Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a good forward mount scope choice for the gunsite scout? I was looking at the leupold scout 2.5x28mm and the burris scout 2.75x20mm. I think i like the idea of a fixed power sight, lighter and lower profile than a adjustable scope. Plus the burris is a tad cheaper with more magnification. Will i notice any difference between the 28mm and 20mm objective lens? I plan to use this setup mainly for the shooting range. Possibly some close hunting and a nice bugout rifle. Also what is a good set of quick release scope rings that yall have used on the gunsite scout

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've had the Burris on my Scout almost from day one and five years later I still have no complaints. It's mounted with Leupold QR scope (low mount) rings and I've actually had it off and on several times and it has maintained it's "Zero".

Deacon Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whats the farthest distance you have shot with the burris? Im not quite sure if i want to invest $300-350 in a scope right now but the burris for $230 isnt bad

·
Registered
206 Posts
Weaver K series scout on a Rossie 94, 4x28 fixed power. Never not held zero and is clear but what I do not like is the narrow field of view @100yds like most scout scopes.

·
Sky Marshal
184 Posts
You should be able to look up the specifications of the two scopes on line, they will also show you the reticle design.

The difference in objective lens diameter will show up in two ways.
1. The smaller objective will generally have a narrower field of view at the same power. The Burris has a 15 ft. field of view at 100 yards, the Leupold has a 22 ft. at 100 yds.
2. The amount of light the scope gathers is directly related to the size of the objective lens. All things being equal, the Leupold should be usable in less light than the Burris will be. However, lens coatings can offset this somewhat.

As far as QD scope mounts, I used some Leupold rings to mount a Vortex variable scout scope on my GSR. They've worked pretty well so far, although I haven't shot the rifle all that much. They have little levers instead of knobs to take the scope on and off the Picatinny rail. They were recommended by the LGS where I bought the scope.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts