Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker of mine has the Gunsite Scout and is having a hard time finding a accurate hunting round. He doesn't hand load so factory ammo is his only route. He is getting horrible groups, 3-5 MOA at a hundred yards. He is shooting Winchester soft points and Remington Core-Lokt 150 and 180 gr. His scope and mount has been checked and is good to go.
What have shooters on the forum here been using in their Rugers for hunting that in your opinion will bring good groups?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dont have a Gunsite, but I had the same issue with Core Lokts in my Remmy 700, I switched to hornady light magnums for it and my accuracy improved greatly. I believe the ones I have been using are 147 gr though.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
You just have to keep looking until you find the cartridge & bullet combination that your rilfe likes best.

I tried 3 different brands of 170 grain JSP in my 30-30 and the differences in accuracy were amazing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just thought maybe somebody had found a certain weight of bullet that was giving them good consistent groups with the length and twist rate of the Scout barrel.
Thanks ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've not shot my GSR for accuracy yet, the plinking and practice ammo I have in .308 is not expected to give sterling accuracy.

For that, I'd think Federal Gold Medal Match would be an excellent choice to see how accurate the rifle is capable of shooting, then I'd choose a good factory hunting round.

Go to Grafs, Ammoman, Cheaper-than-dirt, or MidwayUSA to find your hunting rounds listed. Those folks stock a lot more variety than all but the largest sporting goods stores such as Bass Pro or Cabela's. Ordering ammo online is easy.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
I like Federal Premium Gold Metal Matchking BTHP in 168 grain best for factory ammo.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
It seems you're using only a sampling of 2 and they're hunting rounds and not match. That's a pretty narrow sample rate.

Try others and to make you feel good, try a 'match' grade ammo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
+1 for 168 gr match(we use Federal). When shot from a bench, or bags, 168 gr match may provide a baseline for the accuracy of the rifle.

Beyond a baseline, I agree that there is a certain combination of "that rifle" with "this ammo(or load)".

Our shoots moa with Federal 165 sp.

Enjoy the process.

Please share what you find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got 1/2 MOA out of my GSR with Fed AE "M1A" 168gr OTM rounds. I used M118 LR military ammo and got just under 1 MOA.

Hornady superformance 179gr AMAX -1 MOA, but would not extract. Same problem with the 168gr Horandy. Anyone else have extraction problems with Horandy?

I also tryed Win 150gr SuperX soft points, Fed power point 150gr, and Win 150gr E-tips. 1 1/2-2 MOA on all them.

My scope is a Burris posi-lock 3-7 long eye relief. It is made for handguns, but works just fine.

I will try to build a recipe to match the Fed M1A ammo, but if anyone has a good one I will try it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
also the fed 168 grain match

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I had to go a step further with my scope mount on my GSR. It seems that River did not wash the oil out of the threaded holes for the scope rail. I had to remove the scope, rail screws and then flush out the holes and the screw threads with a solvent. Then after drying I applied blue locktite to the screws, allowed it to dry and then reassemble. It solved my problem.

Finding the right load for accuracy can be a lot of testing - expensive. I like hornady factory ammo, 147gr. I'm out of town right now, but there are not too many that have that bullet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i wanted 50 mm acope so i removed the rail . also wanted a rear mounted scope .

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have the GSR SS 308 and reload Hornady 125 Gr SST and the 155 Gr A Max bullets w/H322 powder and have had consistent groups of .50" to .75" at 100 yds. Just don't let the barrel get hot. I never shot any factory ammo through it.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,336 Posts
I have the GSR with the 18.7" barrel with just the stock iron sights. I shoot a 1" group at 100 yards with any of the Hornady Superformance .308 ammo.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I would try match ammo from a rest to see what the gun's accuracy potential is. then try premium hunting ammo and work from there.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Federal Gold Medal Match is always the best bet to determine a .308's accuracy potential if you are limited to factory loads. You could also try Australian Outback or Black Hills ammo loaded with a Sierra Matchking bullet.
For hunting loads you'll just have to try several brands of premium loads, start with Federal premium. I didn't see the best accuracy in my two GSR's with Hornady SuperPerformance, the emphasis with those loads is max velocity more than accuracy.
However, my groups went from 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" with the Super Performance factory loads, to just over an inch using the same SST bullet in a hand load tuned to what my GSR prefers. If you want the best accuracy with any given bullet, you need to get into reloading. Otherwise, you will need to buy a variety of factory loads, and you might get lucky and find one that shoots great.
I ended up finding a load with the 168 grain Hornady A-Max that groups a consistent 3/4" for 5 shots at 100 yards, with an occasional group going 5/8". Velocity with IMR-4064 powder is a bit on the low side, but I can live with that, considering sub inch groups out of a 16" barreled carbine. I use a Nikon 2.5-8x pistol scope mounted out on the Scout rail, and have figured out the slightly increased drop to match my BDC circles using the excellent Nikon Spot-On app.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Some questions...what scope is he using? 2.5X Scout Scope? How is the trigger pull? Is he an experienced shooter and does he have other centerfire rifles of similar recoil that he shoots MOA size groups with? Is he using a bipod or a sandbag rest?

Reason I ask is I have seen a lot more "inaccurate shooters" than rifles...

That said, if he is a good shot and has had someone one else who is a good shot shoot the rifle and it is still not shooting the loads well, I would pull the receiver sight off and put a standard eye relief scope on of as much magnification you can without having to remove the rib and test the ammo with that scope.

I have a GSR with two scopes.. #1 is a Burris 2-7 with Ballistic Drop reticle. #2 is a Leupold 4.5-14x40mm Long Range 30mm tube. With 165 grain Hornady SST and 168 grain Sierra Match it shoots under MOA out to 600 yards. Have not tried anything lighter in the gun as I have standardized on this weight range for all my .308s...

Also have all the bedding and crossbolt screws been checked for proper tightness?

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an export Australian version of GSR in 18" SS .308. I have always used Winchester SMK HPBT 155 gr (palma match factory ammo).

My groups started off at 1.5" with the above mentioned ammo, however with practise are now down to .6" - 1" groups off a bipod at 100m. I use a SWFA 3-9x42 FFP scope.

For factory ammo this is great i think. Its also been an effective hunting cartridge on goat, as long as its a head/spine shot @ 100 - 150m. Haven't tried taking anything beyond those ranges yet.

I have recently taken up reloading these past 2 weeks, using 168 Hornady match HPBT with groups of 1 inch.

Yesterday tried Winchester factory 175 HPBT match with groups of .66" at 100m off a bipod.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts