Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy just got one of these. Laminate, black 16.5 ? Inch. I'm in lust!
He has a .308. I'm thinking .223, because I don't hunt and it's cheaper to feed.
Opinions? Scopes?
Thanks
Lyle

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Me again.
Our government is poised to be stupid. I think a bolt action fun gun is in order. Thinking of getting out of handguns.
Lyle

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got the 5.56 and I love it. Great gun for me. I live in the woods and don't hunt, but it is perfect if you need to blast a rabid critter. Accurate at 50 and 100yds. Also fun as hell to shoot. A great utility rifle.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Fantastic rifle. Leupold 1.5-4 VX2 Scout scope, Warne QR rings.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My vote is for an 18" .308 GSR in stainless. And wrapped in a Poly stock now that they are available.
Unfortunately, mine is currently laminate.
I have also removed the factory flash hider and installed a Fortis RED Hybrid 2-chamber Brake/Compensator in it's place.
Add a full length XS rail if you want to use a scope in the conventional location.
Use the forward pacatinny rail and a scout scope in the forward position.
Many different flavors of forward mounted scout scopes.
Find one that fits in your price range.
I have installed a forward mounted Leatherwood 2~7x .308 BDC scout scope.
Great for both eyes open, fast target acquisition and in low light. Stick on some yellow lens protectors. Extends your hunting time in low light conditions.
Throw a decent sling on it. I use a ching sling. Others work just as well.
Pull the bolt out and get a knob job. (On the bolt, silly.) A larger, knurled sniper knob for better control.
With reloads, 46gr. of Hodgdon Varget Go Fast behind a Remington 165gr BTSP, mine shoots sub-minute cold bore shots out to 400 yds.
Bangs a 10" plate at 600 all day long.
Factory ammo was a different story.
Closest I got with factory was 1-1/2 MOA at 100yds.
All the way out to 5 MOA groups for some of the shelf ammo.
5 MOA means you just completely missed a 55 gallon barrel at 600 yds.
Reloads for me.
Pretty holes in paper, rings the chime, blood on the ground, and meat in the freezer. And...I just like a stainless hunting rifle. (Yowie wrap mine when I hit the woods. Ghillie wrap, if you will.) Can't ask anything more of it.
My GSR is definitely a fine running piece of machinery.
There are many like it. This one is mine. :cool:

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have a stainless .223/5.56 GSR and is has been great, no handling or mechanical issues. Its just a range gun for me so the .223 is much cheaper to shoot. With my eyes, I put on a Redfield 3-9x scope. Accuracy is good and getting better as I work up loads for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts