Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's an interesting topic I thought of that I don't remember seeing recently:

What guns do your family or friends own that you hope to inherit someday?

When my Mother married my Stepfather, he already had some guns of his own, and when my Grandfather died , my Grandmother gave his guns to my Stepfather (Sadly, stupidly and regrettably, I wasn't interested at the time).

Now don't get me wrong... my Stepfather is a great guy and I hope he lives to be 100, and his feelings towards me are mutual, but he never had any children of his own, and his only living relatives are his Mother in a nursing home and an Aunt somewhere that he never speaks of (if she's even still alive). Therefore, considering I'm the only one in the family besides my Mother currently interested in firearms, and assuming my Stepfather doesn't sell them out of desperation (my parents are doing OK financially) and assuming I don't die tragically young, I am expecting to inherit most of his guns someday.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Nobody in my family owns guns. I come from an anti-gun family. Lucky me. Lol

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
My sister in law is anti gun. And she will not let my brother have any firearms in there home.

Though I do disagree with her, I do like the fact that I will inherit my dads entire collection when he passes.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
"I WISH" ..... :eek:
This here is an only gun owning member of a whole family for generations..... :confused:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My father has a few guns but the only one I'm really interested in is a Vietnam "bring back" SKS. The story tied to the gun alone makes it priceless to me. Unfortunately, my brother and I will have to duke it out for it :D

·
Registered
567 Posts
When the folks moved into their apartment (no guns allowed), we kids got together and divied up the guns. I got Dad's Winchester 30-30 that he got his first deer at age 65.

Also got this one, made in 1898, been in the family since 1952. First gun I shot, at age 11.

Before they moved, I had Great Grandpa's 1904 .22 barrel only. The gun was given to Dad when he was 11. The stock was broke in the early 40's. I got a 1902 stock and made the hardware, and Dad got to shoot it in 2005 (when he was 90) after all those years with no stock.

Then I spent $150 on it to get it back to original:

BTW: Dad is still alive, and we celebrated his 97th birthday last week.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I am at the "Top of the Food Chain" in our family tree. Thus it is my guns being coveted by various sons and grandsons.

Actually only a few have mentioned they would like "xxxx" when I would like to part with it. Good boys, they seem to me more interested in shooting, than in "flipping the guns for cash".

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
My dad has a Springfield Model 87 semi-auto 22 that he says he bought after he came back from the army in the early 50's.

It's in remarkably good condition. I don't think he ever really used it much.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
My step dad has a Browning Hi Power in 9mm that I'm looking forward to. I can shoot it anytime but I want that thing. :) He has a few other guns as well, but the BHP is the one I've got my eye on the most.

My biological father has his dads Remington 1100 that he will be passing down to me one day.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm doing it a little differently. Like a few of you, I'm at the top of the food chain in my family, and the guns I've collected over the years, which include a couple from relatives I've purchased before their deaths, will go to my three sons and two (so far) grandsons. My boys are all adults with homes of their own, and I've already given away a few dozen pieces that I've been holding for them over the years. Just thought that I'd rather share in the experiece with them, go shooting with them, etc. Hell, I was in the tree stand with my 11 year old grandson when he took his first buck - and with a rifle I gave him. Can't beat that, and it's a story he'll tell long after I'm gone. They'll get all of them someday, and I hope to make more memories before I'm gone that will accompany those guns.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I am the first gun owner in my family in memorie so my children and grand children will have to decide. My 2 sons in law are already arguing over my gebruder adamy drilling I purchased 3 years ago. It is a 3 rifle barrel drilling 9.3x74 double over 22 hornet I kike it so do they. Maybe I will be buried with it like the vikings. Just kidding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My father's Browning Citori 30" O/U 12 Gauge Trap Shotgun in mint condition! Beautiful shotgun.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I am at the "Top of the Food Chain" in our family tree.
Suppose the same could be said for me.
Got to get some of the children interested or they'll get sold off.
Only a step son in law with a (rifle) licence and a couple of rifles.
And that would be a crying shame. :(

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
My parents had none. One grandfather had an old H&R "pull pin" revolver, and a Colt Official Police .38. Both were so beat up and pitted, no LGS would offer anything for them. One gunsmith finally offered $50, said he could maybe salvage a few parts from them.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Going to be a big estate sale when my time comes...nobody in the family shoots...my one Grandson does security work but just shoots his carry weapon to qualify and stay current...no one else is interested. Got a couple of buddies that are about my same age and I'd guess I'll just have my guns given to either or both if they want them .... if not...then up for sale or whatever my heirs want to do...won't matter much to me then.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My dad's old rifle collection was broken up and sold off before either my brother or I had the chance to tag any of them. Mom in her older years did not accept guns in her house after Dad died, so I have no idea what happened to most of them. I'm not a rifle lover anyway, but he did have an early model Walther P38 his dad picked up during his years as a Army translator in Europe off a dead Werhmacht officer during WW2. We used to play with it as kids (had a broken firing pin), I'd -love- to have that pistol now!

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I guess I'm at the other end of this situation. I won't be getting anymore guns and need to start to think of where they will go when I no longer have an earthly need. Wish I could take 'em with me. Is God pro-gun? (its a joke, don't answer it).

·
Registered
556 Posts
A few years back my Dad made a list of which guns my brother and I would be getting upon his departure. I think the Browning Citori is the one I'm most anxious to get. I had my choice of it or a Beretta over under, I got to try them both on the Skeet range at Tyndall AFB a few years ago and I did a lot better with the Browning, They are both awesome guns but the Browning was a better fit for me.

Since I only have one son, he will get a bunch of guns when I go. He wants my Remington 700.

·
Registered
785 Posts
My father in law may give me some of his guns, but most are the same as mine as I'll buy something, he'll like it, and go buy one himself. He does have some S&W service revolvers from his NYPD days back in the day, but I'm sure those will go to his own kids.

·
Registered
28 Posts
An H&R Sportsman top break .22lr revolver owned originally by my grandfather. Quirky and unique by today's design standards, sentimental family value, and made with pride locally at a different time.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts