Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya, guys.
next month there will be a gun show in my town.
i wanna go but i don't wanna be the chick who got fleeced.
i guess they mostly have used guns?
my problem is i don't know anything about revolvers.
i've been wanting a single 10 n a single 7.
i know what single 10s go for in the closest gunshop [90 miles] so ifi find a new one maybe i can save the drive.
but a single 7 will be used n i hear many have problems.
can you tell me what to check on a revolver?
amazon has a bore light for $8 so i can check the bore, but how can i tell if the cylinder lines up?
or whatever else is there that i should check?

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Susieqz - 1st of all good for you for getting the info you can before you go.

I'm going to let the more knowledgeable answer your pistol questions, I'm not too familiar with those you mentioned. The bore light is always a good idea though. Once, that is, you learn not to shine the dang thing right into your eye. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you're looking for a revolver, check each cylinder line up with the barrel, unloaded of course, cock the hammer back and see that the cylinder doesn't move, do it for each one. If they're not lined up and secure, your shots will be off and can spit lead to each side, That would be the major thing I would check, good luck.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
If I hear a particular model has problems I would stay away from it Unless you don't mind sending it back to the manufacture for repairs.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ken, you are absolutely right but 32 cal full size guns are impossible to find.
the single 7 looked so great, i fell in love at first sight. then i heard of all the problems n ruger cs couldn't help because it's limited edition so few spare parts.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
In my experience at least 3/4 of the firearms at a gun show are brand new FFL dealers - less than 1/4 are private sellers who have tables with mostly used but some like new or new in box - and some private sellers attending carrying a firearm or two around without a table.
In the past couple years my experience has been that there are hardly any bargains to be had at a gun show and the sale prices at a couple of my local gun stores routinely meet or beat anything I have seen at the show.
a gun show is a good place to see and even touch lots of different makes an models both new and no longer in production - and a god place to do comparison price shopping if you can keep track of where you saw the previous example of the thing you are pricing.

At gun shows I have both passed on an item hopping to find it less farther in only to return to find the lowest price item already sold and purchased the first of something I found because I had been looking and looking only to find two or three other sellers with a couple dollars less.

If you have a good idea what you want and what it should be worth you should be okay. You can google a make and model with the word price attached and you should get plenty of hits - though the top one will often be gun broker, which often has outrageously high prices - but at least you can get an idea - and if you have a smart phone you can check the price while at the show. Although not all stores have inventory and price listed on line -places like Gander Mountain and Cabelas at least can give you can idea of the MRSP and a high selling price.

·
Banned
575 Posts
You say that you want to get into revolvers, but I'm not understanding why you are interested in single action types.

Your selection of double action revolvers would be vastly bigger than single actions at any gun show. Double action revolvers are far easier to operate than single actions.

Unless you have some need to replicate to old west for some reason I suggest that you stick to double action types.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,153 Posts
arquebus357, I don't think anything could be simpler than a single action revolver.

susieqz, My suggestion to you .... if you don't know much about used guns ... avoid them and stick with brand new guns. Yes, occasionally there are used gun bargains at gun shows but there are also a lot of mechanically defective used guns that people try to sell .... mostly because there's not a good way to inspect them. In my area, all firearms at gun shows must be secured with a nylon tie strap so the action can not be operated.

You can do a little research on the Internet for MSRPs .... For Rugers, the factory Ruger.com web site has the MSRPs for all their models. There is about a 40% markup in new guns (dealer cost versus MSRP) so it is not unusual to find a $100 difference in a specific model .... guess it all depends on how much the dealer has to charge to make a profit.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I'm with Iowegan, Susie. Gun shows are not the place for a beginner to buy guns. It's not necessarily a matter of a seller trying to cheat you, though those types are out there; it's also a matter of some sellers not knowing a lot about the guns they are selling, given the way that guns go back and forth across the tables. A seller may take a gun on trade and have little to offer as to its history or the way it shoots and so on, not to mention being a little fuzzy on the current market value and reasonable pricing.

Unless you really know, and I mean total familiarity with a model in question, it's risky. Yes, I've picked up some great guns at shows, but they were guns models that I knew like the back of my hand and, in many cases, I knew more about the gun than the seller. I strictly avoid gun models I don't know.

Find a good gun shop in your area, one that has a good rep for taking care of its customers. If you get a used gun that isn't right, a good shop will take it back within a certain grace period and will also take the time to let you examine the gun and ask questions. If you do hit a gun show, at the very least take someone who really knows guns with you.

Best of luck.

·
Banned
575 Posts
arquebus357, I don't think anything could be simpler than a single action revolver.
The single action revolver mechanism is simpler but the reloading of the cylinder via the loading gate rather than the swing out cylinder of a double action revolver is a comparative pain in the butt. Never mind the need to cock the hammer for every shot.

I realize this is a single action revolver forum but she, at least, needs a little education if she isn't familiar with the differences between the two types.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
thanks, guys. great info n i really need it. that article is great, dalee.
there are no gunshops in this area, just a lumberyard that charges full msrp.
i'm real happy to hear that there are new guns at shows.

at least i may find new single 10.
it's very hard for me to drive 90 miles to a gun shop.
driving hurts.
yup, i want a cowboy gun.
don't need no double action on the high plains.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Why not consider buying a new revolver? Dealers at a gun show are not going to make a fantastic deal on a used revolver. I can get a S&W airweight (J Frame) new in the box for under $350, more like $335.

You can buy a used Model 10 for $300 at J&G sales. They also have some with a heavy target barrel for the same price. Most of these guns are used police trade ins. They are in good shape and in working condition. Most of these guns were put into service in the mid 70s. Parts are plentiful for a model 10 right now.
http://www.jgsales.com/smith-wesson...rrel,-g-vg-condition,-used,-s-w.-p-63524.html

After you have a new revolver for a while you know how everything is supposed to look, feel and sound. No one can teach you how to buy a revolver in an internet forum. You go to the range with your revolver. You meet people who have a revolver/s. You shoot their revolver. You see a broken revolver. Then you start learning what to look for.

To know what a given gun is worth you have to do some legwork. It is not as simple as buying the blue book of guns. If the book bought guns no one would have a used gun for sale. In fact, I have seen a lot of gun prices in the blue book of guns that were more than you could buy the gun for new. You watch auctions. When the auction has closed you know what that gun is worth. Someone plunked down their hard earned cash and bought that gun. Sunday evenings are a good time to browse auctions. Most people set their auction to close when a lot of people are online.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks crow. i already know what i'll pay for a new single 10.
it's the price 90 miles away plus $30 for milage plus pain n suffering.
i just wanna pay less than msrp n not drive far.
driving hurts.
i'm gonna play annie oakley.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am in the go to look, touch, and maybe buy some cheap brass club when it comes to gun shows. Never found a deal worth jumping at in the ladt 8 years or so.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, i'm gonna look. i got this p85 i'd love to trade for anything at all because i hate it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
ruger cs couldn't help because it's limited edition so few spare parts.
i dont think i would worry about that so much now
they are making them at a pretty good clip
they keep all 3 barrel lengths listed in the catalog now

8160 7 327 Fed Mag Hardwood Stainless Ramp 5.5" 11" Lipsey's
8161 7 327 Fed Mag Hardwood Stainless Ramp 4.625" 10.25" Lipsey's
8162 7 327 Fed Mag Hardwood Stainless Ramp 7.5" 13" Lipsey's

one is my short list for sure :D

·
Registered
760 Posts
susieqz you may also want to check prices on gunamerica.com or gunbroker.com. My SP101 in 327 Federal is a sweet gun.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
The gun shows around here are mostly dealers selling new guns so that's a plus for you, assuming your gun show is the same. And SA revolvers are great - a very pleasant way to spend hours at the range plinking away without burning through a lot of ammo. You'll enjoy it I bet. I enjoy my 22/45 LITE and my Single Six (and a bunch of others) - it's all good.

Good luck and happy hunting!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts