Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by the local Gunsmith shop today to get an idea what a Geissele G2S trigger would cost to have installed. I've never done one myself (first AR) and wanted to make sure the job was done correctly and professionally. Am I off base by thinking this guy wants to charge me a $150 to $175 to swap a trigger, thats just labor not the trigger. Go easy guys, I'm new to the AR thing. Thanks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Stopped by the local Gunsmith shop today to get an idea what a Geissele G2S trigger would cost to have installed. I've never done one myself (first AR) and wanted to make sure the job was done correctly and professionally. Am I off base by thinking this guy wants to charge me a $150 to $175 to swap a trigger, thats just labor not the trigger. Go easy guys, I'm new to the AR thing. Thanks.

Afternoon ArcticCat500

WAYYYYY off base as it is about a 10 minute do-it-yourself job.

The Geissele G2S comes with decent directions & if you are still a little hesitant you can call Geissele & they will talk you through installing it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gunner Bill, Thanks for the input. I'm 99% confident I can do the job myself, being my first AR I was a bit reluctant to try.....but I think I just might. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
If you have a slight amount of mechanical ability, you will find it a simple installation. I am sure that there are You Tube videos on this as well.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,110 Posts
Yes very simple process, and $175 to install, he is also throwing in a jar of vaseline, to ease your discomfort if you catch my drift. Its may take you 20 mins as a novice to install, 5 for a veteran. I would look up you tube, and see some install video's. If you have questions, than you always have the guys here on the forum to rely on. Just as comparison, I build complete ar's from scratch for $100-$150, that includes assembling everything ,what ever parts they specify, triggers, barrels, everything. You see my my point. Save that $150 for other necessary equipment, mags, ammo, sights. Etc.;)

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
He COULD be claiming he's going to do some polishing or spring tuning, for that price, possibly ensuring proper function and tuning. That might be a generic price on an AR trigger install, which might include the work that generic AR triggers cost.

Yeah, it'll take 5min-20min to install, even for a novice, but if you're doing any fitting of oversized pins, polishing interacting surfaces, tuning springs, he'd still not be justified in his prices. Smithing hourly charges tend to be somewhere between $50-100 per hour, and it sure doesn't take 2hrs even to do a competition level tune job a Geiselle AR trigger. A guy can spend far more time on another AR trigger install...

But then again, for 99% of guys, the Geiselle triggers are so near to perfect without any tuning that they might as well be considered MORE than perfect, without any tuning.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
What is he including in his service? It might be worth the price, or might not.

Locally, you're looking at about $35 for just swapping the parts and a basic function test. If you need it tuned, or there is other work included, it could go higher.

Jeff

·
Registered
17,084 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I explained what I wanted, removal of current trigger install new one.....quoted $150/$175. I asked if that was trigger included he said no just the install.

Hey gunjunkie, thanks for the video, that'll help.

What is he including in his service? It might be worth the price, or might not.

Locally, you're looking at about $35 for just swapping the parts and a basic function test. If you need it tuned, or there is other work included, it could go higher.

Jeff

·
Registered
323 Posts
Morning ArcticCat500;

Just keep in mind that the video posted above is for the SSA trigger & you inquired about the G2S trigger. (similar but different triggers)

The G2S has a slightly different hammer pin retaining system (spring clip) not shown in the video (refer to the PDF posted earlier for the G2S hammer pin retention spring clip).

Not a big difference but you need to get that hammer pin retainer installed correctly or the hammer pin will walk out on you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts