the .45 or 9mm...had a Glock 22 for a coupla years...sold it to my brother and went back to .45---never again will I own a .40....sharp snappy recoil...had one round did what Iowegan said and hurt my boy's hands...I can think of no reason why a .45 won't do anything the .40 will better....if a coupla extra rounds in the mag is important...go to the P95 with a Mecgar 17-rd clip!!!!! If 18 rounds won't get it...you shoulda been slappin' 'em with the .45 anyways...just my O pinion :)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,413 Posts
brent_bowser, I don't think there's much difference in quality between a Glock and a Springfield. The real issue is .... which one do you shoot best? Within high quality guns, brands are pretty much meaningless. Always choose the specific gun and cartridge that best suits your needs.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
+1 on that iowegan.

Best recomendation i can make is to go to a range and try a few out. Most range folks will gladly let someone look over and try out a gun. Or range rentals may be an option.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Those are words of wisdom, Iowegan.....

Also, don't forget the slim-nines. Sever or eight rnds of 9mm plus a couple of extra mags, make a pretty decent defense plan. The slim-nines are single stack, slim, and can be lightweight.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I own a Glock model 22 (full size .40) and an SP101DAO (I carry 38+P).

My son owns a Glock model 34 (long barrel 9mm).

I have shot both the Glock 26 and 27.

Get the SP101. I love my Glock. I love my Ruger more. When I'm headed out the door I always take the SP101. I never think twice about it. My hands are too big to get a good grip on the 26 or 27. But I can hang onto the SP and drill holes with it at 15 yards.

Just my opinion...

My son tells me the Glock .40 is evil...

·
Registered
193 Posts
As far as Glock vs. Springfield. After handling both I prefer the Springfield. For me it was a natural pointer. Both will probably be equally reliable though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The culprit in glock KBs is the striker. The glock [and most striker fired guns] will fire out of battery.This leaves a significant portion of the brass unsupported and with a hot round like the .40 s&w this is bad.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Deputy, thanks for all you shared about your personal experience. Interesting. Glad I never went with a forty. Near by Charlotte, N.C. was one of the first departments to use them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nothing wrong with a .40 S&W, but most folks I know can shoot better with a 9mm. The .40 has a sharp recoil and the recovery time is longer. I have also carried the .40 Glock 22 for 15 years and before that a Glock 17 in 9mm. I liked the 9mm much better. My daughter is in the police academy now and she has a Glock 17 that I got for her to use. She also has a Glock 22 but shoots the 17 better. I just like the 9mm better, less recoil and more rounds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts